News   Jul 17, 2024
 323     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 745     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Agreed. I gave up and simply concluded that I'd avoid that area if I'm driving around next weekend.

Damn that's twice in one day we're in agreement.

But seriously it was terribly written. Maybe if they broke it down into paragraphs at least it'd help.

Let's try this again, with paragraphs:

Highway 401 from Highway 403 and 410 to west of Mclaughlin Road including Hurontario Street north and south of Highway 401. Expect delays up to 10 minutes.

Friday August 24 7:00 p.m. to Saturday August 25 11:30 a.m. Ramp 401 Eastbound to Hurontario Northbound/Southbound closed and Lane 3 closed on Highway 401 Eastbound from Mavis Road to Highway 410. Friday August 24 Lane 2 will also be closed at 8:30 p.m. and re-open Saturday at 11:30 a.m.

Saturday August 25 8:30 p.m. to Sunday August 26 11:30 a.m. Ramp from Highway 401 Eastbound to Hurontario Northbound/Southbound closed; Lanes 2 and 3 of Highway 401 Eastbound closed from Mavis Road to Highway 410; ramp Highway 401 Eastbound to Highway 410 Northbound closed; access to Highway 401 Eastbound collectors east of Highway 410 closed; ramp Highway 401 Eastbound to Dixie Road Northbound/Southbound closed.

Sunday August 26 8:30 p.m. to Monday August 27 5:00 a.m.; Ramp 401 Eastbound to Hurontario Northbound/Southbound closed; Lanes 2 and 3 of Highway 401 Eastbound closed from Mavis Road to Highway 410; ramp 401 Eastbound to Highway 410 Northbound closed; access to Highway 401 Eastbound collectors east of Highway 410 closed; ramp Highway 401 Eastbound to Dixie Road Northbound/Southbound closed.

Friday August 24 7:00 p.m. to Monday August 27 5:00a.m.: ramps Hurontario Street Nothbound and Soutbound to Highway 401 Eastbound closed.

This looks like enough to get the EB lanes over to the new collectors, or very close to being ready to do so, but we'll have to wait and see. Unlike when the WB lanes moved over, this does not suggest that the highway will close and re-open in the collectors.

Let's try this again, with paragraphs:

This looks like enough to get the EB lanes over to the new collectors, or very close to being ready to do so, but we'll have to wait and see. Unlike when the WB lanes moved over, this does not suggest that the highway will close and re-open in the collectors.

it looks like they still have to demolish the old highway 10 support walls before they re-open the lanes to commuter traffic. Those old highway 10 support walls had no space for a paved shoulder, so it looks like the new highway 10 bridge will have ample shoulder lanes on both the collector and express side

it looks like they still have to demolish the old highway 10 support walls before they re-open the lanes to commuter traffic. Those old highway 10 support walls had no space for a paved shoulder, so it looks like the new highway 10 bridge will have ample shoulder lanes on both the collector and express side

The old "Hwy 10" supports under the new Hurontario bridge really need to go. Dunno why they didn't just get rid of them in one shot when they were doing the demolition before.

The old "Hwy 10" supports under the new Hurontario bridge really need to go. Dunno why they didn't just get rid of them in one shot when they were doing the demolition before.

They demolished only what was necessary. Remember that they closed the entire 401 that night.
The stumps are closer to the express lanes than the new collectors. The rest can wait until traffic is shifted away to the new collectors. That will give them ample manoeuvring room to complete the work.

They demolished only what was necessary. Remember that they closed the entire 401 that night.
The stumps are closer to the express lanes than the new collectors. The rest can wait until traffic is shifted away to the new collectors. That will give them ample manoeuvring room to complete the work.

Yeah but if you're going to go to the effort to close the 401, as they did at the time, why not take the extra time to fully remove them? How much longer would it have taken?

Frankly, they wanted to open it in the morning.

There's going to be a lot of bridge footing in the ground that they're going to pry up, and that's going to be a slow process.

I don't really see what the rush is. There's a lot of work to be done on the old express lanes, and if they can work on the footings at the same time, while the traffic is routed farther away through the new collectors, then it just sounds like prudent project management.

Yo, to my amazement, they closed off the entrances to the highway 401 this morning, even closed the gate and put pylons, but did not put any advance signage on any of the roads that lead to the expressway. They did this to the Mavis Entrance, the Highway 10 Entrance, and possibly even the dixie entrance (couldnt check dixie it was too far away)

What they should do is erect a sign somewhere like a block or 2 away from the highway interchange, which gives motorists enough time to plan an alternate route. they could easily put a recommended alternate route also, like "use 403 instead" lol its the small things that the MTO doesnt do that annoys motorists.

While I was driving on the overpass I saw that the traffic was down to one lane eastbound, not sure what they were doing? were they moving traffic from the express to the collectors to demolish the old highway 10 bridge support walls?

According to CBC, they've transferred all traffic to the collectors for the next year, like they've done in the Westbound lanes.

I didn't go through there this morning due to horrible congestion caused by an accident. Got off at Mississauga Rd. and took the 407 across to the 427.

Do you have a link to that story? Looking for updates.
Just on the radio. And I saw it on my way home too. No transfer opportunity until east of Dixie, therefore the merging 401 and 410 traffic will cause a backup until this is done.

This morning I noticed the eastbound lanes not moving, so I didn't take them. On the way home I heard about the shifting of the lanes to the new collectors as well.

Just on the radio. And I saw it on my way home too. No transfer opportunity until east of Dixie, therefore the merging 401 and 410 traffic will cause a backup until this is done.
An update after driving through this morning: There is a one lane transfer to the express before the 410 from the left lane. Not signed as far as I noticed (yet).

Back