1.4K     0 

Roads: Fantasy Proposals

How about this?

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 9.11.56 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 9.11.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 9.11.56 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,000
The continuation of the mid Pen should go from between Hamilton and Brantford, on 403, to between Guelph and Cambridge, on 401.

Just living in the fantasy world here, if highways 412 and 418 were extended where would you extend them to? 412 to meet 404 extension near Beaverton? 418 to Lindsay and possibly beyond?

I don't see a need for a 418 extension, Lindsay would be better served by Highway 35 upgrades.

The 412 could use a connection to Highway 12, but I don't see a need to connect it to the 404. Even the 404 running to 12 is overkill.. It is probably fine to go to Sutton only, with a 4 laning of 12 through Beaverton.

As a disclaimer, I grew up in that area (northern Durham) and am intensely aware of traffic patterns and needs.

Those highways proposed around London seem rather overkill.

If Northern Ontario was its own province, a "417" from the Soo to North Bay, via Sudbury bypass would be a full 4-lane divided highway.
The 11 should be converted to 411, but then continue on as 11 (as a 4-lane RIRO) from North bay to the Timmins/101 split.

If Northern Ontario was its own province, a "417" from the Soo to North Bay, via Sudbury bypass would be a full 4-lane divided highway.
The 11 should be converted to 411, but then continue on as 11 (as a 4-lane RIRO) from North bay to the Timmins/101 split.

Nah, if northern ontario was its own province it would struggle to fund basic services like healthcare yet alone build huge, underutilized and overbuilt freeways on a very limited taxbase. Parts of that corridor could use a freeway, but not the whole thing. A bypass around the Soo, a freeway to Espanola from Sudbury, through North Bay, and from Arnprior to Deep River, but beyond that, it would all be way overkill.

Northern Ontario would be a boom or bust province depending on the resource prices. There would be times where they would be well off... and times where things would go south. The Soo to NB 17 should be four lanes all the way - with a mix of expressway and at grade. If only there was a way to link the bridge with direct access to the highway.

Nah, if northern ontario was its own province it would struggle to fund basic services like healthcare yet alone build huge, underutilized and overbuilt freeways on a very limited taxbase. Parts of that corridor could use a freeway, but not the whole thing. A bypass around the Soo, a freeway to Espanola from Sudbury, through North Bay, and from Arnprior to Deep River, but beyond that, it would all be way overkill.

Nah. There's this thing called resources.. and the Ring of Fire. They'd be more than alright. ;)

Northern Ontario would be a boom or bust province depending on the resource prices. There would be times where they would be well off... and times where things would go south. The Soo to NB 17 should be four lanes all the way - with a mix of expressway and at grade. If only there was a way to link the bridge with direct access to the highway.

Northern Ontario has been shrinking in population for 30 years and has had flatlining economic growth for just as long, not sure how making it an independent province would suddenly change that, especially with the capital requirements needed to develop those resources.

Nah, if northern ontario was its own province it would struggle to fund basic services like healthcare yet alone build huge, underutilized and overbuilt freeways on a very limited taxbase.

If Northern Ontario were its own province, as a have not province and would receive a lot of federal transfer payments for infrastructure projects like NB did for twinning their section of the TCH.

Well, one of my biggest fantasies in general is razing a lot of the city and creating a Manhattan style near perfect grid. In my fantasies Harbord runs all the way to High Park.

Can't be mad at me for fantasizing.

I don't see a need for a 418 extension, Lindsay would be better served by Highway 35 upgrades.

The 412 could use a connection to Highway 12, but I don't see a need to connect it to the 404. Even the 404 running to 12 is overkill.. It is probably fine to go to Sutton only, with a 4 laning of 12 through Beaverton.

As a disclaimer, I grew up in that area (northern Durham) and am intensely aware of traffic patterns and needs.

412 to the 12/7A split in Port Perry would be useful, but probably still overkill.

As for extending the 404, my ultimate vision is to have the 404 connect to Highway 11 north of Orillia, going around the east side of Lake Simcoe, and have the small section of RIRO between Orillia and Bracebridge upgraded to 400-series standards. That way, the 404 would extend all the way to North Bay. The existing section of 11 between where the 404 would come in and where the 400 splits off could be renumbered 111.

Back