News   May 03, 2024
 941     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 571     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 278     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

.. the new highway project site on the gov website states the highway 93 bridge over 400A is slated for rehab .. so seems the province still uses the designation.

.. the new highway project site on the gov website states the highway 93 bridge over 400A is slated for rehab .. so seems the province still uses the designation.
Huh? That's really strange. I guess internally they never bothered to update the designation.

Huh? That's really strange. I guess internally they never bothered to update the designation.
It seems like the roadway at interchanges on many former highways still remains under MTO. Highway 11 at Yonge and 48 at Markham Rd are listed.

Why is that the province seems to do a much better job maintaining its highways than Toronto with its arterials? Is it just because Toronto cheaps out?

Why is that the province seems to do a much better job maintaining its highways than Toronto with its arterials? Is it just because Toronto cheaps out?

That's because Ontario is responsible for less kilometres of highway today than before 1997. Ontario transferred downloaded 3,210 km of highways to local authorities. See link for the list. Within Toronto, that includes the QEW, 2, 2A, 5, 11, 11A, 27, 48, and 50.

That's because Ontario is responsible for less kilometres of highway today than before 1997. Ontario transferred downloaded 3,210 km of highways to local authorities. See link for the list. Within Toronto, that includes the QEW, 2, 2A, 5, 11, 11A, 27, 48, and 50.
I am guessing that Toronto was happy for every single one of those - expect for the 6km of QEW (427 to Humber).

Logically, all those downloads (in Toronto) made sense. For the Gardiner - it was either download the 6km portion, or upload the entire thing (plus the DVP).

I hear you, but that doesn't answer my question...

Money. The province increased more than 10 times doubled the funding for highway maintenance from 2008 to 2018. Even things that didn't need work go worked on because the money was there.

Edit: Oops - gross typo (my mind was elsewhere).

Last edited:
I am guessing that Toronto was happy for every single one of those - expect for the 6km of QEW (427 to Humber).

Logically, all those downloads (in Toronto) made sense. For the Gardiner - it was either download the 6km portion, or upload the entire thing (plus the DVP).
Logically the latter makes sense.

All the other provincial highways in Toronto were already under local control anyway and would have been considered "connecting links". Downloading officially likely did make sense as it removed any formal control from MTO, which is an issue in other municipalities today who struggle to get MTO approval for modifications they want to make on roads that are technically theirs to maintain.

Logically the latter makes sense.

All the other provincial highways in Toronto were already under local control anyway and would have been considered "connecting links". Downloading officially likely did make sense as it removed any formal control from MTO, which is an issue in other municipalities today who struggle to get MTO approval for modifications they want to make on roads that are technically theirs to maintain.
Yes, and in fact, at the time of download, Highway 11A was a connecting link in its entirety. The whole route was a CL.

I know I've mentioned this before but how about tunneling the 409 under Pearson and connecting with Eastgate Parkway in Mississauga. Eastgate Parkway would be upgraded to full 400 series standards and then entire length 403+409 can be signed as either 403 or 409, and the small section of 403 south of 401 resigned as 410.
Good idea. But how would it be drawn?

I feel like the 401 between 427 and 404 is like a whole different type of highway. This could easily been taken as the corridor with the highest density on the 401. There’s always traffic no matter the time of day (except night usually ofc lol)

I feel like the 401 between 427 and 404 is like a whole different type of highway. This could easily been taken as the corridor with the highest density on the 401. There’s always traffic no matter the time of day (except night usually ofc lol)

iirc the highest volume is at the 400 (400,000+ AADT), while the rest is around 330,000 AADT

The busiest part of the 401 specifically is between the 400 and 409, even though the widest part is from the 403/410 to 427.
That’s honestly a weird fact. I would consider the core 401 to be 409 to 404 but I guess there’s the 400, Allen rd, and a whole bunch of exits in between that relief the traffic. Consideeing the widest part like you said is just west of it, there’s also the insane bottleneck between the 427 and 409 that comes in between as well, generating a parking lot at all times of the day. I guess some 401 drivers use the 409-427-401 combo regardless so maybe thats why its not as busy as we might think either.

Back