2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 790     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, people dry humping each other in public isn't at the top of my list of things to get outraged by.

I'm also not really concerned about people automatically assuming gay people are oversexed perverts. The sort of people who use Pride to reinforce that stereotype are going to do it anyway -whether I show up in a burqa or a speedo.

I'm not so convinced that the road to tolerance and approval is paved by gays and lesbians striving to be just like straight people. There are certain net benefits to gay and lesbian culture that I don't think I'd want to give up just so my neighbors can think I'm just like them. 'Cause you know what? I'm not. And you also know what? As much as my straight neighbors might think they're *normal* they probably aren't either.

And maybe the parade has lost its *meaning* but then again so has Christmas and I still celebrate that.

Last edited:
Why should it be a celebration of sexuality? What is there to celebrate about sex? It's out in the open now, kids know everything about it and nearly everyone does it! It's human nature, nothing to be celebrated. Guys dry humping each other with boners on a float is just classless and does nothing to quell gay stereotypes. I'm gay and that makes me uncomfortable. Ford would probably keel over if he saw that (I'm sure most of you would celebrate that!)
It should be a celebration of sexuality because it's our sexuality that makes the community. Period. We have sex with those of the same sex. Some are very uncomfortable with that which is precisely why it is celebrated as normal, fun, sometimes cheeky and even sometimes even risque. Mardi Gras, Carnival and Caribanna also celebrate sexuality in their own way and often feature more nudity, but seem to take much less heat than some clothed-guys dry-humping or a small spattering of TNT participants that Pride takes heat for. The only thing you seem to be trying to quell is fun to be quite honest.

I dunno, people dry humping each other in public isn't at the top of my list of things to get outraged by.

I'm also not really concerned about people automatically assuming gay people are oversexed perverts. The sort of people who use Pride to reinforce that stereotype are going to do it anyway -whether I show up in a burqa or a speedo.

I'm not so convinced that the road to tolerance and approval is paved by gays and lesbians striving to be just like straight people. There are certain net benefits to gay and lesbian culture that I don't think I'd want to give up just so my neighbors can think I'm just like them. 'Cause you know what? I'm not. And you also know what? As much as my straight neighbors might think they're *normal* they probably aren't either.
I'm not sure what your point was. So you want an obnoxious Ford to March for you, cuz why?

And just what does "not behaving like straight people" mean anyway? It could be argued that the dry-humping speedo-wearing pride behaviour is pretty much analogous to a frat party.

Rob Ford is under no obligation to attend the parade. He should want to attend the parade. Especially now as GTA homophobes are taking his lack of attendance as support for their own anti-gay views.

No one's asking him to ride the float with the bears. Even just signing the damn proclamation and raising the flag would be enough. Anything to indicate to this huge part of Toronto that he actually, you know, values them and what they bring to the city.

Doug Ford is going to try to get back in time for the parade, and to drag Rob along if he can.

I don't think the parade is the big issue -- it's that he's also literally skipped every other LGBT event he was invited to. Combine that with his pretty terrible voting record on these issues, and he's lost a lot of credibility.

No lie: Rob Ford's mom just held a media scrum at an event this afternoon, defending her son against charges of homophobia.

I have yet to see erections in public, unless I'm at a strip club.. Then again...

Why should it be a celebration of sexuality? What is there to celebrate about sex? It's out in the open now, kids know everything about it and nearly everyone does it! It's human nature, nothing to be celebrated. Guys dry humping each other with boners on a float is just classless and does nothing to quell gay stereotypes. I'm gay and that makes me uncomfortable. Ford would probably keel over if he saw that (I'm sure most of you would celebrate that!)

I've been to Pride just about every year, for the last 20 years. (so I consider myself somewhat of an expert) I also have the parade video taped from much of those years. I have NEVER seen an erection at The Pride Parade. I have seen some limp dicks on old-timers but never guys grinding with erections. (and trust me, I look for it lol) I have hours and hours of parade footage and no erections or any kind of sexual activity, during the parade. Where do you see grinding? I see very little of that. The dancing is almost always with no body contact.

Caribana is a completely different story. It's all about body contact. (grinding) I do have footage from the Caribana Parade, showing some quite impressive erections going on, while men are grinding up against sexy girls. Caribana is way more sexual than Pride ever was. Pride is more about theatricality and putting on a show. You will more likely see a dildo, than an actual erection. I personally have no issues with any of it. I enjoy the sexuality and flamboyance of both Pride and Caribana but let's face it, Caribana is the equivalent of a "Straight Pride Parade".

Last edited:
Heh. I just remembered something. Perhaps it is analogous to a certain extent, and may partially explain my stance a little bit.

I never bothered going to my own sister's wedding. Why? I was taking summer classes at the university at the time and I was broke, and didn't want to spend money to go halfway across the country for a few days at the expense of my studies just to attend some event in which I had no real personal vested interest. It was gonna be a group of people I basically didn't know (besides my immediate family) and I hated attending wedding parties anyway in general, so why bother spending more money to negative affect my education? So, I gave her a nice gift and carried on with my classes.

My sister never forgave for that. ;)

That does explain a lot, actually.

The only way it could be more apt is if you had a history of undermining your sister's health and safety, and if the nice gift you gave her was a cookbook/housekeeping manual.

Would you ask your mother to explain to your sister and her friends for you that you're not really a misogynist while at the same time reasoning with your dad to cut her allowance because she only spends it on makeup and shoes and contraception and not necessities?

Pride is 10 days long. He's been invited to a variety of events and has declined all. He won't even walk the 50 steps from his office for the flag-raising ceremony when he'll clearly be in town.
If your sister was literally hanging out within easy walking distance of your current location, perhaps in the company of Leafs GM Brian Burke, would you opt not to see her?
Heh, so not quite analogous then. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back