News   Apr 26, 2024
 344     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 312     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 498     0 

Riverdale

Well, at least you still chose well, as Riverdale had a good equity pop, as the hottest neighbourhood in the GTA for a while.

Ultimately, I'll still give Cabbagetown the nod strictly in the real estate investment sense at least, as it's a much smaller commodity, more centralized downtown location, and its rather unique victorian village feel.

As the east side repairs the slummy areas that isloate Cabbagetown, the one main detractor for the nabe will be gradually eliminated, and even though it may seem pricey now, will skyrocket again.

If you actually prefer Cabbagetown, perhaps now is the time to take your nice equity pop in Riverdale and find a good deal in Cabbagetown?

Don't know if I would call 18 years "flipping". Hell, I bought, reno'd and sold three places in 4 years, and I don't consider that flipping. All I'm saying is, that sometimes real estate can be a means to an end, and if it can put you where you want to be AND be a better long-term investment at the same time...why not?

You must be exhausted, poor dear. All I want to do is make jam, go to the opera, collect toby jugs, and throw nice little parties now and then. The Summer Palace is an ideal base of operations for that.

It takes a special person to live above a funeral home and raise a family too.
--------------

Born above the funeral parlour
Posted: April 08, 2008, 3:21 PM by Peter Kuitenbrouwer

My article last month about the new Shoppers going in on the Danforth prompted a flood of response from readers. Janice Feheley yesterday sent a heart-wrenching letter, which speaks volumes about what is being lost here:

"As you indicated the Ralph Day Funeral Home is gone, as is the shop next door, the garage and the gas station. There is another thing
that is gone and that is my home. I lived in an apartment on the second floor of the Ralph Day Funeral Home for 27 years. I moved there in 1980 when my husband became the manager of the funeral home. When we separated in 1986 I continued to live there. My daughter was raised there and our apartment (like any home) was filled with memories both good and bad.

"My neighbour who lived in the top floor apartment of the shop next door lived there for 30 years. Year after year he had the most beautiful roof garden. The bare earth that appears in your photo once contained a home that I loved."

We mourned the devastation caused by the fire on Queen West this winter. The devastation caused by the wrecking ball on the Danforth, clearly, has similar emotional impact.

Oh, I have no doubt is well used by the local constituency...I was refering to a more geographical sense...it certainly feels like a park...just not a neighbourhood park. Whereas with the west side, it penetrates directly into the small Cabbagetown street grid...in fact, it has a "square" feeling to it.

Though I tend to find that "square" part (i.e. the forecourt to the farm) operates more as a separate entity than as something integral to Riverdale Park...

^^

I agree. And in this case, it is advantageous for Riverdale West to be broken up into various sizes and uses. A giant open 50 acre contigeous park would just not fit into the very intimate scale of Cabbagetown.

I'm sure those magnolia's ablaze in glorious pale pink blossoms help too.

In some neighbourhoods, Toronto's real estate market is as hot as ever
Posted: April 29, 2008, 5:58 PM by Rob Roberts

With this, Leslie Roberts, the Global anchor and CFRB host, begins his regular submissions to Posted Toronto:

Who says the real estate market in Toronto is softening?

The other night, sitting in the back of my friends’ car waiting to learn whether $100,000 over asking is enough to win them a detached house in Riverdale over a dozen other bidders, I’m almost as nervous as they are.
[ Read More ]

Never like these kinds of articles...

... always make me think it's the perfect sign of the top being put in on prices. But, I thought that about the Toronto Life cover story about the house on Withrow, and that must have been 5-6 years ago now, at least.

OTOH, my RE agent, who lives in the neighbourhood, has just listed her place, with 'no firm plans'. Just taking advantage of a price spike?

There is a Notice of Public Information Update posted for Withrow Park to review the People, Dogs and Parks Strategy.

The notice says:

The current off leash area of the park has been assessed to be suitable for off leash activities.
The purpose of the meeting is to Review and fine tune the off-leash area "Conditions of Use" with respect to Withrow Park.

The meeting is Thursday, February 7th, 2008 at 7 p.m. at Frankland Community Centre @ 816 Logan Ave, south of Danforth Ave.

Comments, suggestions and ideas welcome.

If anyone is interested.

Official Launch of the People and Dogs in Parks Strategy:

GREAT DOGS, GREAT CITY! IN WITHROW PARK on SATURDAY MAY 10TH,
10 AM -1 PM

On Saturday, May 10th, please join the City of Toronto as they launch the City-wide promotion of the People, Dogs & Parks Strategy Program here in our very own Withrow Park!! This event will showcase responsible dog ownership and its’ many benefits. There will be lots of demonstrations and activities, as well as a barbeque and a “Barketplace†where you will find pet-related products and services.
Activities and demonstrations will include Herding, Dog-sport, Training and Education, Child/dog Safety, Dog-bite Prevention, Canine Good Neighbour, Canine Health and Healthy Activities for you and your dog. There will be many canine professionals and City Staff available to help answer your dog-related questions.
Confirmed speakers include Mayor David Miller and our very own Councillor Paula Fletcher, as well as surprise celebrities! This event is held in conjunction with the City of Toronto, Department of Parks and Recreation and Toronto Animal Services. Bring your dog, bring your kids, bring your neighbours!
Withrow Park is located at 725 Logan Avenue, in the Pape and Danforth area of Toronto.

Riverdale RE Redux

... always make me think it's the perfect sign of the top being put in on prices. But, I thought that about the Toronto Life cover story about the house on Withrow, and that must have been 5-6 years ago now, at least.

OTOH, my RE agent, who lives in the neighbourhood, has just listed her place, with 'no firm plans'. Just taking advantage of a price spike?

Sandra was able to get her asking price:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...509.re-riverdale-0509/REStory/RealEstate/home

Obviously, Riverdale real estate is still cookin'.

Townhouses at Logan & First -- where's the berm?

These were pretty expensive infills (site was a large hardware store before) that were sold on the premise they would be protected from the 90+ trains a day rumbling over the Logan/Dundas bridges by a berm.

Well, they're preparing the site, and they seem to have dug down about 10-15 feet and prepared a berm which goes up to track level -- not a hill that protects from train noise at all. So... the houses will be lower, and the trains will rattle by your bedroom window with great views of your naked butt.

Anybody know someone who bought in? (20 or so units.) Are they pissed, or is there a fence/barrier/hill/line of trees going in?

My furnace finally went "kaput!" last weekend. At 23, it was almost as old as FutureMayor - and had seen far more action.

Back