News   Jul 17, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 965     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

All westbound traffic is in the collectors from 410 - Mavis now. Express lanes are closed. It was odd to see a traffic at 6:45 this morning that far west, but I guess this is the new norm until construction is complete. Don't want to think about what it might be like during weekday afternoons.

Yep, was driving eastbound through that area and it look like a wreck. They now have some heavy machinery around the 410 ripping up parts of the road. This will cause absolute chaos in the afternoon rush. The collectors is already brutal through that area during the afternoon/evening. I wonder how long it will last? Something tells me that they are now going to do some major reconstruction to the old Hurontario bridge supports and the existing 401 express including the road surface and barriers.

Yep, was driving eastbound through that area and it look like a wreck. They now have some heavy machinery around the 410 ripping up parts of the road. This will cause absolute chaos in the afternoon rush. The collectors is already brutal through that area during the afternoon/evening. I wonder how long it will last? Something tells me that they are now going to do some major reconstruction to the old Hurontario bridge supports and the existing 401 express including the road surface and barriers.

Yikes what a disaster driving westbound on the 401 near highway 10. If your in the express, take the dixie ramp that will get u to the collectors, it will move a little faster than if u stay in the express and move to the merging point of both expressways. Also I second the notion they might remove the former highway 10 brige supports too as they might be too deep into the ground to remove while live traffic. and thirdly, I think they are overdue for removing the guardrails on the express portion of the 401 at highway 10 and changing them over to the cement barrier style ontario tall wall. and adding proper paved shoulders and high mast lighting.

I am also curious when they are going to change the lanes over to the collectors for east bound traffic? maybe some day soon? or they gotta do one at a time?

wondering why the collector lanes were unpaved and left with a flat concrete bed? wouldnt it be more efficient to pave it? then open it for vehicular traffic? now they gotta close it again to pave it, paint lines and re-open it. which is one more closure than we really need. no?

Yikes what a disaster driving westbound on the 401 near highway 10. If your in the express, take the dixie ramp that will get u to the collectors, it will move a little faster than if u stay in the express and move to the merging point of both expressways.

That was my thought as well. I started in the left lane, then moved to the centre lane only to find out the left was then moving faster because of the right lane merging in before the big merge with the collectors.

I'll have to try it on Wednesday to see if it's any less frustrating.

I couldn't happen to think this morning how much is the express lanes being shutdown is affecting Ontario's economy throughout the day. The 401 westbound express lanes were a disaster between Dixie and Hurontario this morning. I feel bad for those who were/are caught up this is traffic. This could be very well the new normal for the next 6 months while they rebuild the express lanes.

There is a trick though...
1. If you're coming from Toronto in the express, get into the collectors BEFORE Dixie.
2. If you're in the collectors, stay in the 2nd right lane before Hurontario... this is the most right hand lane over the new basket weave. It moves really good compared to the other lanes.

Maybe there's a way to fix what is happening now...
1. Reduce the express lanes gradually to 2 lanes from the transfer lanes just before Dixie. Warn people that the next exit is Mississauga Rd.
2. Make the express lanes from Dixie to just past Mavis just that - express.
3. Express from Dixie to Mavis - exits are 410 south then Mississauga Rd.
4. Collectors from Dixie to Mavis - exits are Dixie, 410 north and south, Hurontario, Mavis, then merge to core lanes.
5. What this does is prevent weaving from the express to collectors, collectors to express OVER the basket weave just before Hurontario (right now the basket weave is closed below and open above to bring express/collector traffic over to the core lanes).

Thoughts?

Silly me was going to take the 401 from Mavis tonight. Unfortunately the on-ramp to the 401 eastbound was closed. One of the other ramps was closed as well.

Coming back was fine, although I did see the disaster at Hurontario that everyone is mentioning. I have to say I don't like it. Hopefully it gets better.

Silly me was going to take the 401 from Mavis tonight. Unfortunately the on-ramp to the 401 eastbound was closed. One of the other ramps was closed as well.

Coming back was fine, although I did see the disaster at Hurontario that everyone is mentioning. I have to say I don't like it. Hopefully it gets better.

Drove through it both on Friday and today. I have to say, going westbound is much more convoluted than going eastbound, at least for now. That'll probably change in a few weeks.

i drove eastbound yesterday from mavis and it was fine, no problems just yet but ill keep u posted

New photo from Asphalt Planet.ca

Looks like they pushed 4 lanes through as the collector and express lanes now converge.
401_cl_341_east_July3012_forum.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190293&page=57

They are continuing to rip up the old asphalt in the express lanes now. They have made pretty good progress and it looks like they have ripped up a little over a kilometer of road or so starting about 500m from the 410. Interesting though, why is there no concrete bed underneath the old express lanes? Did they not put concrete under the asphalt when they first built the 401, is this a new idea?

Today wasn't too bad around 3:45-4:00. I've noticed Monday and Today that traffic was much calmer from the merge back into Express through Milton than it was before. Maybe there's even fewer vehicles on the road this week than there was last week. Who knows.

Back