1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 899     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford has basically lost the support of the rich Conservatives that donate big money. They'll be supporting another right wing candidate. And then we'll have Karen Stintz as well running. Makes me wonder if the conservative vote could end up being split three ways. That's not good news for Ford considering that at best (1:1 race, Chow v. Ford), he has 30% support at the moment.

The same thing could happen to Chow, but she's apparently gotten assurances that Adam Vaughan and Sheryl Kelly won't be running.

If you mean Shelley Carroll, apparently that's not true: https://twitter.com/shelleycarroll/status/382244702369497090

I dunno; whatever even the Robyn Doolittles out there say, I'm still skeptical about Ford's prospects of reelection. Or at least, the key to defeating him isn't what a lot of high-minded may think, even if it's sitting there right in front of us.

Absolutely. It will just take one - and only one - credible candidate, and an intelligent anti-Ford campaign, and the guy is sure to lose. I mean, the attack ads write themselves!

If Stintz and another credible candidate run, then we've got a problem. Ford and Stintz wouldn't split the conservative vote, as somebody said. Stintz and e.g. Chow would split the anti-Ford vote. Isn't that what the polls show?

PM Harpers announcement via twitter

Stephen Harper ‏@pmharper 3m
Our gov't will continue to deliver for the GTA by supporting the Scarborough Subway extension: http://ow.ly/p6lCB #cdnpoli #topoli

Details to be released tomorrow. Based on comments from Rob Ford the Feds must be making a very substantial contribution.

Great news for the great citizens of the great City of Toronto!

Rob Ford just got the transit he promised. Dude is SO getting re-elected. I'm going to watch this thread explode when he does. :cool:

Today, I think it's very likely that the Teflon Man will get a second term. However, it's anyone's guess what carnage this man could leave behind between tomorrow and election day. And it's precisely that which keeps me going.

Family-MD-2013-09-20-003.jpg

Cyclists at Ford Fest - A blog post I wrote for Dandyhorse Magazine:
http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2013/09/21/ford-fest-features-burgers-and-bikes/

So, is that a lineup for food in behind? If so, wow, party-hardy at Fordfest..... Not.

Last edited:
Today, I think it's very likely that the Teflon Man will get a second term. However, it's anyone's guess what carnage this man could leave behind between tomorrow and election day. And it's precisely that which keeps me going.

IMO it depends on who ends up running. There needs to be a good centrist-conservative alternative if Ford is to be defeated.

If we don't find one, the attention should then be focused on preventing Ford and the conservative election machine from defeating centrist councillors who could (and have) temper Ford's ability to wreak havoc across the city.

That map is hilarious. I love how the red line begins between Main and Victoria Park stations. I had no idea that there was new construction needed between those two stations!

The area would need to reinforce the under pinning to support the Ferris Wheel at Shopper's World. :p

Harper only gave us $660 million, which means that $400 million will still need to be raised.

Surely you jest, the total will be more like 3.4Bn in the low end, to 4.2Bn in the high end when all is said and done.

Last edited:
I doubt if anyone who is truly on the right of centre will run against Ford and effectively split the vote to Chow's advantage.

The left however is a totally different camp populated by a horde of self possessed saviours-to-be who really can't comprehend that the electorate may not agree that they and they alone are the One anointed by the God of your choice to save Toronto.

A third group exists, those who don't know what they stand for, they just enjoy standing.

I would love to see only two candidates on my ballot, Ford and Chow. Let the chips fall where they may.

It's so nice to see the crack conspiracy slowly fade away, can finally start reading the newspaper again without wanting to bash my head into the closest wall. You can only chase a story for so long... The conspirators about Rob Ford smoking crack, are almost worse then UFO conspirators.

No video of Rob Ford smoking crack ever existed, it was probably of him smoking weed, and after the story about Trudeau, Wynne, and Ford smoking weed in their past (or present, who knows or cares), it seems this forced crack scandal is fading. As a Ford supporter, I would like to sincerely thank the Star for this summer's free Ford Promotion. When you throw someone's name in the paper for 5 months about something you still have no proof of, it's just helping him. :)

He's still going to get re-elected.... ;)

That has been obvious all year!

Ford is a smart guy, Wynne and Murray plays games on the transit talk, so go to the Federal level. Even if we don't get the full amount from the feds, it's still a good sign that someone is actually fighting for proper transit in Scarborough.

The Wynne and Murray plan would do more harm than good, it would force a LOT of commuters on to shuttle buses for a few years making their travel time much longer. Of course this is what they were hoping, because then they can blame it on Ford for wanting transit! PSH, good luck, the guy's too smart.

GO FORD NATION! <3

Chow or Stintz would never get this kind of support you see below. Twist it however you want, but the guy is a rock star!

Last edited:
Twist it however you want, but the guy is a rock star!

A rock star who has had a negative approval rating for almost his entire tenure. Twist that however you want, it will be an uphill climb for him to get reelected. Unless he can get his approval turned around, there are far more scenarios in which he looses than wins.

Also, I wonder how many of the people who showed up to Ford Fest actually live in the 416 area code?

Also, where's MM at? I need to assuage this rage regarding the video.

I've been keeping quiet for two reasons:

1) I don't have any new info.
2) I've been contacted persistently by reporters who have tried through varied questioning gymnastics to get me to give up my sources and I've been followed on here, Twitter, and possibly Facebook by The Star's lead lawyer.

If any of the info I received was acquired and divulged to me illegally, I'm not aware of the process, only the final information but I do know it's not worth the aggravation. So I'll continue to comment, and if I'm told anything, I'll keep it to myself until it's clear that it'll be made public. You'll just have to read between the lines if I do know something new.

That said, I can talk about a few things.

One is that the Conservatives are buckling on their -- until recently -- strategy to run another candidate and may yet come out in support of Ford. Amazing how things have changed so dramatically from the imminent collapse of Rob Ford's office and the then apparently inevitable ostracizing of Ford, his brother and any of his inner group who remained.

Ford is going to run on the campaign mantra "Promise Made. Promise Kept" while Olivia Chow's campaign is being built on "One Toronto", a strategy that will mostly ignore Ford (leaving the negative campaigning to external groups) and sell pride in Toronto as one city, together. It'll pitch Olivia's positive vision for the city offering a refuge from the tired scandal after scandal. Adam Vaughan and even Shelly Carroll have both given guarantees that they will not run for Mayor.

As for Karen Stintz, she was (is?) trying hard to become the standard barer for the Conservatives and while they were looking outside of municipal politics for a candidate, she was increasingly becoming a viable choice for the Conservative machine to run. But Ford's luck has undeniably changed and he's once again looking like an attractive option. I mean, if he weathered a crack cocaine scandal and came out alive, then nothing can hurt this guy.

If he does have the right's support and campaign financing then I think he'll put up a good fight but that Olivia with the Laschinger team will very likely win the next election.

Now to comment on the video, I'm very confident from what I've heard and from who I've heard it from that it is in several hands, some of which could become slippery. Will the video come out soon? It's anybody's guess. Will it come out eventually? Absolutely. Is the video important? It would no doubt help to bring this whole situation to some sort of resolution, but at this point it doesn't really matter. Ford will never step down, he must be defeated at the polls and video or no video, most of Toronto is tired of hearing about it and putting up with Ford's scandals. He'll never get the support of the 20% or so that he lost after becoming Mayor. His only chance at re-election is a vote split, but I don't think that enough high profile candidates are going to run to pull support away from Olivia Chow.

Chow or Stintz would never get this kind of support you see below. Twist it however you want, but the guy is a rock star!

Rock stars fight for the little guy, deliver subways for Scarborough, reduce the debt, save billions to give us the lowest taxes on the continent, and give thousands of jobs to the people. Rock stars don't smoke crack cocaine. Rob Ford is straight as an arrow but the left just can't stop attacking the man. Get over it you leftards!

...it's not worth the aggravation.

I'm not surprised. Frankly, I expected this to happen a lot sooner...either because of what you've described, or just people hounding you in general. As soon as I saw threads about your posts on Reddit, I knew it was over. Oh well, you had a good run...

But if you ever hear something that you just have to get off your chest and share, I'm just a PM away ;)

One is that the Conservatives are buckling on their -- until recently -- strategy to run another candidate and may yet come out in support of Ford. Amazing how things have changed so dramatically from the imminent collapse of Rob Ford's office and the then apparently inevitable ostracizing of Ford, his brother and any of his inner group who remained.

Harper's photo-op with him this weekend made this pretty clear.

Ford is going to run on the campaign mantra "Promise Made. Promise Kept"...

You'd think that that would be the easiest platform to run against, but such is Ford Nation.

...while Olivia Chow's campaign is being built on "One Toronto", a strategy that will mostly ignore Ford (leaving the negative campaigning to external groups) and sell pride in Toronto as one city, together.

I've been saying for a long time that whoever runs against Ford should adopt this approach entirely. Don't dignify him and his...well, transgressions...with a moment of time. Every breath you waste on him will only galvanize his supporters. Just marginalize him by ignoring him completely.

I've also been saying (half-jokingly, but only half) that the campaign should do whatever it takes to get Kardinal to allow them to use this song:

[video=youtube;9W6Jl3beOlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6Jl3beOlY[/video]

It'll pitch Olivia's positive vision for the city offering a refuge from the tired scandal after scandal. Adam Vaughan and even Shelly Carroll have both given guarantees that they will not run for Mayor.

Hasn't Carroll said otherwise? Not that she'll run, per se, but that she hasn't said that she won't?

If he does have the right's support and campaign financing then I think he'll put up a good fight...

I'm pretty worried that the left will get a little lazy going into the campaign, underestimate the guy again, and assume that there's no way he can win again...and totally misjudge his base. Again.

Now to comment on the video, I'm very confident from what I've heard and from who I've heard it from that it is in several hands, some of which could become slippery. Will the video come out soon? It's anybody's guess. Will it come out eventually? Absolutely.

I'm losing more and more faith in this every day. And it terrifies me to think of what our fucking mayor did to bury it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back