News   Apr 24, 2024
 309     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 508     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 481     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Wonder how much its going to cost to do that.. Seems like a gigantic waste of money to me, even if it is a "nice to have". I feel like there are just so many greater priorities and needs in the provincial highway network right now. I for one would much rather see 100km of the 401 widened out to Kingston.

Wonder how much its going to cost to do that.. Seems like a gigantic waste of money to me, even if it is a "nice to have". I feel like there are just so many greater priorities and needs in the provincial highway network right now. I for one would much rather see 100km of the 401 widened out to Kingston.
I believe there was impetus to get this done, as this section is known as "Carnage Alley" The section between Cobourg and Kingston does not have the same reputation.

It can be a difficult section of highway to drive in adverse conditions. The natural landscape is very flat and provides no obstacle for high winds, whiteout conditions, and heavy rains. The weather, in combination with lots of truck traffic and only having 2 lanes in each direction, can cause a lot of accidents. Whenever there's a major accident (they happen pretty frequently), that section of the highway can be backed up for a long distance because of the limited amount of lanes. They've also had to install barriers in some sections of the median ditch so cars don't fly into opposing traffic during accidents.

It's about time this happened, the extra lane and concrete median will be very useful and will improve safety greatly. Construction will probably take about 4 years at the maximum, which will be good for once the Gordie Howe opens around 2025-2026.

I guess you don't drive west of London much to see the loooooong over due expansion that should happen when they built the Windsor-Tilbury section?? Could never understand why that section was widen and not the rest of it when it has the same load factor for the full distance between Windsor-London.

I already said the 401 needs to be 6-10 lanes for its full length, especially where climbing of trucks has to take place.

They need to start looking at widen the section between London to 403 to 8/10, as well going to 8 from 403 to 8.

After driving various US interstate highways, they need to be widen to 8 lanes in many areas as the current 4 is so out dated and can't do the speed limit in the first place.

The 401 is way too busy with that many trucks. Compare to the states, like the I-86 Southern Tier Expressway in NY would be dead at this time of the night. Like having the entire 2 lanes for yourself kind of dead.

I-86 is one of those "economic development highways" that isn't really fully needed and was built mostly for political purposes.

A lot of the interstates Canadians are familiar with are also the ones close to the border which are generally very low traffic as not a lot of cars travel cross border, especially compared to 20 years ago. A typical US interstate is fairly busy.. I mean I-95 between NYC and Philidelphia is a 12 lane collector-distributor for christs sake.

I-86 is one of those "economic development highways" that isn't really fully needed and was built mostly for political purposes.

A lot of the interstates Canadians are familiar with are also the ones close to the border which are generally very low traffic as not a lot of cars travel cross border, especially compared to 20 years ago. A typical US interstate is fairly busy.. I mean I-95 between NYC and Philidelphia is a 12 lane collector-distributor for christs sake.

The interstates closest to Toronto are quite busy - Interstate 90 in either direction from Buffalo, or Interstates 75 and 94 from Detroit, especially heading towards Toledo/Cincinnati or Chicago.

Interstate 86 is not a good comparison - that'd be like comparing to Highway 400 north of Port Severn on a non-summer weekend.

The interstates closest to Toronto are quite busy - Interstate 90 in either direction from Buffalo, or Interstates 75 and 94 from Detroit, especially heading towards Toledo/Cincinnati or Chicago.

Interstate 86 is not a good comparison - that'd be like comparing to Highway 400 north of Port Severn on a non-summer weekend.
Better comparison would be about as busy as Highway 6 north of Guelph but you get the point.

Even the 401 gets pretty quiet during the super late nights. I69, I90, and I 75/94 are almost dead at 3 am, so it's no surprise that the 401 has very little traffic as well.

Of course they are not going to move forward on highway 7 or widening between Hespeler and Townline. KWC area didn't vote for the conservatives. C-K OTOH voted for the conservatives. What's more likely to happen is one (maybe 2?) of the contracts might be underway before conservatives get voted out in 2022. That one (or 2) contract will complete but the rest will be put on backburner by liberals or NDP.

Of course they are not going to move forward on highway 7 or widening between Hespeler and Townline. KWC area didn't vote for the conservatives. C-K OTOH voted for the conservatives. What's more likely to happen is one (maybe 2?) of the contracts might be underway before conservatives get voted out in 2022. That one (or 2) contract will complete but the rest will be put on backburner by liberals or NDP.
C-K meaning Caledon-King, Cornwall-Kingston?
Oh - Chatham-Kent. That one took me a while - especially since that stretch of road hasn't been talked about for a week. .

Back