News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 522     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Roads: Roundabouts

I think a good place for a roundabout would be at Bancroft & Ivandale/Donway.

They were paving all the roads today for the Mississauga Roundabout so striping could be done by the weekend.

With rain forecast on Monday, not much work is going to get done for 1:00 pm so the Roundabout can open at 2:00 pm. Ribbon cutting may take place.

The section of Sq One Dr on the Sheridan land will have to be close daily so rest of the concrete work can be finish off next week. Hard to say how much concrete still has to be pour for the main entrance, but will not be done by Monday.

The concrete circle for the Roundabout is a few inches above the final pavement.
6057791874_259cd5d852_b.jpg

6057239425_6ee4f263b9_b.jpg

6057784528_e8b96cd978_b.jpg

6057260449_178a358d01_b.jpg

6057258079_71e10766b9_b.jpg

6057260003_15ee38348b_b.jpg

I'm waiting for the 3x life-size statue of Hazel to be erected in the middle of the roundabout.

There's one on Gary in Weston that has to be the stupidest implementation of a roundabout I've ever seen. It's so small that there's really no concept of 'traffic in the circle', so there's still stopsigns at all 4 entering roads. So basically the circle is just a median in the middle of the intersection.

Streetview

There's one on Gary in Weston that has to be the stupidest implementation of a roundabout I've ever seen. It's so small that there's really no concept of 'traffic in the circle', so there's still stopsigns at all 4 entering roads. So basically the circle is just a median in the middle of the intersection.

Streetview

I love how even the roundabout has been tagged with utility markings. I guess it's gonna be torn up and patched soon.

Streetview

There are a few of these around, I can think of two on Broadway between Mount Pleasant and Bayview. 4 way stop signs at all of them. Less of a traffic circle, more of an awkward left around a tree.

Even Columbus Circle has lights at the entry points, so stop signs are not that surprising in some places.

As for statues and such - I was thinking that if DoY does eventually feature several roundabouts in sequence - and more or less equally spaced - that some sort of illuminated art feature would be a nice touch. Even something simple like a 50' tall, internally illuminated pole would be cool - like those accents at Yorkdale or the color changing ones at LAX.

5529360586_40ac55b255_z.jpg

lax-pylons-lights.jpg

Aug 20
Crews will be working on Sunday to get the Roundabout and Sq One Dr extension ready for Monday opening. At this time, there is no ribbon cutting to take place unless the Mayor decides to at the last moment.

The fire department was putting up a stink on this Roundabout which is funny considering they were part of the design team using a mockup model of the aerially truck, which is the largest pieces they have. They did a test run today of both types of trucks using rookie driver. The drivers had not problems either a slow speed or high speed.

The stripping was to be finish today.

Groves were being cut into the concrete road for the extension.

Most of the concrete for the sidewalk for the extension is pour.

More concrete has been pour for the Sheridan main entrance, but with no one working this weekend on it, will have an impact on traffic after Monday to get it finish.

Most of the sod is down and will be finished on Sunday.

There is 30 shots up on the site at this time and these are a few of them.
6063004153_4c245a1845_b.jpg

6063001535_a5e1a1847e_b.jpg

6063543738_bbf760983a_b.jpg

6063545964_d7a29bfc46_b.jpg

6063537734_10183d870e_b.jpg

6062991905_f16f90ce11_b.jpg

6062999673_1e24a25d97_b.jpg

6062989729_65e6323386_b.jpg

Mississauga Partly Open New Round About

At 2:02 pm, on August 22, 2011, the first car to use the Duke Of York Blvd Roundabout enter it.

The Sq One Dr extension will not open today as expected due to too much concrete still has to be pour for the sidewalks. It will open later this week.

City staff on hand to watch this opening as well a police officer to make sure rules of the road were follow. The officer had to stop a number of cars to explain the rules.

The opening went a lot smoother than expected, but an number of things did take place as expected.

GO Transit Staff had some issues with this Roundabout, but were safety issues related to the new Sheridan College. You better use those crosswalks, otherwise you will be ticket as Peel police will be out there enforcing the rules come September.

The yield signs for the crosswalks are too small. There needs to be more road markings as well a larger sign on Sq One property saying the left hand lane is for through or southbound turn only. A number of cars did the illegal lane change by turning right from that left lane and nearly hit another vehicle doing so. They were stop by the police. This is an accident waiting location as it stands.

Some drivers had no problem using this roundabout to the point they did not slow down. A fair number of vehicles including Mississauga Transit buses came to a full stop before doing the turn.

A northbound MT Artic bus on Route 26E #88X was the first bus to used it and on the video that fail to turn out for some reason.

There is to be a statute of a scholar in the centre of the Roundabout. Hum!!! A statute of Hazel dress up as a scholar.

Below are a few of the photos, but a number of videos.
6070859476_9fc2c59814_b.jpg

6070867380_a58f476094_b.jpg

First Car enter Roundabout
6070883920_174d956214_b.jpg

6070360447_8a9dd1a699_b.jpg

6070899408_faa15049ef_b.jpg

A view before the opening video
[video=youtube;d5uFeHcDuVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5uFeHcDuVY[/video]

[video=youtube;va4lPmUfzs4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va4lPmUfzs4[/video]

[video=youtube;a9UpxRf9OAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UpxRf9OAk[/video]

Looking sharp. I hope people use this roundabout correctly. There are a few by my house that drivers never obey. When trying to make a left turn, they immediately turn left, going clockwise in the roundabout. Then they're surprised that somebody who's using it correctly comes from the other direction and just about crashes head on.

Haha, us North Americans and roundabouts.. Such simple things too. Even the pamphlet that they had to mail to everyone in Mississauga (LOL) had errors in it, such as how to correctly signal.

Haha, us North Americans and roundabouts.. Such simple things too. Even the pamphlet that they had to mail to everyone in Mississauga (LOL) had errors in it, such as how to correctly signal.
This pamphlet?

No errors are jumping out at me - can you highlight them? Though it does fail to mention signalling at all when you approach a roundabout ... but I don't see an error on signalling.

Back