News   Apr 16, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 698     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 480     3 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Those arrows are right where the lanes are forking. People need to prepare in advance and move to the correct lane at least 1 km before the road forks.
I get what you are saying but I have encountered (I can't recall where - likely not this location) where the advance sign says, for example, two right lanes exit, so I position in Lane 2 - then another lane is added so now I'm in Lane 3 and have to move over. Sure we have to constantly monitor, but in heavy traffic, later moves can be difficult.

Not sure which picture you are referring to, but this is the sign that comes after the diagrammatic sign:
https://goo.gl/maps/FW8yVZ7nY2HoQmvx5

Then this one at the actual split:
https://goo.gl/maps/nxztgS137xeMHyBdA

The BC example serves the same role as our regular exit sign, albeit with more lanes information.
At many places, the first sign is not there. I don't remember any example though. Although, I don't like the concept of treating collector lanes as highway exit. You are not exiting the highway. This sign doesn't need the word exit written there.

It signs like this (https://goo.gl/maps/hHomtfw7P5C1RijU9) that are terrible. This is on 400 South approaching 401.

It should say under East (Scarborough / Kingston) and under West (Mississauga / London).
Or even add some highway numbers beyond. 427 and DVP perhaps for those driving in from the north.

Here's a good example from Montreal of what it could say.
1653062927612.png

Ahhh, it made me think of a National Park at first, but that didn't quite make sense either.

Having said that, the yellow to denote a municipal freeway could make sense. Those at the scale of the Gardiner, Lincoln Alexander, DVP, etc.

Or even add some highway numbers beyond. 427 and DVP perhaps for those driving in from the north.

Here's a good example from Montreal of what it could say.
1653062927612.png
There's a good reason why those highways appear on those signs- because that's literally the only thing they serve west of Montreal. Nothing significant on either 20 or 40 until the 401/417. The reason 20 is on that sign is because that short section of the 30 is essentially just a giant off ramp to switch between the parallel highways. For connecting highways like that, we already have the 407 VIA 4xx signs in Ontario as seen on the 412/418. Now, the VIA would not make sense on the 401, because that would imply that it is just connecting the two routes and the sole purpose of the highway is to get to it. Maybe something like the "to xx" sign would work. Personally I think the "Downtown Toronto via 427" signs on the 401 serve that purpose.

Last edited:
There's a good reason why those highways appear on those signs- because that's literally the only thing they serve west of Montreal. Nothing significant on either 20 or 40 until the 401/417.
I bet the majority of those on 400 heading west also only go a short distance - to 409 or 427. An airport symbol would help too.

Also heading the junction to the west is the 30 ... which one could take all the way to Sorel (unlikely) or to other south-shore destinations (quite likely for those that live near the 40 in Vaudreuil - or even at the very west of the island; heading down Decarie or the 13 and 20 to the Champlain Bridge is often too busy.

Bottom line, is that I agree that the signage to 400/401 is insufficient.

There's other gems around here; most people wanting to get downtown, surely go to the middle, when they should go to the right - which leads to both the QEW East AND West.

1653364339276.png

I bet the majority of those on 400 heading west also only go a short distance - to 409 or 427. An airport symbol would help too.

Also heading the junction to the west is the 30 ... which one could take all the way to Sorel (unlikely) or to other south-shore destinations (quite likely for those that live near the 40 in Vaudreuil - or even at the very west of the island; heading down Decarie or the 13 and 20 to the Champlain Bridge is often too busy.

There's other gems around here; most people wanting to get downtown, surely go to the middle, when they should go to the right - which leads to both the QEW East AND West.

View attachment 402161
except it doesn't as there isn't a direct connection from the 403 sb to QEW eb. So that signage is accurate.

except it doesn't as there isn't a direct connection from the 403 sb to QEW eb. So that signage is accurate.
Ah that's true - I just use Ford Drive without thinking about it. (when the heck are they going to build that - they've been talking about it for decades)

It's still very confusing - where's the east sign for the 403?

View attachment 402161
Technically they shouldn't even use cardinal directions for QEW at this junction.

Technically they shouldn't even use cardinal directions for QEW at this junction.
There's a reason most media traffic reports use phrases like 'Toronto bound' for the QEW, particularly south of Hamilton.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure how useful posting cardinal directions is anymore. For some people, it never was.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure how useful posting cardinal directions is anymore. For some people, it never was.
The QEW is really the only 400 series that doesn't predominantly travel in one cardinal direction (Edit: there's the 115 on a diagonal but it still travels in one straight line). If the 413 is built, it will be interesting to see which direction it is signed. Maybe it will be done like Calgary's 201, where each section has its own directions. Or possibly it will be signed as 400 VIA 413 and 401 VIA 413, with no cardinal directions. My guess is the control cities (based on what the 407E's are) would probably be Barrie (although that would be far off) and Mississauga/Brampton? After all Peterborough is signed on the 412N, and Toronto on 407E.
The Bradford Bypass would almost definitely be signed one way as Barrie and the other way as Toronto/Newmarket.

Last edited:

Back