News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Riverdale

I'm not sure where people will end up, once they've gone through this Chinese arch/gate. At the moment it's just a parking lot, which isn't much of a destination. Perhaps there will be something else added.

I've always enjoyed Chinatown East better than Spadina. Lesser crowds, much more walkable, and better eats.

The Toronto Star message boards are being run over yet again by right wing kooks, claiming that the gate is Miller just pandering to his Riverdale lefty bastion and propping up ally Paula Fletcher... only problem, this gate has been proposed for over a DECADE! Originally the Lastman regime wanted to place it in the middle of Gerrard but couldn't due to streetcar wire obstruction. After a decade of red tape and lack of funding it'll finally be a go. Who woulda thought Miller of all people could finally seal the deal?

The stores in Chinatown East have become increasingly Vietnamese over the past ten years or so. And the restaurant scene is much quieter. The large one on the south side of Gerrard, for instance, where people once stood in line to get a table for dim sum at the weekends, has changed hands several times and is very quiet now. Jun Jun, which closed in 1999, was another busy and popular restaurant that was replaced by a supermarket.

I'm not sure what the Chinese gate will do to revive the place. Not much, I think.

Does anybody know what is going in at the South-East corner of Gough and Danforth, accross from the Starbucks? It used to be a thrift store but is not undergoing renovation. I always thought this would make a great spot for a small boutique hotel; something the neighbourhood could use. I also think the old Ellas restaurant site across Pape station would make a good site for one of these.

Does anybody know what is going in at the South-East corner of Gough and Danforth, accross from the Starbucks? It used to be a thrift store but is not undergoing renovation. I always thought this would make a great spot for a small boutique hotel; something the neighbourhood could use. I also think the old Ellas restaurant site across Pape station would make a good site for one of these.

I hope a nice Greek restaurant can move in at the Ellis site. It doesn't get as much pedestrian traffic as the restaurants along the strip, but the Palace next door seems to be doing well (also the best traditional Greek in the area, imo).

A second site that needs some much needed attention is that defunct Greek restaurant at the corner of Logan and Danforth, nextdoor to the fruit market, which has been closed for almost 15 years! I took a peek in there over a summer and it was like a time warp. Anyone know if anything is going on there? As long as it isn't another sushi/burrito/thai joint, I'll be satisfied.

Last edited:
Hmmm, like the E End counterpoint to the old deli in the Annex where BMV now is...

Yeah, that old restaurant at Logan has been closed as long as I can remember, and I've lived in the area for over twenty years. They still have napkins and salt and pepper shakers on the tables. Time warp indeed, reminds me of the Mr. Greek and Friendly Greek of old.

I've been curious as to what's happening with the old Shopper's Drug Mart/Thrift Store. They've been working away, with scaffolding surrounding the building. Not sure that the site is large enough for a boutique hotel, though.

I heard it's going to be a Mark's Work Wearhouse moving in at the former Thrift Store at Gough and Danforth. Horrible if true.

I heard it's going to be a Mark's Work Wearhouse moving in at the former Thrift Store at Gough and Danforth. Horrible if true.

Yeah, because all those latte-sipping Riverdale construction workers need their chucka-boots pronto!

If its between Mark's and the thift store, I'd take the latter.

Back