News   May 30, 2024
 798     1 
News   May 30, 2024
 513     0 
News   May 30, 2024
 982     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Still better than before when it was red from 401 to Williams Parkway. Plus if you carpool now the delay will be very small.

It’s indisputable that immediately after a multi-year long massive construction project, the 410 NB should have zero red/yellow.

This project is a massive f*** up.

I heard on the news not long ago that the 400 from Highway 89 to Barrie is going to get HOV lanes and be 6 lanes or something like that, does anyone else remember hearing something like this?

commercial uses are a greater driver of traffic than subdivisions - and those are almost exclusively south of Queen.
commercial uses are a greater driver of truck traffic.......but in a, mostly, commuter town it is clear that the most dominant user of the road is the single occupant automobile. We may not like that, we may wish it would change....but ignoring it has produced what we see today on the 410 NB in the evening rush hours.

It’s indisputable that immediately after a multi-year long massive construction project, the 410 NB should have zero red/yellow.

This project is a massive f*** up.
If a highway is never red/yellow then it has been over designed. A healthy level of congestion in the peak hours is a good sign that road supply/demand is balanced.

If a highway is never red/yellow then it has been over designed. A healthy level of congestion in the peak hours is a good sign that road supply/demand is balanced.
Exactly. No professional would suggest that it was never yellow! Can you imagine how massive an error it would be to design infrastructure that way!

Wow. That is some strange logic. You can explain that to the MTO which embarked on the 410 “expansion” with the explicit intention of alleviating traffic.

"Among other topics, Tony Tuinstra, director of the MTO’s Contract Management and Operations Branch, addressed asphalt quality and problems with the implementation of the MTO’s new Web-Based Contract Management Service (WBCMS)."

Addressing asphalt quality, is this in regards to roads cracking only a couple years after being built/ re-paved? You would think Ontario (where we experience crippling cold and extreme heat) would have figured out by now a proper asphalt mix to use for our roads to withstand the environment. I also don't like that our government has resorted to using cement on some of our highways. I know it's trivial, but I think an asphalt road with freshly painted lines is more "aesthetic" than a cement road, which just looks like a giant sidewalk. I hate how the 401 expansion in Mississauga is being done with cement.

Last edited:
Wow. That is some strange logic. You can explain that to the MTO which embarked on the 410 “expansion” with the explicit intention of alleviating traffic.
If highways are always flowing smoothly (green) in rush hour, then it simply means there isn't enough demand for the highway.

It could mean a few things:
1. The simply isn't enough population to utilize the infrastructure
2. The highway simply isn't going where people want to go
3. The economy is in a recession thus it's not being utilized as it was supposed to be
4. Toll is too expensive (i.e. highway 407) if there is one
5. Who knows. The road is haunted? Too many potholes? Too dangerous?

Anyways, none of the reasons are good. Given a healthy economy and population, newly built highways will reach maturity in a few years and be saturated to a point that enough people no longer find the highway attractive hence it caps out. If it doesn't, then it'll just cap at max capacity.

If highways are always flowing smoothly (green) in rush hour, then it simply means there isn't enough demand for the highway.

It could mean a few things:
  1. The simply isn't enough population to utilize the infrastructure
  2. The highway simply isn't going where people want to go
  3. The economy is in a recession thus it's not being utilized as it was supposed to be
  4. Toll is too expensive (i.e. highway 407) if there is one
  5. Who knows. The road is haunted? Too many potholes? Too dangerous?

Anyways, none of the reasons are good. Given a healthy economy and population, newly built highways will reach maturity in a few years and be saturated to a point that enough people no longer find the highway attractive hence it caps out. If it doesn't, then it'll just cap at max capacity.

6. There is a collision up the road somewhere, out of sight.

I would really like to know what was going through the heads of the designers of the 401 WB to Hurontario offramp intersection design. Turning left in the inside lane the curve is way too sharp and slows down traffic so much.

Since the left turns will often back up several signal cycles, it is faster to turn right and then do a u-turn.

Hopefully someone at the MTO sees this and can cut back the median island!

Another intersection is shown below with a more standard design that allows smooth left turns.

Back