News   Aug 23, 2024
 792     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 500     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Project team has issued a survey on navigable waterways intersected by the 413’s route:

Email from the project claims it’s been open for 30 days but they only sent out an email today, the final day.

Project team has issued a survey on navigable waterways intersected by the 413’s route:

Email from the project claims it’s been open for 30 days but they only sent out an email today, the final day.
"The survey will be available for a 30-day comment period from July 2nd to August 2nd Input and feedback will be summarized in a finalized report on the Highway 413 website."

A link to the BAYTODAY which has posted a very interesting article on the proposed 413 and related political, planning and ongoing congestion issues.

Internal Ontario government traffic forecast shows crushing gridlock ahead — even with the 413​

Just 1,200 users to realize the controversial highway’s oft-touted half-hour time savings, the government projects

A link to the BAYTODAY which has posted a very interesting article on the proposed 413 and related political, planning and ongoing congestion issues.

Internal Ontario government traffic forecast shows crushing gridlock ahead — even with the 413​

Just 1,200 users to realize the controversial highway’s oft-touted half-hour time savings, the government projects

It becomes increasingly obvious that they only solution is road tolls, no matter how much people wail about a lack of alternatives. The alternative is 15 kph gridlock.

Yes, tolls + off hours deliveries (lowered tolls) + faster public transit alternatives.
Highway expansion (413 etc) won't solve gridlock. Large transit investment won't solve gridlock. We need demand management/shaping through pricing. We need fewer people living in Ajax and working in Mississauga.

Highway expansion (413 etc) won't solve gridlock. Large transit investment won't solve gridlock. We need demand management/shaping through pricing. We need fewer people living in Ajax and working in Mississauga.
This means they might actually need a Pickering airport and a large employment area around it. It scores a big fat ZERO on the environments test through.

The government should start by letting crown employees work where they live - this means nurses, teachers, police officers, municipal workers, work in their own municipalities. Start transfer processes. Having said that, I do think the highway is needed, if not it's just going to get worse. The western GTA hasn't added much new KM of 400 series highway, despite growing by millions of (mostly brown) people in these areas. To the (mostly white) environmentalist in Toronto against this highway - I ask if you are willing to give up the Gardiner, DVP, or other closes highway to you. Where our current highways lie were also at one point nice agricultural lands, or even further back, indigenous lands. This boomer attitude of "I get to have mine (highway), but these new people don't get theirs" is problematic. Same goes for housing. Maslow's hierarchy shelter is needed before any ability to self-actualize about the environment.

Even if a new highway connecting the North and the West is needed, the adopted 413 route doesn't seem the best for that.

Feels like it should have been a westward extention of Bradford Bypass, then north of Bolton to serve Brampton from the north-west, and then connecting to the 401 somewhere between Milton and Cambridge. Better as a north-to-west bypass, and not generating more Toronto-bound trips via Hwy 400.

I'm afraid the current plan is really meant to support land development, not to improve the traffic.

The highway will serve Brampton and Milton, both have the highest % of South Asians in Ontario.

So what? People are people. I think that's irrelevant to this project.

If the 413 does get built, a new freeway connecting it to where the new Highway 7 freeway between Kitchener and Highway 6 in Guelph could be considered. This would create an alternate route to the 401- and the network could use some redundancy here when there is construction/closures.

But ya congestion is only going to get worse. All of southern Ontario is growing like a weed, and we need better transit on top of more/better roads, encourage modal shifts and WFH, as well as have delivery/trucking companies and logistics operators operate off-peak where possible.

WFH is gradually being eliminated as bosses want employees back in the office 3, 4 or even 5 days a week.

Back