News   May 16, 2024
 568     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 773     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 588     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

^ I hope they put in this building and build a nice big patio while they're at it. University Ave. is conducive to lots of restaurants with big patios but really has nothing.

That building, which I think is 200 University, is a bit of an institutional grade, class B, office building which is probably not very suited for a "name" resto....besides, since the owners of Shangri-La are not in the business of making money for the owners of other buildings, I think they will be happy to put the resto in the building that they own/are buidling rather in one owned by (I think) GWL.

When the quote says "in a building next to the Shangri-La Hotel in Toronto" I took that to mean the old "heritage" building that was at the corner of Simcoe and Adelaide before the construction started and which, I believe, has to be re-erected as part of the project...it was two stories (IIRC) and would, technically, be "next to Shangri-La".

The only thing is that grade B building is in a great spot ... it's 'restaurant' space at ground level has been for lease for a very long time (maybe 2/3+ years now ?). I say great spot as it adjacent to Queen.

The only thing is that grade B building is in a great spot ... it's 'restaurant' space at ground level has been for lease for a very long time (maybe 2/3+ years now ?). I say great spot as it adjacent to Queen.

I think the fact that the restaurant space has been for lease for "2/3+ years now" is an indication of what the market thinks of that location as a restaurant.......ask yourself how many restaurants have opened during that timeframe and, yet, that space is still available!

All that aside, if the space they are talking about for these high profile spots is that old building (once it reappears) it will have the advantage of being attached to the hotel/condos at Shangri-La.

Taal - you're confusing the for lease sign which is at 250 University (right at the corner of Queen) and the building adjacent to Shangri La which was posted on the previous page. There are two different buildings and I'd assume that Shangri La would want their star chef actually in their hotel!

If its suitable for a restaurant - i'd venture to say yes - Nota Bene does pretty good business at the base of their office tower...

Remember, too, that said B-grader is heritage (Parkin, 1961), which may play a factor in how its space is used...

Taal - you're confusing the for lease sign which is at 250 University (right at the corner of Queen) and the building adjacent to Shangri La which was posted on the previous page. There are two different buildings and I'd assume that Shangri La would want their star chef actually in their hotel!

If its suitable for a restaurant - i'd venture to say yes - Nota Bene does pretty good business at the base of their office tower...

Ah, right, sorry about that. But I don't think '200' has any space for lease (resturant space that is).

The point regarding '250' sitting empty for so many years is a good point ... I think the real problem is the space doesn't front Queen at all now that I think about it - actually is it inside the building it self with no street frontage whatsoever ?

When the quote says "in a building next to the Shangri-La Hotel in Toronto" I took that to mean the old "heritage" building that was at the corner of Simcoe and Adelaide before the construction started and which, I believe, has to be re-erected as part of the project...it was two stories (IIRC) and would, technically, be "next to Shangri-La".

That would be the Bishop's Block building. Not sure whether this is what is being referenced. Anyone know where exactly they plan to re-erect it? I've been watching the Shangri-La development to see where they're going to put it for some time now and haven't quite figured it out, but then I haven't seen plans, either.

That would be the Bishop's Block building. Not sure whether this is what is being referenced. Anyone know where exactly they plan to re-erect it? I've been watching the Shangri-La development to see where they're going to put it for some time now and haven't quite figured it out, but then I haven't seen plans, either.

I thought it was gonna go back up at the southwest corner of the sight...wrapping the corner of the development....haven't looked there in a while to see if that is even possible but it sorta defeats the heritage retention aspect if the building goes anywhere else....no?

EDIT this article in spacing indicates it will go back in its original location.......

http://spacingtoronto.ca/2008/02/12/razing-bishops-block-to-save-it/

Last edited:
Uh, it's already there. It's been there for quite awhile now. Not really many pictures of it because most of it is still wrapped in tarps, but you can see the masonry through the hoarding

Uh, it's already there. It's been there for quite awhile now. Not really many pictures of it because most of it is still wrapped in tarps, but you can see the masonry through the hoarding

That explains it. I've mostly driven by and not gotten good glances at that part of the project. Once the weather gets a little better, I'll have to wander by--I took a couple of photographs before it came down.

Salad King opens up next Tuesday.

First visit of new location = Thumbs up! They've retained the look and the menu, but it's cleaner. Still busy as hell but thank god it's back! The communal benches are back but with convenient mesh grids to drop bags, purses, coats underseat. They appear to have hired a really upbeat/positive staff - despite the mayhem all were good natured and polite. Food is the same.

Went to Movenpick Marche for dinner. Really impressed. There was a line to get in, and a line to get out. Mad busy! Thoroughly enjoyed the rosti, fried calamari, chicken stir-fry, and the two desserts we shared. Banana cream pie with cake in the middle, and tiramisu.
I take this back. Went last night again, and the experience was awful and overpriced. Doubtful I'll ever return.

Back