News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 193     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 648     0 

Riverdale

The Victoria Day fireworks in Withrow Park get better each year. Last year was the first time I'd been in ages and it was great - this year even more so.

30C in the shade... what's the best patio?

One of the issues with the Danforth is the lack of shaded patios -- most are right out in the sun. Under the willow at Allen's being one exception... the back patio at Asteria is solid for cheap Greek.

Friday night and I'm ready for some patio hopping... suggestions? Auld Spot? The coffee shops off Fenwick?

You mean, literal patio *hopping*? Sure, I'm into these parkour-type antics...

I noticed this morning the Riverdale Perk installed a lovely new patio. It was quite busy this morning. I might have to go over and check it out for lunch.
Canon%20032a.jpg

I've only been there a couple of times. I rarely even go to the two small corner stores - Lukes and Alpha - nearbye.

One or two fancy little bistros on Logan might be a nice addition, but the huge residential megablock that stretches south from the Danforth, north from Gerrard, east from Broadview and west from Carlaw works quite well without. What little retail there once was has gradually been phased out as the neighbourhood has been gentrified. The lowrise equivalent to the "ground floor retail" that high rise dwellers have to put up with, or even demand, simply doesn't seem to be a requirement here.

The street sale a couple of weeks ago wasn't particularly busy compared to how it used to be in the early to mid '90s - before people discovered eBay and digital cameras.

Movie Rentals?

Hello - a quick question for those in the know.

I used to live in Riverdale and would always rent my movies at Revue Video, which I've heard has recently(ish) closed. I don't live in the city at the moment, but I'm moving back in the summer and am considering the Danforth/Riverdale area again. But where can I go to get good movies!?

Slightly off the beaten track

Hello - a quick question for those in the know.

I used to live in Riverdale and would always rent my movies at Revue Video, which I've heard has recently(ish) closed. I don't live in the city at the moment, but I'm moving back in the summer and am considering the Danforth/Riverdale area again. But where can I go to get good movies!?

http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Toronto/Film-Buff-East/621497.html?adid=01404837

The Film Buff on Queen East. Bonus -- tasty & cheap ice cream cones.

Dusk Dances in Withrow Park was packed last night - it has been considerably more popular than Romeo and Juliet all week long, and the volume of sound rather drowns it out sometimes. What a great park it is - a wide variety of different spaces accommodating a wide variety of uses.

Whoa is us! The Chicken Little Real Estate is falling article from the G&M

Cross-posted from my Leslieville post to pad numbers... and because Ingham is really Riverdale.

I still hope this guy gets his ass handed to him (whaddya mean I need a demolition permit to tear down a house? Is that what demolition means?):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../?query=ingham

but it's hard for me to think the sky is falling when a house on Riverdale Avenue with a 1 car parking pad out front and a 10 year renovation lists at $949k and sells for $925k...

There are bound to be "pockets" like ours. According to the latest resale stats, the median E1 house price is now $405,000 compared to $395,000 a year earlier - even though the median price is down 3% in the GTA as a whole. We'll get ours too, no doubt, as the meltdown gathers momentum.

Checked out the new Shoppers Drug Mart this morning after my flu shot at the Albany. There was a greeter inside - that's a first - a pleasant young man dressed in black. Big windows and plenty of natural light, well-stocked aisles, a postal outlet that's open quite late, and more food than you can shake a stick at. Not bad at all. And permission has been granted to build the new medical clinic, just around the corner on the east side of Broadview, designed by &Co. Rendering on their site:

http://www.andco.com/

I heard a rumour about a new Liquor store locating on the lot of the former transmission shop across from the new Shoppers on Danforth. Has anyone else heard what else might be going in there?

Back