News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 720     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

http://www.570news.com/2017/07/15/mto-says-design-plans-underway-upgrade-highway-6-guelph/

MTO says design plans are underway to upgrade Highway 6 in Guelph

Highway 6 in Guelph is getting a major facelift.

Traffic volumes on Highway 6 range from approximately 25,000 to 45,000 vehicles per day.

Now the province is working to increase safety, improve traffic flow and reduce congestion on the much used highway.

The Ministry of Transportation has started the next phase of design work to upgrade the Hanlon Expressway to a full freeway from Maltby Road northerly to the Speed River.

This project builds on the construction of the future Highway 6 Morriston Bypass, Highway 401 widening and improvements to the south end of the Hanlon Expressway.

The phase of design is anticipated to take two years to complete. The reason ” there is a lot of structural design work that has to be done, foundation design work that has to be done, identifying utility locations and where to relocate them, as well as the environmental work that has to be done,” said Roger Ward, Area Manager highway engineering, for West Region Ministry of Transportation.

Once the project is completed ” it will greatly reduce commute times and levels of congestion along the Hanlon,” said Ward.

The plan includes:

The construction of new interchanges at Kortright Road/Downey Road and at Stone Road like the one completed at Laird Road in 2013

Replacing the intersection at College Avenue with a bridge at Highway 6

A new municipal service road west of Highway 6 between Woodland Glen Drive and the new interchange at Stone Road.

More details about the construction will be released in local newspapers sometime this summer.

Here's my finished 401-404-DVP interchange. Click the link below the image for full size (a whopping 6485x3868)

ogYX65kh.png

Full size: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4318/35181620833_13397f1017_o.png

I'm still waiting for the 401-427 mega-interchange.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to accept that challenge... yet :p

Last edited:
You're missing the HOV lane tunnel from southbound to westbound :p

Adding the Sheppard collector / HOV tunnel / etc would have upped the scale of the project immensely. Since that isn't the focus, I chose not to include it. What I made is just inspired by the junction.

Your missing that there's a fantasy map thread for this stuff.

Huh, I never really considered this a map, but I can see it now.

The Highway 401-Highway 427 mega-interchange and the Highway 401-Allen interchange are not for the faint of heart when it comes to replicating them in either SimCity 4 or in Cities: Skylines.

If urban management simulation games were to have final bosses, replicating either of the aforementioned two interchanges would be them.

The Highway 401-Highway 427 mega-interchange and the Highway 401-Allen interchange are not for the faint of heart when it comes to replicating them in either SimCity 4 or in Cities: Skylines.

If urban management simulation games were to have final bosses, replicating either of the aforementioned two interchanges would be them.
Mostly because there are no places that repeat, so copy and pasting is not viable :(

Hey to each their own. I've played Cities: Skylines, and I still prefer SimCity 4 over it. Both games are great, and both games have their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyways I've finished the 'raw' form of the 401-404-DVP interchange in SC4. Still needs a bit of additional tinkering, lights, signs, beautification, etc... But here's proof that you can create it in SimCity!

If interested, more pics here: http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/50916-show-us-what-youre-working-on/?page=139

Interesting. I still have a retail copy of SC4, and played it a bit when it came out. My issue was that no matter how efficient I made a city's transportation system, ppl seemed to take the side streets. Had to give up. Heard so much about Skylines but still have yet to try it so can't judge how well it compares.

Interesting. I still have a retail copy of SC4, and played it a bit when it came out. My issue was that no matter how efficient I made a city's transportation system, ppl seemed to take the side streets. Had to give up. Heard so much about Skylines but still have yet to try it so can't judge how well it compares.

Cities Skylines uses agent-based simulation, which simulates every single citizen, while SimCity 4 uses statistical-based simulation, which shows theoretical/fake vehicles on the road. Cities Skylines and SimCity 2013 (5) are modern city simulation games that are better at simulating and require mid-high end PCs, while SimCity 4 is more suitable for lower mid-end PCs.

Cities Skylines uses agent-based simulation, which simulates every single citizen, while SimCity 4 uses statistical-based simulation, which shows theoretical/fake vehicles on the road. Cities Skylines and SimCity 2013 (5) are modern city simulation games that are better at simulating and require mid-high end PCs, while SimCity 4 is more suitable for lower mid-end PCs.
SimCity 4 was processor-intensive when it was first released in 2003. One would need a high-end desktop computer for that back then.

Nowadays, a decent smartwatch today is more powerful than the most powerful desktop computer sold in mainstream electronics retailers in 2003.

Back