News   Apr 19, 2024
 151     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 558     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Suburb to suburb commuter rail may have a future. Though the CP Mainline in the east is far from my 1st choice as to where that might go.

There would be difficulties; but for instance, using the York Sub (CN Mainline) to create a rail link that goes DT Pickering to DT Markham, to Line 1 in the east, to Line 1 in the west, then following on to serve Brampton or even Oakville as the S/W terminus but I think it might be worth the challenge.

The challenge in the east being the tighter pockets on the York and Halston Subs where expansion is unlikely (through parts of Rouge Park, for instance).
The 407 ROW might be a real possibility though.

Frankly, I doubt the point-to-point traffic yet merits that kind of investment, but it is something that I think should be future proofed into design .

Likewise, the 401 corridor has real potential linking DT Pickering to STC, to NYCC, crossing Line 1 twice, then meeting the Airport. Good origin-destination pairings there with multiple employment centres.

The challenge would be coming up with a good design, that didn't break the bank in terms of interchange redesign/bridge replacement; as well as placing stations such the service was desirable.

As an example, using tunnels to take the tracks out of the highway ROW at those key nodes, meet major stations/streets, before returning to the highway route. Again, big bucks, lots of other more sensible places to put the money first.

But worth a look down the road.

To which I offer:

View attachment 230146

View attachment 230147

From: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...f-jobs-occurring-in-torontos-downtown-report/

Overall with the exception of the Airport Zone, suburban employment growth is negligible.

The growth is all downtown.

#2 - I couldn't find the numbers, but there is a reason that thread was created

No one is going to take the GO train from Pickering to Whitby if they have a car cause the local transit network sucks. No one is going to abandon their cars to sit on buses taking 3x more time. It's going to take a lot more investment and government policies to get people out of their cars. Until that changes, there would be no point of having service on the CP corridor.

Or how about building better communities so that driving isn't a necessity to begin with? More density with more businesses, restaurants, supermarkets etc. close to people so that they can either walk/bike to where they need to go or else if they need to drive it will be for shorter distances?

I mean look at Yonge/Eglinton area or downtown and if you live there a car isn't a must have because most things are close to you and are within walking/biking or short TTC ride away. Why can't we have more of that in the suburbs and build higher density communities there so that we don't have to build expensive transit that will likely be underutilized?

I well remember the undivided stretch between Barrie and Gravenhurst and it was brutally dangerous in the 1970s.
As well, before my driving time but I recall it as a kid when the family visited relatives in the wilds of Richmond Hill that a lot of Hwy 11 was 3-lane; two for each direction plus a common passing lane, including over crests. It was known as a suicide lane.

At least it's called Highway 11, not Yonge Street (Yonge Street is actually quite short on the provincial level and Yonge Street only occupied under 10% of pre-Harris Highway 11 and does not overlap with any length of post-Harris Highway 11):

1089px-Yonge_and_Hwy_11_map.jpg

Credit: @Transportfan

I well remember the undivided stretch between Barrie and Gravenhurst and it was brutally dangerous in the 1970s.
As well, before my driving time but I recall it as a kid when the family visited relatives in the wilds of Richmond Hill that a lot of Hwy 11 was 3-lane; two for each direction plus a common passing lane, including over crests. It was known as a suicide lane.
I remember too.
Our station wagon spun out across the highway and ended up in oncoming traffic, narrowly avoiding collision - all while we were wrestling in the back.

TVO is one of the few people/media that doesn't believe the longest street in the world myth.

I debunked it a while ago:

Loooooong over due and time to do it for the full 401 that hasn't seen this.. Want to see the barrier higher that you can't see the headlights of on coming traffic like the US. Trucks still can climb the current barriers and the higher barrier will stop that. The US barriers are even higher on curves. My daughter can't wait to see this happen who lives 30 km west of London.

Loooooong over due and time to do it for the full 401 that hasn't seen this.. Want to see the barrier higher that you can't see the headlights of on coming traffic like the US. Trucks still can climb the current barriers and the higher barrier will stop that. The US barriers are even higher on curves. My daughter can't wait to see this happen who lives 30 km west of London.

I believe the tall wall barrier is actually an MTO creation, even though it is now very common in the US. You can see it on the 401 in several places between KW and London.

I suspect the construction for this contract will start in spring 2021. But it's only for 11 km. It'll be interesting to see if/when the next contracts will get awarded, because most likely Dumpster Fire will lose the next elections and Liberals (assuming they are the winner) will stop awarding new contracts, effectively ending any further widening. There's one giant contract for 55 km. If that gets awarded, we'll have half the 4-lane section widened to 6 lanes.

I believe the tall wall barrier is actually an MTO creation, even though it is now very common in the US. You can see it on the 401 in several places between KW and London.

I suspect the construction for this contract will start in spring 2021. But it's only for 11 km. It'll be interesting to see if/when the next contracts will get awarded, because most likely Dumpster Fire will lose the next elections and Liberals (assuming they are the winner) will stop awarding new contracts, effectively ending any further widening. There's one giant contract for 55 km. If that gets awarded, we'll have half the 4-lane section widened to 6 lanes.
Yes - it's official name is an Ontario Tall Wall. It was first tested in 1968 by DHO. It is a slight variant of the New Jersey shape. (technically, there is also something called an F-shape, which is again very similar, just with slightly different slope angles).

Back