News   May 08, 2024
 232     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 629     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 527     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I would really like to know what was going through the heads of the designers of the 401 WB to Hurontario offramp intersection design. Turning left in the inside lane the curve is way too sharp and slows down traffic so much.

Since the left turns will often back up several signal cycles, it is faster to turn right and then do a u-turn.

Hopefully someone at the MTO sees this and can cut back the median island!

Another intersection is shown below with a more standard design that allows smooth left turns.

View attachment 173977
View attachment 173978
Are you suggesting to move the northbound stop line south and cut back the median a bit?

"Among other topics, Tony Tuinstra, director of the MTO’s Contract Management and Operations Branch, addressed asphalt quality and problems with the implementation of the MTO’s new Web-Based Contract Management Service (WBCMS)."

Addressing asphalt quality, is this in regards to roads cracking only a couple years after being built/ re-paved? You would think Ontario (where we experience crippling cold and extreme heat) would have figured out by now a proper asphalt mix to use for our roads to withstand the environment. I also don't like that our government has resorted to using cement on some of our highways. I know it's trivial, but I think an asphalt road with freshly painted lines is more "aesthetic" than a cement road, which just looks like a giant sidewalk. I hate how the 401 expansion in Mississauga is being done with cement.

There could have been some possible contractor problem, someone trying to save money and thin the asphalt mix. Considering the complete inability for the past provincial government at checks and balances and making sure contractors werent doing work incorrectly and basically stealing money from the province, it wouldnt surprise me.

Asphalt isnt just aesthetically pleasing (its also quieter and a smoother ride), it has more grip in cold weather, withstands salting better, and is less prone to cracking with freeze/thaw in colder climates than concrete. (if paved properly and the proper mix)

London is currently in a last min scramble to decide if we want a Bus Rapid Transit network.

It heavily contrasts to the cancelled freeway network plan that was in a last min scramble.

Some interesting history here from a 3-part documentary from CTV London

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

People say the Gardiner and rail corridor are barriers to the waterfront, but honestly Lakeshore Blvd is so much worse. I was crossing today and it's pure death in the dark. The pedestrian crossings are criminally under illuminated. The speeds are very high and the corner turning radii are bad. I would sooner see Lakeshore torn up than the Gardiner. High capacity express LRT anyone?

New lanes have been recently added on 401 near Allen Road by reducing the width of shoulder lanes. I don't remember reading about that. Won't that make the road more dangerous in case of an emergency?

where did they do that, exactly? First I've heard of it. Hopefully in the eastbound collectors, since they always dropped to 2 lanes through there.

I know MTO has been selectively adding lanes here and there on the 401 as the various reconstruction contracts have been issued along the central part of it to fix bottlenecks. They added a westbound collectors lane from the 400 to the 409 a few years ago, for example. I'm fairly certian they are doing something around Bayview and Leslie right now as well with some small lane re configurations.

One lane added from basketweave to Allen because of the construction in the collector and around the Dufferin/Yorkdale exit. The did (I think) add an extra lane to the collectors from Allen to Hoggs Hollow, but the Avenue Road bridge reconstruction means the lane got cut back after being opened for a few months; which makes that section of the collector a mess during rush hour because of the Allen Road to 401 express ramp closure. Terrible weaving ensures.

where did they do that, exactly? First I've heard of it. Hopefully in the eastbound collectors, since they always dropped to 2 lanes through there.

I know MTO has been selectively adding lanes here and there on the 401 as the various reconstruction contracts have been issued along the central part of it to fix bottlenecks. They added a westbound collectors lane from the 400 to the 409 a few years ago, for example. I'm fairly certian they are doing something around Bayview and Leslie right now as well with some small lane re configurations.
Compare the satellite view of the eastbound express lanes here - https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7259264,-79.467242,99m/data=!3m1!1e3
vs the street view of the same road here - https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7260...4!1s22t2IbHjX5zn63IVlqxi8g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Has the 407 consortium released any plans for 407's expansion beyond the current capacity? It seems like they have maxed out on most of the sections and can't add any more lanes without rebuilding the overpasses. They can still manage for a few years by keeping traffic growth in check by increasing tolls but what after that? When do they plan to expand? Will it be express-collector after expansion? Doesn't make sense to have 8 or more lanes running in parallel.

People say the Gardiner and rail corridor are barriers to the waterfront, but honestly Lakeshore Blvd is so much worse. I was crossing today and it's pure death in the dark. The pedestrian crossings are criminally under illuminated. The speeds are very high and the corner turning radii are bad. I would sooner see Lakeshore torn up than the Gardiner. High capacity express LRT anyone?

Which section of Lakeshore? East of the.Humber River or west, or east of there entirely?

While the elevated part of the Gardiner isn’t a pedestrian barrier, its on and off ramps make the pedestrian experience terrible.

Reactions: rbt
Compare the satellite view of the eastbound express lanes here - https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7259264,-79.467242,99m/data=!3m1!1e3
vs the street view of the same road here - https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7260...4!1s22t2IbHjX5zn63IVlqxi8g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
I'm confused - they both show 5 lanes.

Has the 407 consortium released any plans for 407's expansion beyond the current capacity? It seems like they have maxed out on most of the sections and can't add any more lanes without rebuilding the overpasses. They can still manage for a few years by keeping traffic growth in check by increasing tolls but what after that? When do they plan to expand? Will it be express-collector after expansion? Doesn't make sense to have 8 or more lanes running in parallel.

The 407 is currently at it's "ultimate" size from the 410 to the 404. The 407 has no real plans to expand beyond the existing, as far as I know. I imagine they'll keep raising tolls for a while until it makes sense to do a full rebuild. making a collector-express system would be far more expensive than just adding lanes as they are used to doing as it would require a full reconstruction of the highway.

I would certianly be interested to see an 18 lane collector-express system across the Northern GTA like the 401 is in Mississauga - if the 407 has the space. They certainly have the money.

Back