News   Jul 15, 2024
 371     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 504     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I'm confused - they both show 5 lanes.

The 407 is currently at it's "ultimate" size from the 410 to the 404. The 407 has no real plans to expand beyond the existing, as far as I know. I imagine they'll keep raising tolls for a while until it makes sense to do a full rebuild. making a collector-express system would be far more expensive than just adding lanes as they are used to doing as it would require a full reconstruction of the highway.

I would certianly be interested to see an 18 lane collector-express system across the Northern GTA like the 401 is in Mississauga - if the 407 has the space. They certainly have the money.

Given the choice of a 18 lane collector express system on the 407 or a 4 to 6 lane GTA north bypass which would you choose. Assume costs are the same or sumilar.

You aren't going to be able to get a highway through the Oak Ridges Moraine between the 400 and the 404 until you get up to the Bradford Bypass.

;)

I wouldn't dismiss the potential of anything on the moraine or in the Green Belt under the current government.

I have always questioned the sanctity of the Moraine vs the headwaters of Holland River. The former is prettier and closer to a voter base but the later has a greater environmental benefit (and very pretty if you know where to look). I would rather see the little strip of land between Richmond Hill and Aurora become an expressway compared to tearing up marshland.

I have always questioned the sanctity of the Moraine vs the headwaters of Holland River. The former is prettier and closer to a voter base but the later has a greater environmental benefit (and very pretty if you know where to look). I would rather see the little strip of land between Richmond Hill and Aurora become an expressway compared to tearing up marshland.

The Moraine, being the local height of land and because of its geology of absorbent sand and gravel, is the headwaters for all the local rivers flowing north and south of it. The east branches of the Holland start around Newmarket/Vandorf and the western tributaries around Schomburg -all on the north 'slope of the Moraine. A "little strip", in and of itself, might not have much of an impact, but it would be a chink in the armour that is already pretty banged up.

There has been much discussion in various threads in UT about the Ford Government's transit plans or lack thereof, however I have not seen much about what they might have in mind for the highway and freeway network in this Province.
Any discussion about which Freeway projects they may champion and if they may contemplate downloading or even uploading and Regional and City roads?

There has been much discussion in various threads in UT about the Ford Government's transit plans or lack thereof, however I have not seen much about what they might have in mind for the highway and freeway network in this Province.
Any discussion about which Freeway projects they may champion and if they may contemplate downloading or even uploading and Regional and City roads?
I really hope they don’t download the 400-series highways.

I really hope they don’t download the 400-series highways.
I think the PC's wanted to upload the Gardiner and DVP under Hudak. That would have saved the City $0.5B on the hybrid Gardiner plan.
However, quite recently, the City voted to not endorse this. I guess they are happy spending the money themselves.
At least there's some logic now - the old scenario was when the QEW made it to Humber River. Either Gardiner and DVP should be MTO, or QEW ends at 427. Having that short QEW stub made no sense.

Last edited:
I'm confused - they both show 5 lanes.

See this screenshot below. It shows 4 lanes with really wide shoulders in satellite view

The 407 is currently at it's "ultimate" size from the 410 to the 404. The 407 has no real plans to expand beyond the existing, as far as I know. I imagine they'll keep raising tolls for a while until it makes sense to do a full rebuild. making a collector-express system would be far more expensive than just adding lanes as they are used to doing as it would require a full reconstruction of the highway.

I would certianly be interested to see an 18 lane collector-express system across the Northern GTA like the 401 is in Mississauga - if the 407 has the space. They certainly have the money.

I have read that their ROW is good enough for 20 lanes.

DOUG FORD:

“We’re announcing a phenomenal, just outstanding transit plan on Wednesday. It’s going to be the largest infrastructure project in transit in North America. It’s going to be $28.5 billion that we’re looking to invest into Ontario to get people moving from Point A to Point B,” Ford said Tuesday in Burlington.

“That’s just the transit side. We have some fabulous ideas for the QEW and the Gardiner, as well as the 401 because not every single person hops on the subways. But we’re going to have an incredible transit system and a transportation system to get people moving and get people from Point A to Point B, but get goods from Point A to Point B,” the premier said

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ite-province-planning-major-announcement.html

Provincial upload of the Gardiner and a bunch of highway widenings? Would the DVP be uploaded as well?

Back