News   Apr 19, 2024
 40     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Important to note that the South-Western Ontario transportation plan released this week signaled continued support for the Morriston Bypass, which I believe is the first time the PCs have publicly supported the project since forming government. It's already quite behind schedule from when it was initially announced.. I hope we start to hear more about it soon.

Important to note that the South-Western Ontario transportation plan released this week signaled continued support for the Morriston Bypass, which I believe is the first time the PCs have publicly supported the project since forming government. It's already quite behind schedule from when it was initially announced.. I hope we start to hear more about it soon.

Any map available?

Anyone know where one can find info on the planned construction/expansion of Hwy 401 through Durham? From what I've heard they will be upgrading the portions that are 2 lanes to 3 lanes in each direction and rehabbing the bridges in the area.

I've done a few google searches but have come up with a little less than nothing.

Anyone know where one can find info on the planned construction/expansion of Hwy 401 through Durham? From what I've heard they will be upgrading the portions that are 2 lanes to 3 lanes in each direction and rehabbing the bridges in the area.

I've done a few google searches but have come up with a little less than nothing.
The 401 is already 3 lanes each way all through Durham.

The Brock Street interchange in Whitby is already under construction, they are adding an auxiliary lane from the 412 to the Brock Street off ramp, but there isn't any actual widening work involved.

I believe they are about to start on the Simcoe Rd interchange in Oshawa as well with some fairly significant interchange re-alignments and bridge replacements, but again, no actual widening. Just preparing for an eventual widening.

Any map available?
It includes a bypass around Morriston, a replacement of the Hanlon Parkway/401 interchange with full flyover ramps, and a new interchange along the parkway to eliminate the traffic lights south of Guelph.

map2016-sm.jpg

The 401 is already 3 lanes each way all through Durham.

The Brock Street interchange in Whitby is already under construction, they are adding an auxiliary lane from the 412 to the Brock Street off ramp, but there isn't any actual widening work involved.

I believe they are about to start on the Simcoe Rd interchange in Oshawa as well with some fairly significant interchange re-alignments and bridge replacements, but again, no actual widening. Just preparing for an eventual widening.

Any info on changes to the Stevenson and Ritson interchanges

Any info on changes to the Stevenson and Ritson interchanges
Stevenson was rebuilt a decade ago and is already "up to code" so to speak so no major changes beyond whats required down the road when the mainline is widened.

Ritson is largely getting closed as a part of the Simcoe Rd work.

This PDF has the alignment of all the new interchanges and eventual widening. My understanding is that Simcoe Street is getting converted to a full access, while Ritsons will get converted to an eastbound access.

Here's a recent story about the bridge work in Oshawa if that helps?

Regarding the 412, they really need a 4th Aux lane eastbound between Salem Rd and 412. That's quite the bottleneck.

It includes a bypass around Morriston, a replacement of the Hanlon Parkway/401 interchange with full flyover ramps, and a new interchange along the parkway to eliminate the traffic lights south of Guelph.

View attachment 229787
I was a bit upset with this proposal. If we view highway 6 as a freeway (which it technically is in this vicinity, and practically is over it's route to Hamilton due to traffic volumes), there are freeway to freeway ramps missing. NorthBound to EastBound should have been added, and could have quite easily, but now they have to exit onto the connector road and then do a 270 degree turn through the round about and then another 90 degree turn to get onto 401. There is no WB to SB ramp, which I admit would have been harder to add.
I think the EA caved too much in favour of the residents of Morisston, who were benefiting from the project greatly already.

I was a bit upset with this proposal. If we view highway 6 as a freeway (which it technically is in this vicinity, and practically is over it's route to Hamilton due to traffic volumes), there are freeway to freeway ramps missing. NorthBound to EastBound should have been added, and could have quite easily, but now they have to exit onto the connector road and then do a 270 degree turn through the round about and then another 90 degree turn to get onto 401. There is no WB to SB ramp, which I admit would have been harder to add.
I think the EA caved too much in favour of the residents of Morisston, who were benefiting from the project greatly already.
A freeway is a controlled-access highway, so no. Highway 6 between the 401 and Highway 5 is not at all a freeway. It should be though because of the volumes you mentioned. The lack of a freeway along Highway 6 from Guelph to Hamilton is, I believe, a big reason why we still don't have Aberfoyle-Aldershot, or UW-McMaster GO buses yet.

Meh, I can't see the volumes for that being very high. Maybe protect for it in the future, it's not needed right now. The way it's proposed right now is still a fairly issue free connection, even though it's not technically a freeway connection.

A freeway is a controlled-access highway, so no. Highway 6 between the 401 and Highway 5 is not at all a freeway. It should be though because of the volumes you mentioned. The lack of a freeway along Highway 6 from Guelph to Hamilton is, I believe, a big reason why we still don't have Aberfoyle-Aldershot, or UW-McMaster GO buses yet.
When I said Vicinity, I meant within 1 or 2 km of 401.

Here's a recent story about the bridge work in Oshawa if that helps?

Regarding the 412, they really need a 4th Aux lane eastbound between Salem Rd and 412. That's quite the bottleneck.

I think those two would be the last 30s era bridges in the Durham Region. Henry St is already done and Brock should be done too (don't know the status of the project yet).

I think those two would be the last 30s era bridges in the Durham Region. Henry St is already done and Brock should be done too (don't know the status of the project yet).
Brock is gone. Yup, it’s removing the last of the 1930’s bridges.. they have had a good long run.

Back