News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

The first phase kinda went to the middle of nowhere. This phase actually is quite useful, so I dont think they are worried about low usage.
Phase 1 is way more useful to commuters living between Durham and York Regions. Target audience is the people that wants to reduce their commute time especially when late for work
Phase 2 is useful for people travelling to and from Peterborough/Kawartha Lakes area. Target audience is the impatient drivers bypassing the 401

Arriving 30 minutes later for the target audiences of the two phases would result in way different consequences. From eating a shorter lunch to getting fired at work. Useful is one thing, willingness to pay for it is another.

Phase 1 is way more useful to commuters living between Durham and York Regions. Target audience is the people that wants to reduce their commute time especially when late for work
Phase 2 is useful for people travelling to and from Peterborough/Kawartha Lakes area. Target audience is the impatient drivers bypassing the 401

Arriving 30 minutes later for the target audiences of the two phases would result in way different consequences. From eating a shorter lunch to getting fired at work. Useful is one thing, willingness to pay for it is another.

I know that from now on this will be my defacto route from Burlington to Ottawa (via 115 and 7). Heading westbound, I will either rejoin the 401 at the 412 (bypassing the Whitby-Oshawa section which always seems to be congested) or continue west along the 407 if the 401 is a gong show.

I know that from now on this will be my defacto route from Burlington to Ottawa (via 115 and 7). Heading westbound, I will either rejoin the 401 at the 412 (bypassing the Whitby-Oshawa section which always seems to be congested) or continue west along the 407 if the 401 is a gong show.
But how often will you be making this trip?

This phase is going to be much lower traffic than phase 1.. Phase 1 is useful for about half a million people living in Durham Region, this second phase is more of a long range highway that connects with a highway (35/115) that isn't even particularly busy.

Phase 1 was free for a while since the toll infrastructure was not calibrated.

Wasn't that the original point of the highway; to be a Toronto bypass to replace the original Toronto bypass (401)?

And seriously, just get a transponder if you live in the GTA. The monthly account fee and camera charge adds up too quickly otherwise.
I had one when I lived far outside of the GTA but visited monthly-ish. It more than paid for itself quite quickly.

I drive up to Ottawa 4-5 times a year to see family. Most of the time my trip there is during the PM peak, so using the 407 comes in handy.
That's my point. Most people who use it for family trips and leisure wouldn't be using it daily. On weekdays, phase 2 would likely see much lower usage.

That's my point. Most people who use it for family trips and leisure wouldn't be using it daily. On weekdays, phase 2 would likely see much lower usage.

Agreed. There were more urgently needed highway projects in the GTHA than the 407 extension, but that is the one the government chose to move forward with. I was just pointing out how it would be potentially useful for me. Even before this extension opened, I was taking it to the end at Taunton and then using that to access 35/115.

You only get a camera charge once, no matter what.

The entry charge is only charged if you use the private part of the highway.

If you have a transponder and only use the public portion, you only have to pay for the km rate. If you don't have a transponder, and drive on the public portion, you pay the camera charge and km rate. If you don't have a transponder and start your trip on the public portion but enter the private portion, you pay a single camera charge, an entry fee, and the km rate.

And seriously, just get a transponder if you live in the GTA. The monthly account fee and camera charge adds up too quickly otherwise.
From a marketing point of view, I think it'd be a good gesture if the rental fee is credited back - in essence making the transponder free for regular users.

Seen yesterday afternoon driving northbound on Kipling Ave towards Evans Ave. Need some help from the Grade Six Spelling Bee.

20191215_155324.jpg

Seen yesterday afternoon driving northbound on Kipling Ave towards Evans Ave. Need some help from the Grade Six Spelling Bee.

View attachment 220438
That is much less forgivable than "Lakeshore Boulevard (correct spelling is Lake Shore Boulevard) or Queen's Key (correct spelling is Queens Quay)."

Back