421     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conditional on Mihevc's motion that the feds provide 50 percent of funding and tax increase not limited to robbie's 0.25 percent hike. The money needs to be dedicated before September 30th.

Last edited:
Conditional on Mihevc's motion that the feds provide 50 percent of funding and tax increase not limited to robbie's 0.25 percent hike.

Funny that people are saying the Ford has won... they have to get $550m from the Federal Gov't by Sept 30. That doesn't happen, it's back to the LRT. How is this a win? It's a step on the route, but we aren't there yet.

I'm glad his motion to seek out different revenue tools failed. As if that hasn't already been explored, studied and proposed! And rejected by Council! Not that that really matters. What really pisses me off is City Council itself, though. In no uncertain terms they voted against raising property taxes to pay for transit two months ago. Now all of a sudden they're willing to raise property taxes by 2.4% to pay for a 3-stop extension to the bloor/danforth line. What the fuck? Why isn't this kind of urgency and consideration being given to The Relief Line? Isn't it a bit more urgent? Doesn't it need a funding plan immediately so that it can move ahead, full steam?

I think John Lorinc has, once again, hit the nail on the proverbial head.

John Lorinc said:
Consequently, it will be extremely revealing to see how many of these councillors — many of them politicians who’ve fought hard for new transit funding from the other orders — reverse their earlier votes tomorrow and support a property tax hike to help fund the $1 billion subway-ification of the Scarborough RT.

Let me pause here to offer a few thoughts about what principled governance looks like: It involves careful and deliberate consideration of issues prior to decision-making, followed by consistency in the implementation of the resulting policies. Certainly, abrupt voting reversals smack of expediency and a lack of close consideration, traits which are the very antithesis of responsible governance.

Funny that people are saying the Ford has won... they have to get $550m from the Federal Gov't by Sept 30.
That seems a huge hurdle to me, as I can't imagine that throwing an unbudgetted half-billion wad of cash at Toronto will make Harper's western base happy. I don't know how much Harper wants to court Scarborough or keep on Ford's good side.

If the Feds don't cough up, then we'll have wasted yet another two-and-half months, and Ford will look like an idiot.

Well, if this dies because of the funding issue, at least he won't be able to blame the lefties... unless he starts tossing "left of Stalin" comments at Harper.

Funny that people are saying the Ford has won... they have to get $550m from the Federal Gov't by Sept 30. That doesn't happen, it's back to the LRT. How is this a win? It's a step on the route, but we aren't there yet.

$550 Million? How are you getting this figure? Total costs are far from set. I have read upwards of ~4 Billon for the project, all in, so you would be looking at ~1 billion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back