News   Apr 18, 2024
 276     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Can anyone think of other roundabouts in the GTA? There aren't many, I can only think of two really small ones in rosedale for Toronto.

Now that I think of it, there are a few multi lane roundabouts at the newly reconfigured Holt Road interchange in Courtice, so I guess hwy 48 won't be the first. Probably the largest though.

the only major arterial roundabouts I can think of: (there are lots in subdivisions on very low traffic streets around the GTA)

- Holt Road / 401, Courtice ( 3 roundabouts)
- Tenth Line, Stouffville (2 roundabouts)
- York/Durham line and Durham 5, Stouffville/Pickering
- Concession 6 and Durham 8, Uxbridge
- Keele and Lloydtown Aurora Road, Aurora
- Tremaine Road, Milton (4 roundabouts)
- King Street and Coleraine drive, Bolton
- Emil Kolb Parkway and Highway 50, Bolton
There are a few in Peel region......first one was opened in 2011 on Dixie Road

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/3077220-region-introduces-traffic-roundabout/

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...-coming-to-bloomington-hwy-48-in-stouffville/

New roundabout at highway 48 and Bloomington coming this summer. This will be the first multi lane roundabout I can think of in the GTA. The intersection needs it - the current setup has a roughly 2 minute cycle time as each direction of Bloomington needs a separate signal to accommodate left turns. Makes just missing the light a giant pain.

We should start the pool now for how long it takes, after opening day, for the first gravel-hauler to take it too fast and roll over.

^given the gravel truck traffic on Bloomington, I give it a week.

If anyone isn't familiar with Bloomington, it's quite a painful road to drive on. Lots of stoplights, low speed limit coming off of the 404, every other vehicle is a gravel truck doing 70/km/h.. During rush hour it is bumper to bumper at 70km/h with no respite. Not a fun road to drive on.

This roundabout should at least help a little bit. The Highway 48 light is always a pain to get through.

Anyone know what is going on at the Credit River Bridge on the QEW? They've done some land and brush clearing north of the QEW on the east bank.

Bridge expansion? Twinning? Nothing?

^Twinning / rehabilitation. For now no lane widening, just some on and off ramp re-configurations for the Mississauga road interchange, but it is preparing the highway for MTO to add a new HOV lane in each direction at some point in the future. My understanding is that it is just brush clearing this year, with full construction starting in 2019.

MTO is also planning to start rehabbing the QEW around Sherway Gardens very soon, which is the first phase of the Dixie Road interchange reconstruction.

Once all of those projects are done in the mid 2020's, they will probably move ahead with adding the HOV lane between the 403 and 427.

As timio noted, there are more roundabouts than you can count in Waterloo Region now, probably well over 50 at this point. They recently opened a pair of three lane roundabouts at Ottawa and Homer Watson/Alpine, which I'm guessing is probably the largest pair in the province now.

Can anyone think of other roundabouts in the GTA?

There's one in the Pelmo Park area at Gary Drive and Wendell Avenue - really small and it has four way stop signs - more of a traffic calming measure than a true roundabout.

Anyone know what is going on at the Credit River Bridge on the QEW? They've done some land and brush clearing north of the QEW on the east bank.

Bridge expansion? Twinning? Nothing?

East of Credit to 410 under construction now: http://www.401expansion-mississauga.ca/
West of Credit to Milton in procurement: http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Hwy-401-Expansion/

New bridges will be built over Credit as part of the 2nd project for the WB & EB collector lanes, while the existing bridge serves as the express lanes.

What does a Greek philosopher have to do with the Chinese?

Do the Chinese admire Aristotle?

Yes, it's in reference to the new street to meet with Norman Bethune.

There's also a roundabout on Spadina, another roundabout at Old Park and Elm Ridge (in Forest Hill North), and two roundabouts along Broadway between Mount Pleasant and Bayview.

Back