News   May 21, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 622     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 479     0 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

Is Mammo comparing himself to Hercules here? The syllogism seems to be:
1. Listening to other Councillors speak would require the strength of Hercules.
2. I, Mammo, choose not to spend too much time attending Council meetings where I would have to listen to other Councillors speak.
3. Ergo, me not Hercules.
But is the man boasting about his non-Herculean nature - and if so, why - or is he just getting tripped up by words and logic as per usual?

http://torontoist.com/2017/01/giorgio-mammoliti-worst-council-attendance/

...as someone I saw say on Twitter yesterday, Mammo would be truly dangerous if he were any good at his job.

Does Mr. Colle know that seniors are more likely to vote than most of the rest of the eligible voters?

See link.

Is it time to end discounted TTC fares for seniors?

Toronto’s transit agency can’t afford all the discounts it gives and seniors “are some of the wealthiest people in our city,” chair says.

We know that the TTC is underfunded, but hitting the senior is not the way. Toronto, Queen's Park, and Parliament Hill should be supporting the operational budget of all public transit.

It is an excellent time to end universal discounted fares for seniors. The subsidy could be used to better effect elsewhere. It should be means tested by CRA like OAS and pulled back entirely at a certain stage. So should 'free' prescription drugs for all seniors, but that is a different discussion. My mom has a great survivor pension from my Dad and receives both and requires neither.

It is an excellent time to end universal discounted fares for seniors. The subsidy could be used to better effect elsewhere. It should be means tested by CRA like OAS and pulled back entirely at a certain stage. So should 'free' prescription drugs for all seniors, but that is a different discussion. My mom has a great survivor pension from my Dad and receives both and requires neither.
While I agree that many seniors do not need cheap fares or discounts at stores or cheap drugs or ??? it seems unwise to look at these kinds of subsidy in isolation. Last year the TTC started allowing all children under 13 to travel free. Undoubtedly the same rationale applies there too. There are good arguments for having benefits 'universal' as there is far less overhead, less stigma etc etc. If the Canada Pension and OAS and child benefit provided more money then subsidies would not be needed and the well-off would, as you say, have more income to be taxed. On transit subsidies one could make an argument that ALL local public transit should be free to everyone to try to REALLY reduce car travel and pollution but subsidies, concession fares, free drugs etc etc is a HUGE discussion and one probably best in a separate thread!

Last edited:
From twitter:

More contracting out of garbage is coming. Also: deputy mayor not great at labour relations. http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2017/01/11/toronto-poised-to-expand-private-garbage-collection.html…

C16A0h9WEAA5oWr.jpg

Last edited:
From twitter:

More contracting out of garbage is coming. Also: deputy mayor not great at labour relations. http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2017/01/11/toronto-poised-to-expand-private-garbage-collection.html…

C16A0h9WEAA5oWr.jpg

DMW was twisting the Union's words. From the Metro New article: "CUPE Local 416, which represents 500 solid waste employees, has been waging a public relations campaign, called Kicked to the Curb, in an attempt to hang onto its remaining workforce." Garbage workers, taxpayers (transit riders, pedestrians, cyclists, drivers....) - sometimes I wish it were politicians being kicked to the curb.

Back