1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 866     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 349     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford point is so smart that he thinks the Scarborough LRT would run in the middle of street, that was my last straw with that clown.

Rock stars fight for the little guy, deliver subways for Scarborough, reduce the debt, save billions to give us the lowest taxes on the continent, and give thousands of jobs to the people. Rock stars don't smoke crack cocaine. Rob Ford is straight as an arrow but the left just can't stop attacking the man. Get over it you leftards!

Which debt has he reduced? Which billions has he saved? I doubt Toronto has the lowest taxes in North America and which jobs has Ford created through actual policies that he has implemented?

Ford is going to run on the campaign mantra "Promise Made. Promise Kept" while Olivia Chow's campaign is being built on "One Toronto", a strategy that will mostly ignore Ford (leaving the negative campaigning to external groups) and sell pride in Toronto as one city, together.

Brilliant strategy. Pull on our heartstrings; instill civic pride. This is exactly what our growing city needs right now.

Do we know where exactly she stand, particularly on the transit issue? I'd imagine if she'll be selling the idea of civic pride that she must have some big plans for the city, perhaps on the scale of OneCity.

Rock stars fight for the little guy, deliver subways for Scarborough, reduce the debt, save billions to give us the lowest taxes on the continent, and give thousands of jobs to the people. Rock stars don't smoke crack cocaine. Rob Ford is straight as an arrow but the left just can't stop attacking the man. Get over it you leftards!

My jaw dropped and I nearly screamed. Then I checked the username. Keep up the good work Forgotten :eek:

I'm not surprised. Frankly, I expected this to happen a lot sooner...either because of what you've described, or just people hounding you in general. As soon as I saw threads about your posts on Reddit, I knew it was over. Oh well, you had a good run...

I'm curious. UrbanToronto is my Reddit. I don't go there but I'd like to read what was said about me.

I've also been saying (half-jokingly, but only half) that the campaign should do whatever it takes to get Kardinal to allow them to use this song:

It's more like this.
[video=youtube;-G1nR_Cox_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1nR_Cox_A[/video]

The rough concept video that I saw almost brought tears to my eyes. I walked away thinking "I LOVE TORONTO!"

Hasn't Carroll said otherwise? Not that she'll run, per se, but that she hasn't said that she won't?

Not publicly. She did soften her rhetoric. In the height of the Ford crack scandal, she all but said in words that she was running. I'm told that she's amongst several city councillors who made guarantees to the Laschinger team that they will not run against Olivia. If Chow for some reason decides to pull out, then it would be a race but she's not only already made up her mind, she's actively involved in preparing the campaign. Olivia Chow is running.

I'm pretty worried that the left will get a little lazy going into the campaign, underestimate the guy again, and assume that there's no way he can win again...and totally misjudge his base. Again.

I was worried about the same thing but Ford coming out of this scandal alive could have actually been good for those preparing to campaign against him. If they were left thinking that he had no chance at re-election, they might have underestimated him. This isn't the case, trust me. They're very aware that they have to convince a lot of people to abandon a "religion" and as a former catholic myself, I know that it's a losing battle trying to rationalize with people who strongly believe in something irrational.

To win an election, you don't have to get 100% of the vote so it's a good strategy to pick the 40-50% of the electorate that you need to win the election. Ford Nation isn't it. They're going to leave his supporters alone and go after people who are looking for inspiration, aspiration and leadership. They're going after people who are earning to love their city again. I may be biased and it may be funny to say this but after hearing the pitch and watching the concept video, I was convinced all over again about the importance of electing a Mayor who can make you proud in your city. I don't need any convincing of course, but it renewed my resolve and I think that many Torontonians are going to gather around this positive movement.

I just got really really excited for 2014 to arrive! Then for the first time in my life, I got excited that Summer is over. We've got 3 months before this election begins! Ford's term is almost over! wow...

I'm curious. UrbanToronto is my Reddit. I don't go there but I'd like to read what was said about me.

Oh, nothing too interesting. Just a couple of threads like this.

It's more like this.

See, I'm kinda worried about that. If it's a watered down, whitewashed (pun intended), and safe touristy-type video/song/campaign then it might not do much to bring people who might not otherwise traditionally vote into the fold. Olivia has a lot of cache among that crowd, I think...her campaign needs to capitalize on that energy.

The rough concept video that I saw almost brought tears to my eyes. I walked away thinking "I LOVE TORONTO!"

You've mentioned it a few times now. I'm really curious to see it.

I was worried about the same thing but Ford coming out of this scandal alive could have actually been good for those preparing to campaign against him.

It's Joe Sorta-Leftist/Centrist-Rational Toronto I'm worried about, not her campaign.

...and as a former catholic myself, I know that it's a losing battle trying to rationalize with people who strongly believe in something irrational.

Heh...if you want to raise an atheist like me, just send them to Catholic school ;)

...and I think that many Torontonians are going to gather around this positive movement.

Man, I hope you're right. The politics of division disgusts me.

I just got really really excited for 2014 to arrive! Then for the first time in my life, I got excited that Summer is over.

I'd take a year of Octobers over anything! This weather is perfect.

Ford is going to run on the campaign mantra "Promise Made. Promise Kept" while Olivia Chow's campaign is being built on "One Toronto", a strategy that will mostly ignore Ford (leaving the negative campaigning to external groups) and sell pride in Toronto as one city, together. It'll pitch Olivia's positive vision for the city offering a refuge from the tired scandal after scandal. Adam Vaughan and even Shelly Carroll have both given guarantees that they will not run for Mayor.

This strategy has worked very well for the Provincial Liberals. The teachers Union spent more money being negative on the Conservatives than the Conservatives spend during the entire election. This also freed the Liberals up to be positive during the campaign. All it cost the Liberals was 5 or 10% more pay for teachers and 10 or 20% more jobs for teachers, which the taxpayers were glad to cover.

I am not sure, but I thought there was some type of limit on third party advertising for Municipal politics.

Ha! Interesting read. I'm not a barista or bartender though some of the points made about my loss of source after the Ford office resignations are indeed unfortunately true. Still, I'm receiving information, just not as close to Ford as I used to.

Oh, and now I get why I have been hounded by the media. I've never attempted to hide my identity, perhaps that was a mistake. Still, it's funny though how a reporter from a paper was pestering me for information on a source who's a reporter at that same paper.

You've mentioned it a few times now. I'm really curious to see it.

I saw it on a cellphone -- the concept campaign ad, not that video. :rolleyes: It showed footage of Torontonians from all cultures in different landmark locations saying "One Toronto" in different languages. This was meant to allow for any candidate to be plugged in but imagine that now that Olivia is indeed running, they'll be mixing in footage of her as well. Sprinkle in some local celebrities (most of which can't wait to get rid of Ford) and you've got a powerful ad instilling civic pride. Even though it was just a concept, I didn't find it touristy or tacky in any way. It felt like a movement and no doubt social media is going to play a big part in rolling the snowball.

I wish Josh Matlow would run. Is it cocky for a first time councillor to run for mayor? Maybe one day...

I keep getting this bad feeling that Rob Ford will win again. It wasn't very inspiring to hear Robyn Doolittle at the Word On The Street festival say that she thinks it's very likely that he will win. Whoever he faces will have to do really well in a suburb and, at the moment, the suburbs is Ford Country.

Last edited:
It's more like this.

Chow had better not pull on my heartstrings. I love this city more than just about anything. Bringing tears to my eyes should be a relatively easy task :cool:

Heh...if you want to raise an atheist like me, just send them to Catholic school ;)

Do I get points for not needing Catholic School? I've been skeptical of this stuff since I was in diapers :eek:

I wish Josh Matlow would run. Is it cocky for a first time councillor to run for mayor? Maybe one day...

I keep getting this bad feeling that Rob Ford will win again. It wasn't very inspiring to hear Robyn Doolittle at the Word On The Street festival say that she thinks it's very likely that he will win. Whoever he faces will have to do really well in a suburb and, at the moment, the suburbs is Ford Country.

I don't think he'd have much of a chance. Give it a few more years,

I saw it on a cellphone -- the concept campaign ad, not that video. :rolleyes: It showed footage of Torontonians from all cultures in different landmark locations saying "One Toronto" in different languages.

That sounds like a cheesy low budget Saturday morning cartoons PSA. But I'll take your word for it that it's nothing less brilliant.

Last edited:
It wasn't very inspiring to hear Robyn Doolittle at the Word On The Street festival say that she thinks it's very likely that he will win. Whoever he faces will have to do really well in a suburb and, at the moment, the suburbs is Ford Country.

I disagree. I want people to think that. Or, rather, I want people to think that it's very likely that he can win. No one can lose sight of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back