917     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 735     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 618     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I am. Ford's bigotry only reinforces the mind of other bigots - the more dangerous kind who beat and kill people.

This is the kind of thing that could lead to someone getting killed.

Like...Rob Ford. Really: the way this is ramping up, he'd only be safe in the parade in this kind of vehicle

popemobile_spoof-1.jpg

And, esp. relative to the realm of style consciousness that is queerdom: Rob Ford's problem isn't bigotry, it's that he's got no style, no grace, no class in handling Pride at all, other than dodging the issue by opting for Muskoka in the name of "family tradition".

Lastman, at least, had campy style, and Diva Marilyn as reinforcement.

Heh. I just remembered something. Perhaps it is analogous to a certain extent, and may partially explain my stance a little bit.

I never bothered going to my own sister's wedding. Why? I was taking summer classes at the university at the time and I was broke, and didn't want to spend money to go halfway across the country for a few days at the expense of my studies just to attend some event in which I had no real personal vested interest. It was gonna be a group of people I basically didn't know (besides my immediate family) and I hated attending wedding parties anyway in general, so why bother spending more money to negative affect my education? So, I gave her a nice gift and carried on with my classes.

My sister never forgave for that. ;)

What you did was unforgivable and cold. I can only conclude that either you hated your sister or you're extremely selfish.

You insulted your sister and your family. Basically, you spat in their faces. My brother did this to a friend once. He decided not to attend the wedding after being invited, easily could have gone but sent a gift instead and he never heard from his friend again. You just don't do this to people you consider important in your life.

There are few occasions more important than weddings. The disrespect you showed towards your sister and family is incredible.

Last edited:
Rob Ford is under no obligation to attend the parade. He should want to attend the parade.
I think it's more the other way around -- he shouldn't necessarily want to attend, but as Mayor he should make an obligatory appearance at the parade, or if not the parade then at a Pride function or two.

Caribana is a completely different story. It's all about body contact. (grinding) I do have footage from the Caribana Parade, showing some quite impressive erections going on, while men are grinding up against sexy girls. Caribana is way more sexual than Pride ever was. Pride is more about theatricality and putting on a show. You will more likely see a dildo, than an actual erection. I personally have no issues with any of it. I enjoy the sexuality and flamboyance of both Pride and Caribana but let's face it, Caribana is the equivalent of a "Straight Pride Parade".

Only if you are black and Caribbean.

It's easy for Ford to use family obligations as an excuse, but in this case it doesn't wash. I think we all understand he can't be everywhere at all times, but this is a major festival in the city that's 10 days long. Regardless of his personal views, he should show his face at something.

Miller had a younger family yet managed to attend the major/important events in the city. If Ford's family obligations are so extensive he can't spare any time to go to one event in a 10 day festival, he shouldn't have ran for mayor.

Heh. I just remembered something. Perhaps it is analogous to a certain extent, and may partially explain my stance a little bit.

I never bothered going to my own sister's wedding. Why? I was taking summer classes at the university at the time and I was broke, and didn't want to spend money to go halfway across the country for a few days at the expense of my studies just to attend some event in which I had no real personal vested interest. It was gonna be a group of people I basically didn't know (besides my immediate family) and I hated attending wedding parties anyway in general, so why bother spending more money to negative affect my education? So, I gave her a nice gift and carried on with my classes.

My sister never forgave for that. ;)

I have a hard time understanding people who expect you to board a plane to attend their wedding, even if they are close family members. I would never make my parents fly all the way to Toronto when I see fit for any given reason.

We can celebrate in private next time life brings us closer together.

What you did was unforgivable and cold. I can only conclude that either you hated your sister or you're extremely selfish.

You insulted your sister and your family. Basically, you spat in their faces. My brother did this to a friend once. He decided not to attend the wedding after being invited, easily could have gone but sent a gift instead and he never heard from his friend again. You just don't do this to people you consider important in your life.

There are few occasions more important than weddings. The disrespect you showed towards your sister and family is incredible.
Heh. That's the most negative response I've ever heard about this, actually significantly worse than my sister's. It might be partially I was brought in a family where the belief was that education trumps all. My parents were perfectly understanding. My sister was less understanding but we still got along fine after. Maybe she cut me some slack because I completely broke at the time I dunno, but in any case your assessment of the situation isn't accurate.

I also didn't bother going to a wedding of a buddy's that was in Florida. We also still get along just fine.

Now let's extrapolate that response to this whole Pride-Ford fiasco. Many Pride supporters are adamant that Ford should go to Pride. They hate the guy, yet want him to go to their fete anyway, and are insulted when the guy they hate doesn't want to show up. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

As for "few occasions more important than weddings", well, that's your perspective. I am common law married, but won't bother with a formal wedding party, since I think it's an incredible waste of money. My favourite wedding celebration I've gone to so far was a potluck meal in a backyard, with about a dozen people there.

Even if I were to have a wedding, I'd only invite close family and friends and it'd be in our backyard, too. Perhaps we'd splurge and spend a few grand on catering and decorations, but not much more. Also, given what I said above, I wouldn't be at all insulted if out-of-towners didn't make it. It's just a party after all.

If I ran Pride, I would say all are welcome, and I'd extend an invitation to Mayor Ford just to be polite, but actually I'd be pleased if he didn't show up.

I have a hard time understanding people who expect you to board a plane to attend their wedding, even if they are close family members. I would never make my parents fly all the way to Toronto when I see fit for any given reason.

We can celebrate in private next time life brings us closer together.
Bingo.

Last edited:
From the Star http://www.thestar.com/news/pride/article/1014248--why-won-t-rob-ford-go-to-gay-events?bn=1

Kristyn Wong-Tam, Toronto’s only openly gay councillor, asked Ford to visit the gay village during a Feb. 9 meeting in his office, and has since repeatedly asked him to engage with the community.
I thought women homosexuals were called lesbians, while the term gay (as used above) was for male homosexuals. Is gay being used by both genders now? Of course having one's sexuality associated with a Greek island makes no sense, though neither does the term gay, meaning happy. What a wacky language we have.

From the Star http://www.thestar.com/news/pride/article/1014248--why-won-t-rob-ford-go-to-gay-events?bn=1

I thought women homosexuals were called lesbians, while the term gay (as used above) was for male homosexuals. Is gay being used by both genders now? Of course having one's sexuality associated with a Greek island makes no sense, though neither does the term gay, meaning happy. What a wacky language we have.

All lesbians trace their genetic lineage to the island of Lesbos.

Heh. That's the most negative response I've ever heard about this, actually significantly worse than my sister's. It might be partially I was brought in a family where the belief was that education trumps all. My parents were perfectly understanding. My sister was less understanding but we still got along fine after. Maybe she cut me some slack because I completely broke at the time I dunno, but in any case your assessment of the situation isn't accurate.

I also didn't bother going to a wedding of a buddy's that was in Florida. We also still get along just fine.

Now let's extrapolate that response to this whole Pride-Ford fiasco. Many Pride supporters are adamant that Ford should go to Pride. They hate the guy, yet want him to go to their fete anyway, and are insulted when the guy they hate doesn't want to show up. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

As for "few occasions more important than weddings", well, that's your perspective. I am common law married, but won't bother with a formal wedding party, since I think it's an incredible waste of money. My favourite wedding celebration I've gone to so far was a potluck meal in a backyard, with about a dozen people there.

Even if I were to have a wedding, I'd only invite close family and friends and it'd be in our backyard, too. Perhaps we'd splurge and spend a few grand on catering and decorations, but not much more. Also, given what I said above, I wouldn't be at all insulted if out-of-towners didn't make it. It's just a party after all.

If I ran Pride, I would say all are welcome, and I'd extend an invitation to Mayor Ford just to be polite, but actually I'd be pleased if he didn't show up.

Bingo.

You stated your sister never forgave you. So you know/knew it mattered to her.

So I don't think she ever really just got over it. You know what you did was wrong so fess up. Stop making excuses. Unless she dropped the invitation at the last moment, then you had time to make arrangements. You could have gone. You could have taken the bus. It's cheap.

Your entire post is very flippant and dismissive and what it really comes down to is that you just couldn't be bothered. So stop trying to pretend that being a student was a good reason for having not gone. Weddings are suppose to be once in a lifetime events. Sounds like she wanted you there and you gave her the silent "finger" by not showing up.

I suspect that deep down, your sister still hurts over what you did.

Last edited:
You stated your sister never forgave you. So you know/knew it mattered to her.

So I don't think she ever really just got over it. You know what you did was wrong so fess up. Stop making excuses. Unless she dropped the invitation at the last moment, then you had time to make arrangements. You could have gone. You could have taken the bus. It's cheap.

Your entire post is very flippant and dismissive and what it really comes down to is that you just couldn't be bothered. So stop trying to pretend that being a student was a good reason for having not gone. Weddings are suppose to be once in a lifetime events. Sounds like she wanted you there and you gave her the silent "finger" by not showing up.

I suspect that deep down, your sister still hurts over what you did.
Heh, this really pisses you off doesn't it? :D Does it piss you off as much as Ford not going to Pride?

It did really irritate my sister, but c'est la vie. Weddings are not a big deal for me, and she knows that. Yeah, I could have made arrangements, but quite frankly, as you and I have already pointed out, it just wasn't important for me as I value other things such as my education way, way more than somebody else's party.

Similarly, Pride supporters: Ford doesn't want to attend the party, so just deal with it. I don't understand why you want him there in the first place anyway. I personally support Pride Week, but I definitely do not support the whining about Ford not wanting to attend.

P.S. I'm shocked anyone would recommend taking the bus across long distances in Canada. It's a pretty big country. Taking the bus from western Canada to just Montreal would take 3-4 days.

There are plenty of Caribbean people who aren't black.
But can they dance? ;) j/k

Last edited:
Ignore the Parade. What do you think of Ford's not attending any event that relates to the LGBT community? Wouldn't it be nice for the mayor to publicly sign the proclamation?

You understand that if he refuses to do things as simple as that, that maybe it's fair to refer to the Mayor of Toronto as homophobic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back