News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

The Toronto Region Board of Trade is calling for a vertical expansion of Highway 401 near Toronto Pearson International Airport to help alleviate gridlock.

https://www.680news.com/2018/06/26/highway-401-ease-gridlock-board-trade/

-----

At the 427 for instance, the 401 goes from 18 to 10 lanes (and just 8 under the 427) as the collector lanes end. If a new viaduct was built to extend the collector lanes between Highways 427 and 409, you would eliminate this bottleneck.
Basically, some of the traffic was supposed to transfer to the Richview Expressway. That was the start of the problems.

On 401 EB just before the 403 split in Woodstock, an information sign was installed letting you know about travel times.

This helps you decide whether to take the 401 or 403 to Greater Toronto if there is a backup on one of them. It's a welcome addition!

BzMgybW.jpg

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.1049...4!1sMnLOD0YGSk4VyqpxEBtr2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Signs like these are great. This one in particular I feel can be a bit confusing for no other reason than the layout/formatting. Perhaps if they could put a bigger vertical space between the Guelph and Hamilton sections, or say use a shorthand for Lincoln Alexander (do ppl in Hamilton say LMA Pkwy?). I dunno, maybe it's just me that has to mentally figure this sign out when looking at it.

And agree with others that if another sign said travel times to Highway 427 it could be quite helpful.

The Toronto Region Board of Trade is calling for a vertical expansion of Highway 401 near Toronto Pearson International Airport to help alleviate gridlock.

-----

At the 427 for instance, the 401 goes from 18 to 10 lanes (and just 8 under the 427) as the collector lanes end. If a new viaduct was built to extend the collector lanes between Highways 427 and 409, you would eliminate this bottleneck.

Was wondering if this was an off the cuff remark by the board, or if they had a report to back. They do have a report. Was hoping for something a bit more technical or descriptive of plans for a dual level highway. But regardless I do appreciate that they're saying straight up an elevated solution. Sort of get the impression that "elevated" is either verbotten or seldom heard here, and expected that they'd woo people by saying tunnel and only tunnel. They should get MTO to commission a study to see its merits.

-----

Good thing this won't happen in the foreseeable future:

1280px-Cypress_structure.jpeg

Toronto has been hit by earthquakes, but none were strong like the above yet.

Any detour for the 401 in that stretch is likely going to be longer than sticking out the delay caused by road work. The highway cuts up a diagonal with only 3 exits in 30 km (238/250/268) and not necessarily an easy path between them.
If their destination is Toronto (or anywhere east) they have the option of either going via 401 to 427, or via 403/QEW to 427.

Toronto has been hit by earthquakes, but none were strong like the above yet.

Yet being the key word. When it comes to very deep, unstudied (and impossible to study), intra-plate seismic scenarios, never say never. New Madrid type earthquakes can potentially surprise lots of places.

And when it comes to toppled elevated highways I think Kobe will forever take the cake.

Is expropriation really not an option here?

Perhaps not along Greensboro Dr, unless one of the business owners gets a hefty payout. There is a 100m wide hydro corridor paralleling 401 to the north between 409 and 427. From a cursory glance by a casual observer I think it could be used. Would be a good bypass solution providing equal throughput as east and west of there.

Essentially, Eglinton Avenue was to be a freeway - which basically would have gone down Black Creek Drive, then across Davenport to DVP. This way, half the 401 EB traffic near the airport would take the Richview Expressway - alleviating that portion of the 401.

http://www.gettorontomoving.ca/roads.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancelled_expressways_in_Toronto
1966-expressway-map.gif
Often things don’t work out as planned. Eastbound at 427 is a total shitshow. But westbound from Islington is also a shitshow and that plan from 1966 never anticipated that.

Often things don’t work out as planned. Eastbound at 427 is a total shitshow. But westbound from Islington is also a shitshow and that plan from 1966 never anticipated that.
All the unbuilt expressways would be all jammed up today if they were built. I don't see why 20 more lanes of freeway out of the core would do any good.

Although how did those cars get onto WB 401 at Islington?
Presumably, many came from downtown (i.e. DVP, Allen, etc. up to 401 and then WB. Their alternative would have been Richview to 401 WB - and they could have skipped this portion of 401 at Islington completely.

If their destination is Toronto (or anywhere east) they have the option of either going via 401 to 427, or via 403/QEW to 427.

Sure, but the argument here is the sign doesn't tell you estimated travel time to downtown Toronto, only Highway 6 or the Linc, so what purpose does it serve? It's like comparing apples to oranges. You can get to Guelph on a highway that isn't really that busy in this amount of time OR you can get to Hamilton on a highway that really isn't that busy in this amount of time. Those of us who travel to TO from the west with any amount of frequency know that the congestion doesn't start until after those points, whichever way you take.

All the unbuilt expressways would be all jammed up today if they were built. I don't see why 20 more lanes of freeway out of the core would do any good.
The plan for the municipal expressway system wasn't that large - it would have totaled 16 additional lanes, if you include each direction. I believe the 400 Extension was going to be 4 lanes each way between the Richview Expressway and the Crosstown Expressway, with Spadina and the Scarborough Expressways being 2 lanes in each direction.

That would have given Toronto a total of about 28 freeway lanes out of the core. Compare to Chicago, which has 54. (8 on Lake Shore Drive North, 8 on Lake Shore Drive South, 10 on I90 North, 14 on I90 South, 8 on I290, and 6 on I55)

It would have also cut up communities and caused a lot of segregation like Chicago. I am happy some projects weren't done like the Spadina Expressway. Extensions of the Richview and 404 to where the two would have met would have been nice however.

401 might not have had as many lanes as it does today if all this was built however. It had to widen to pick up the slack.

It would also have been nice to get rapid transit lines built in the median / right of way.

-----

Would'a could'a should'a. Need to worry about what we can fix now and the future. Some 401 expansion to open up the bottlenecks is a good place to start.

I present my proposal of tunneling the 409 under the airport to a connection with the end of the 403 as a solution to alleviate congestion in the area.
Benefits:
- provides access to the airport from the west without using the 410/401/427 interchange mess.
- provides an alternative route through the area on the 409 from the east.

Negatives:
- cost
- sensitive land east of the 403

Back