News   Jul 16, 2024
 205     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 340     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Bringing the GTA West corridor farther north to the Bradford Bypass seems like a potentially good option to me.
Where the current GTA West highway ends near K-V road and hwy. 400 (what I call 457), to highway 404, would turn a 15km trip (as shown in mine) into a 60 km one (via Bradford by-pass). This would be a completely different corridor.

Where the current GTA West highway ends near K-V road and hwy. 400 (what I call 457), to highway 404, would turn a 15km trip (as shown in mine) into a 60 km one (via Bradford by-pass). This would be a completely different corridor.
Yeah, a highway connecting to the Bradford Bypass would be a GTA Northwest Highway.

A Cambridge - Brantford highway could be useful too, but a super two connecting from the 8/401 interchange to Wayne Gretzky Parkway in Brantford would probably be more than enough. Maybe make plans for it to eventually be upgraded to a 400 series highway.

another little pet project I'd like to see for personal reasons is to see the Caledonia Bypass connected with 6N around the Hamilton Airport and see the long ago planned Highway 6 upgrade to at least past Hagersville. The slog down to Lake Erie on Highway 6 could be a whole lot quicker with those upgrades.

With the current animosity between certain factions within the SIx Nations it may be difficult to do either. Their initial treaty had them owning 6 miles on both sides of the Grand. There are disputes if Joseph Brant sold the land (or not) which goes to the heart of a large portion of the dispute. Regardless the previous government hurt the relationships between the various groups in this region and it would be difficult to proceed with such a large project until the relationships are normalized.

Then, extend it to connect with Innsfil, Stroud, and those areas.
I’m not sure what your proposing. Are you saying to extend the Bradford Bypass North between 400 and Lake Simcoe or are you proposing the GTA West Highway to connect to 400 west of Innisfil?

TBH, Ontario is not like the USA where you want to connect major cities/towns with 4 lane highways. It would make more sense to put highways to surround near where major development are (coming) instead of real rural highways with nothing in between.

I’m not sure what your proposing. Are you saying to extend the Bradford Bypass North between 400 and Lake Simcoe or are you proposing the GTA West Highway to connect to 400 west of Innisfil?

TBH, Ontario is not like the USA where you want to connect major cities/towns with 4 lane highways. It would make more sense to put highways to surround near where major development are (coming) instead of real rural highways with nothing in between.

The Bradford Bypass north. I got confused about what I was talking about.

I don't think the GTA West Corridor necessarily needs to be a 400 series highway, particularly when combined with a Bradford bypass. However what IS needed is one continuous road across the GTA between Major Mackenzie Dr in the South and Hwy 9 in the North. Right now there is a 20 Km gap between these two roads where there is no single road that runs continuously from the East to the West end of the region, nearly every East West road ends at some point along the way. This proposed road could simply be a Provincial highway similarly to what highway 9 is, or a 4 lane intermediate road.

Then the Bradford Bypass would become the next 400 series highway and would run West, South-West around the region to meet up with existing highways in the West.

Is this becoming a defacto Ontario Highways Fantasy Thread?
Pretty much

It doesn't need to be.....I mean the title is pretty clear it is about one proposed road in one corridor....there is a general Ontario Roads thread, and while I am loathe to turn that into a fantasy thread it would seem a general thread is more suited to that than a thread dedicated to a specific project.

Hikers now cross below the 401 on Appleby to go from Kelso to Hilton Falls conservation areas on the Bruce Trail.

I wish they'd connect the Kelso/Glen-Eden parking lot to Appleby line, the existing Tremaine-only arrangement is such a pain for users from the west.

That's not how traffic has proven to behave long-term.
Even in the context of tolling freeways? Highway 7 and Steeles appear to be the most congested arterial roads in the entire GTA.
I wish they'd connect the Kelso/Glen-Eden parking lot to Appleby line, the existing Tremaine-only arrangement is such a pain for users from the west.
It won't be as painful once the 401/Tremaine Road interchange opens in a few years.
Tremaine Interchange Development Plan.jpg

It won't be as painful once the 401/Tremaine Road interchange opens in a few years.
I was aware they were realigning Tremaine to meet James Snow near the current Dublin Line/Campbellville Road intersection - but somehow I'd missed that the relocated 401 crossing included an interchange!

That's not how traffic has proven to behave long-term.

I don't think we should crow triumphantly about traffic "disappearing" once lanes/roads are closed. That traffic may well have been people on their way to purchase goods/services or otherwise contribute to the economy. Then there's also the issue of people putting off trips to visit friends and family because their route no longer exists or is no viable - a non economic cost that's much harder to quantify than dollars and cents. I think this issue is more nuanced than the anti-car crowd make it out to be.

Back