News   May 02, 2024
 86     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 64     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 117     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Timothy's at Bay & Queen is gone to make way for the new O&B restaurant. This was my favourite Timothy's with it's big low picture windows. Great place for people watching and nice view over to the City Halls.

timsqb.jpg

A new pub called The Town Crier has opened on John, just a tad north of Adelaide W. I haven't been yet, but something about its signage, attitude and selection of European beers makes me think it may be an expansion of the Village Idiot Pub (VIP) / Sin & Redemption combination up at Dundas & McCaul. I'll report more once I've tried it!

Totally off-topic but that pic by Android is a perfect illustration of Toronto's sheer incompetence with regards to streetscaping: brand new pole, next to what seems to be a completely superfluous, rusted out old one. Was there no one at Toronto Hydro who said, you know, if we can place the streetlight, traffic signage, utility and streetcar wires, and the cross walk indicator on one new pole instead of over two, the street would be just *that* much less cluttered. But no, the sixty-year old, rusting, and tilted pole stays. Ugh.

Last edited:
Toronto will wait until a few fall and kill or seriously hurt someone before they start replacing these things. Like the metal plates causing electrocutions, it will take something bad to cause any kind of action. There is not enough civic pride in Toronto. *sigh*

Come on everyone knows the more poles (and clutter) you have, the more "character" your city has...

Totally off-topic but that pic by Android is a perfect illustration of Toronto's sheer incompetence with regards to streetscaping: brand new pole, next to what seems to be a completely superfluous, rusted out old one. Was there no one at Toronto Hydro who said, you know, if we can place the streetlight, traffic signage, utility and streetcar wires, and the cross walk indicator on one new pole instead of over two, the street would be just *that* much less cluttered. But no, the sixty-year old, rusting, and tilted pole stays. Ugh.

Give it some time and the old pole will be gone. Those poles with the distinctive tapered shape (wide at the bottom with a number of "setbacks" as it gets closer to the top) are owned by the TTC, not Toronto Hydro, as their primary purpose is to support streetcar wires and carry traction power cables, and they are slowly being replaced. The process to do so is ridiculously slow, however, and the way it works is that each agency that currently uses the old pole needs to individually transfer their wires/equipment/signs to the new pole as the TTC won't do it for them. So eventually, when each agency gets around to it and moves their equipment, the pole will be ready to be removed, which will also likely take a long time for the TTCs pole removal contractor to get around to.

Charbucks?? Ugh. They closed a great Second Cup to put a Tim Hortons in this building and now a Charbucks is going in. Where? The Hair Salon? or maybe where the variety store is on the Northeast corner on Bloor. Unless Pizza Manna is closing there is no other spot

I'm not sure where it's going either but sometimes what they do is build one in a part of the lobby if there's enough space. They probably saw how insanely busy the Tim Horton's was and decided they wanted a piece of the action.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. The building on the southeast corner of Queen/Yonge has just such an arrangement. A tiny Charbucks(I have to call it that because my best friend owns 2 Second Cups<full disclosure>and says their coffee has a strong burnt taste and more importantly they are not Canadian like Second Cup) anyway a tiny Charbucks just inside the Queen entrance built into the lobby. As a strict tea drinker I've become addicted to Tim Horton's steeped tea. There were 23 people in line ahead of me on Wed. from where I could see. The line went into the vestibule area down to the elevators. Then again that is common at Tim's. Accepting debit does slow the line down.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. The building on the southeast corner of Queen/Yonge has just such an arrangement. A tiny Charbucks(I have to call it that because my best friend owns 2 Second Cups<full disclosure>and says their coffee has a strong burnt taste and more importantly they are not Canadian like Second Cup) anyway a tiny Charbucks just inside the Queen entrance built into the lobby. As a strict tea drinker I've become addicted to Tim Horton's steeped tea. There were 23 people in line ahead of me on Wed. from where I could see. The line went into the vestibule area down to the elevators. Then again that is common at Tim's. Accepting debit does slow the line down.

You want to see astounding lineups? Check out the Timmy's on the lower level of Union station during morning rush. It's a relatively recent addition there, and this morning the line was almost back to the Purdy's--probably 40-50 people there.

Back