News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I guess everything is about money, but could it be that in the past grass cutting was relatively easy (maybe even get some hay out of it) and now the safety requirements and blocker truck rules just make it so expensive that is not even close to practical to have the grass cut on a freeway.

Safety requirements are overblown these days, and the appearance of the public realm suffers because of it. Not only with grass cutting but with the excess number of unsightly roadsigns you never saw previously.

Last edited:
I always liked the way MTO has the 404 median north of the 407. I believe its grass, but its 5-6ft tall so it doesn't really look like a lawn someone has forgotten to mow.
I agree that the 404 median looks good. It doesn't look overgrown to me, it just looks natural. I don't think the lack of mown grass on highways is only because of money, it's partly because it's better to leave it in a natural state from and environmental and storm water management perspective. People replace grass with natural vegetation on their front lawns for the same reason, and the trend has found its way to urban planting beds and big box landscaping.

I guess everything is about money, but could it be that in the past grass cutting was relatively easy (maybe even get some hay out of it) and now the safety requirements and blocker truck rules just make it so expensive that is not even close to practical to have the grass cut on a freeway.
I wouldn't be surprisd if that's a factor too.

I'd think the real answer though is to select a better seed mix. Lawn grass probably isn't the best choice if it's not going to be cut.

I agree that the 404 median looks good. It doesn't look overgrown to me, it just looks natural. I don't think the lack of mown grass on highways is only because of money, it's partly because it's better to leave it in a natural state from and environmental and storm water management perspective. People replace grass with natural vegetation on their front lawns for the same reason, and the trend has found its way to urban planting beds and big box landscaping.

The natural look doesn't look right in urban areas along roads, and most ppl I talk to agree with me. As for it being "better for the environment", I remember a creek in Rexdale in the 1980s that was very healthy and full of fish, despite there being no visible stormwater facilities upstream. I hate the "junglification" trend in suburban areas in the name of environmentalism--a trend endorsed and lobbied for, ironically enough, by urbanists.

The natural look doesn't look right in urban areas along roads, and most ppl I talk to agree with me. As for it being "better for the environment", I remember a creek in Rexdale in the 1980s that was very healthy and full of fish, despite there being no visible stormwater facilities upstream. I hate the "junglification" trend in suburban areas in the name of environmentalism--a trend endorsed and lobbied for, ironically enough, by urbanists.
There's nothing ironic about it. Obviously traditional gardens have heir place, but natural, native vegetation can look great in an urban context. It does have environmental benefits along waterways, especially for water quality, erosion, and flooding.

On highways I just don't see the point of mowing lawns. In parks where people actually use the grass sure, but on highway medians it doesn't make any sense.

Not sure exactly where to put this, but since it's about a highway discussed here before:

Hamilton Spectator
Tories would put the brakes on Hamilton’s LRT plans

ByKevin Werner

Tim Hudak says a Progressive Conservative government would scrap a light rail transit plan for Hamilton and build a highway instead.

Under a Progressive Conservative government, Hamilton's light-rail transit system would be scrapped and instead the Tories would build the mid-peninsula highway from Fort Erie to at least Hwy. 6, said Hudak.

Later Hudak says this:

"You need to invest in your highways," added Hudak. "You can't get steel or auto parts on a bus of GO Train. If you want the LRT to spend a lot of money and tear up a lot of streets in Hamilton, you have two choices: the Liberals and NDP, (or the Tories)."

He wants to repeal the places to grow and greenbelt acts, build suburban highways, widen the DVP, and build nothing but car no touchy subways. You want traffic gridlock and idiotic unsustainable planning? vote for Tim Hudak!

This clown in stuck in the stone ages. What a turd. You sure ain't getting my vote.

First it was Subway vs LRT, now we have:

LRT vs highway
Go train vs highway
Go bus vs highway

Where do they find these politicians from?

I hope Hudak doesn't start advocating ripping up my street, just because trucks can't use it to move freight to the US border.

Any word on new contracts for the hwy 400 extension north of Nobel? or South of the French river? The last two contracts were issued almost 2 years ago.

Back