News   Apr 24, 2024
 626     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 831     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 548     0 

Riverdale

An eavesdropped conversation between local retailers in the Starbucks directly across the street confirms that it will indeed become a Mark's Work Wearhouse.

Last night a group of carollers were strolling through the neighbourhood and stopped at our house for a hearty rendition of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" and "Jingle Bell Rocks". This is the second year in a row they came by and my kids were thrilled. All they asked for was donation of non-perishable food stuffs, which we gladly provided. With a fresh blanket of snow in the park and carollers singing merrily it really brings out the Christmas spirit. Did anyone else get a visit last night?

Interesting. Where did you hear that?

I work for one of the CT-Marks pairs. There are two different owners and Marks takes away from CT's clothing revenue. CT has to have the clothing section whether there is a Marks on site or not but it is being scaled down since it barely brings in any money.

The Chinatown East gate-to-a-parking-lot is a Brutalist concrete gem at the moment.

I suppose any Chinatown looking to establish itself as a credible nabe needs one of these; they are in Chinatowns small and large worldwide. The one on Dundas street Mississauga is nicely crafted to this amateur eye. It is a gate to a parking lot too.

Riverdale Chinatown is a real gem in the rough to me. I think it's a real asset to Toronto.

I love Joe Rosenthal's statue of Sun Yat-Sen in Riverdale Park, looking a bit like Jack Layton and gazing out over Toronto - the city he so desperately wanted to visit but never did.

I love Joe Rosenthal's statue of Sun Yat-Sen in Riverdale Park, looking a bit like Jack Layton and gazing out over Toronto - the city he so desperately wanted to visit but never did.

Any White Man who knows of Sun Yat-Sen is an honourary Chinee in my book.

Welcome to the brotherhood.:D

Last edited:
Any White Man who knows of Sun Yat-Sen is an honourary Chinee in my book.

Welcome to the brotherhood.:D

I worked with a woman whose grandmother's sister was Sun Yat-Sen's second wife so presumably she was one of the Soong Sisters - Ching-ling I imagine while my friend's gran must have been Ai-ling. I loved the film "The Soong Sisters". May I join the brotherhood too please?

I worked with a woman whose grandmother's sister was Sun Yat-Sen's second wife so presumably she was one of the Soong Sisters - Ching-ling I imagine while my friend's gran must have been Ai-ling. I loved the film "The Soong Sisters". May I join the brotherhood too please?

Yes grasshopper this is good enough to join the brudderhood. Go to Mr. Tang for your Wu Shu lesson today.

Safety and security are major issues in many communities in the world today. While Toronto remains relatively safe, people are nonetheless justifiably concerned about feeling safe in their environment. Over the past few years there has been much attention in both the media and at the political level about the presumed deterioration of civil society as a potential cause of a perceived increase in violence. South Riverdale has not been immune to these discussions. In fact a recent shooting outside the Duke of York has once again raised community concerns. Yet issues of safety and security are not limited to the actual commission of violence. Rather, safety and security extend include fear, worry and concern about moving freely within ones own environment.

This 2009 focus for CINT 917 is on issues of safety and security in South Riverdale. . We will take as our starting point a recognition that community safety and security include social, spatial, environmental and health dimensions, and thus bridge natural disciplinary silos. Students will explore community realities and perceptions of safety and security through a variety of lenses and perspectives. In doing so they will engage with community members to both create dialogue, identify issues and think about solutions, build bridges by working to create community partnerships and relationships, and create community awareness about issues related to safety and security in South Riverdale. The project is intended to assist Ralph Thornton Community Centre in bringing various groups together to address issues of community concern around safety.

I start this next Wednesday through Ryerson and will post more info as it progresses.

Back