517     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 624     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people have spoken 28-16 an overwhelming majority. It doesn't matter what council voted for 2 months ago because of Rob Ford's leadership they saw their error and did the right thing today and delivered subways to Scarborough just as promised.

I see what you're doing here. Trollers gonna troll, I suppose. I'm not taking the bait, and I hope no one else does, either.

I can't wait to see you rationalize the wasting of $85million of taxpayers' hard-earned money if the subway plan actually gets funding from the Federal Government and the LRT is actually cancelled.

Even if it doesn't, today's vote threatens to delay the decision into the fall and as Glenn Murray said, "“This fall, these projects will be at critical decision points that cannot be delayed and will have substantive cost implications… This region cannot afford any more delays to the construction of The Big Move projects caused by this debate." So in the grand scheme of things, it's also possible that "we" just voted for a more expensive LRT.

Last edited:
From The Toronto Star website, a letter to the editor:

That letter is a piece of garbage. Ever heard the term "leftard" or "libtard"? The left is hardly alone in questioning the intelligence and competence of the other side. And I'm not even sure what relevance your post has to the topic at hand. Rob Ford's pushing for the Scarborough subway is about as far from right-wing fiscal conservatism as you can get. Less transit for more money. As far as I could tell from the council meeting, the only true fiscal conservative that we seem to have is DMW. The questioning of Rob Ford's intellegence has nothing to do with what side of the political spectrum he agrees with, and everything to do with the constant stream of drivel and falsehoods that spew from his mouth every time it opens.

Queens Park introduced changes to the Condominium Act to have mandatory qualifications for condominium managers. See this link.

Now, why can't Queens Park introduce legislation that we must have mandatory qualifications for mayors? Isn't a city or town more important than a condo building? We can still have unqualified people as Councillor, after all Rob was okay as Councillor. That way, Councillors would still be able to go to night or summer school to pick up credits to become qualified to be mayor.

(Hee, hee! Rob going to school, and not as a coach.)

That's what the papers are reporting:

It's gonna cost $1.1 billion more, and half needs to come from the feds, so $0.55 billion. I'm sure it will end up costing more, but nonetheless, those are the numbers being thrown around.

P.S. Specifically for the SRT: No, I really don't see the point either, but hey. I would have preferred some of the other parts of the LRT system to be underground though.

You missed my point, all costs in the media are unconfirmed, and heresy. If it costs 2.9 billion, but that number has no backing.

I apologize for not being more verbose.

If this pans out and Toronto gets the extra funding from Ottawa and Queen's Park for a Scarborough subway, Rob Ford may unintentionally become the champion for transit funding in the GTHA. Think about that for a moment, if TO gets the money, you know damn well that Mississauga/Brampton, York, Durham... Hamilton will be demanding that the feds and the province pony up the money for their transit projects.

From The Toronto Star website, a letter to the editor:

One of the most common and valid critiques of the right in Canada and elsewhere is to note a particular susceptibility to self-superiority. It manifests as the unexamined conviction by the right-leaning that their views represent higher moral truths rather than simply their own subjective preferences.
Therefore to question their conclusions or to represent different values is seen not as a valid challenge to a particular perspective, but rather as a rejection of tradition and efficiency itself. The standard response from the right to a different point of view is to assume the person is either a union member, lazy or perhaps from Quebec.

etc...

Of course, there is the possibility that Canadians aren’t stupid at all. It could be that by and large they think the government is on the right track with this. But such intellectual generosity and objectivity is probably expecting too much from those who so shamelessly indulge in conflating their own personal values with “the value system Canadians once shared.â€
Harris Michael, Toronto

See how easy that was?

The point that I was trying to make is that if something is considered bigotry today, then I don't see why it wouldn't be considered bigotry yesterday as well. The only real difference between the situation years ago and today was that this particular prejudice was held by the majority. Am I missing something here? The people of the day may not have considered it bigotry considering people rarely consider their own views to be prejudiced... is that what you were getting at?
Yes, I get where your going. But then doesn't that mean that if something is considered bigotry tomorrow, does it mean it's bigotry today?

I'm sure one day the concept of banning certain adults from drinking at age 18 (which is quite legal in many places) will be considered ageist. What if society decides one day in the future that polygamy is okay. Does that mean that those that currently oppose it are bigots now? What if one day society decides eating animals are wrong. Does that make a Big Mac a Bigot Mac?

I don't have answers to these questions - I'm just throwing it out there.

I can't wait to see you rationalize the wasting of $85million of taxpayers' hard-earned money if the subway plan actually gets funding from the Federal Government and the LRT is actually cancelled.

Don't forget to add the $100+ million he wasted on his first day in office by cancelling Transit City.

By the end of his term, Ford may have wasted enough money to build one of his precious subways.

Are you trolling right now? You just reasserted what you said without providing evidence that "the people have spoken". Your reasoning is poor. Please justify what you said about "the people" speaking.

"The people have spoken!"

media_0b17adef52854fd0b079fa7ed740ebe2_t607.jpg

What you're saying is kind of like saying those who supported segregation in the 1930s weren't racist, just because it was a popular idea.

Just like with racism, discrimination based on sex orientation makes you homophobic. Period.

There are a lot of people who may or may not be discriminatory but have socially ingrained views which are.

Do you really think that well over half the Canadian population just ten or twenty years ago was comprised of bigots who hated gay people?

Yes, I get where your going. But then doesn't that mean that if something is considered bigotry tomorrow, does it mean it's bigotry today?

I'm sure one day the concept of banning certain adults from drinking at age 18 (which is quite legal in many places) will be considered ageist. What if society decides one day in the future that polygamy is okay. Does that mean that those that currently oppose it are bigots now? What if one day society decides eating animals are wrong. Does that make a Big Mac a Bigot Mac?

I don't have answers to these questions - I'm just throwing it out there.

That's the thing: its really easy to look back into the past and point out bigotry then it is to highlight it in our current society.

Look, I'm not that old. Gay marriage to me is a no-brainer. But it just strikes me as self-congratulatory to chastise people who grew up in other generations as being bigoted. There are probably a whole plethora of institutionalized beliefs and values we hold now that will be considered bigoted twenty years down the line. Its really easy to see in retrospect, but not when its part of the culture and society you're raised in.

Do you really think that well over half the Canadian population just ten or twenty years ago was comprised of bigots who hated gay people?

You are making quite a career out of being an apologetic for pretty much....anything distasteful.

Oh, and I wouldn't go so far as saying the Council vote handed Ford the next election--an election which is still a year and a third off; the Scarborough subway will be a stale-ish issue by then, and you can be sure it'll be in some way or another compromised through further Ford bungling.

I mean, opponents are saying "woe is us"; yet, face it--as some have offered, the niceties of transit planning and "types" of transit are, really, lost on a lot of the voting public. Especially when it involved newfanged terms like "LRT" as opposed to good, old-fashioned "subway" or "streetcar" or "bus". There are definite ways to defeat Ford; transit pedantry isn't among them.

And of course, even through the final vote and however they voted, don't think Council isn't "aware" of the appalling Ford vs Matlow exchange. Even when voting "for" a Ford cause, they're voting "around" him.

And w/all the colliding, mutually contradicting votes, it's probably a safe bet that nothing/ll be done by the next election. Really: the only way Ford can win is by sweeping Council w/his own slate--or, perhaps, by adjusting electoral procedure so that he, himself, can run as a write-in Councillor in several wards at once even while running for Mayor. And you can be sure there's an awful lot of Ford Nationeers who'd gladly vote for Ford on *two* ballots at once--so who knows, we'd wind up w/a halved council simply because Ford himself represents half of council!...

That's the thing: its really easy to look back into the past and point out bigotry then it is to highlight it in our current society.

Nah.....I think it's just as easy to do both.

And racism and homophobia was considered wrong 20 years ago. But this is 2013, and Ford is guilty of both. But those are merely small facets of what makes up the monumentally flawed character of one Rob Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back