News   Apr 18, 2024
 598     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I took a look at that earlier and meant to post about it here.

It's mostly minor revisions, though the most notable are:

1. Both the 400 & 404 interchanges are proposed to be modified to 4 way full flyover interchanges, like on the 407 extension, replacing the 2002 plan for a mix of flyovers and loop ramps. I fully expected this change as the 2002 plan allocated the highest volume ramps from SB 404 to SB 400, but with the 404 extension being DOA now, I expect the higher volumes will actually be NB 404 to NB 400.
2. The bridge over the east branch of the Holland River is proposed to be moved south to reduce the impact on the river.

Got a Notice of Public Information Centre in the mail today for the 400-404 Link project. The notice says the MTO and AECOM "will review and assess environmental commitments made during the previous 2002 approved Route Planning EA Study, as well as assess any new impacts and prescribe new mitigation measures to be carried forward for the subsequent Detail Design phase for the Bradford Bypass." The notice also provides a link to the consultation page... I know what I'm doing today.
The PIC website looks great.

Made my comments -

Noting the nearly 20 year timeframe since the EA, disgraceful that no alternative routes north or south are being considered. Times change - anyone with Google Earth historical views of the area can see that...

Specific comments -
  • Move the road slightly further north from the residential area by County Road 4/Yonge St, to allow for more space for mitigation landscaping/noise walls to reduce road noise/air pollution/light spill to the residential area (neither residential development was present when the 2002 EA was published)
  • Welcoming the move of the bridge route south - albeit with queries regarding light spill/noise walls, and mitigation to impacts in the Holland River habitats
  • Mitigating the loss of woodland around Holland River crossing - purchase additional agricultural land for woodland planting either adjacent to highway or further north/south
  • Noting the reduction in land take/woodland loss if the Bathurst intersection is removed - when the County Rd 4/Yonge intersection will clearly be the key junction to serve Bradford, is the intersection required?
  • Queries about general improvements to the local road network - slowing local traffic, roundabouts, improved pedestrian crossings, road safety audits etc. If “through traffic” is being removed by this bypass, improve the roads that will remain.
  • Requesting more information on environmental mitigation (landscaping, mitigation planting, wildlife crossings etc) and residential mitigation (noise walls, landscaping buffers etc)

Anyone with Google Earth historical views of the area can see that...
Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 18.00.18.png
Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 18.00.45.png

Not exactly the same scale, but you can see my point! 2004 versus 2018, with a rough line of the highway.

Move the road slightly further north from the residential area by County Road 4/Yonge St, to allow for more space for mitigation landscaping/noise walls to reduce road noise/air pollution/light spill to the residential area (neither residential development was present when the 2002 EA was published)

The highway will likely be bermed or landscaped anyway. Not a big deal.

Another report on the 427 debacle, this time from CBC:

Here we seem to get to the meat of the issue:

1619699804952.png

I don't know that I've read an MTO P3 contract in detail to see what's in the standard language..........

But the 2% crossfall is a pretty standard design.

There are no drains in the middle lane of a 400-series highway.

The water needs to go off to the sides (or one side) and to do that you need a certain gradient.

^ That sounds like an expensive fix?

If it's only off by bit (half a degree or less) they can fix it by stripping the asphalt and relaying with varying thickness (~7cm thicker in the middle; I presume the crossfall is too shallow).

The legal argument is far more interesting. The Province says the requirement was in the contract and the consortium says it wasn't; that seems like it should be an extremely short court trials. Either the province can point out the clause (in the contract, referenced material like building code, or it can't).

Last edited:
Another report on the 427 debacle, this time from CBC:

Here we seem to get to the meat of the issue:

View attachment 315912

I don't know that I've read an MTO P3 contract in detail to see what's in the standard language..........

But the 2% crossfall is a pretty standard design.

There are no drains in the middle lane of a 400-series highway.

The water needs to go off to the sides (or one side) and to do that you need a certain gradient.
I didn't even know that there was a debacle going on here. Hopefully this is quickly resolved

"We hope LINK427 will take advantage of the decreased traffic volumes to complete this repair."

They clearly haven't seen the temporary Highway 7 forced off ramp...

Back