News   Apr 25, 2024
 55     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

It amazes me that so many good restaurants struggle or shut down after a few years, yet that mediocre place manages to keep going for DECADES. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another restaurant familiar to me that's still open in its original location from when I was a kid in the 80's.

The interior is a novelty.

They're rather kid-friendly.

The other thing I would say about them is while the food quality ain't great, the price point has historically been quite low.

It's gone up in recent years.

But as recently as 7 or 8 years ago, you were still looking at plate of pasta, soup/salad, tea/coffee and ice cream for under $12 , it's $17 now.

I was at the spaghetti factory a few years ago, i kind of like the old school quirky decor, but I try avoid kid-friendly restaurants as much as possible. I can't stand being around unruly children.

I was at the spaghetti factory a few years ago, i kind of like the old school quirky decor, but I try avoid kid-friendly restaurants as much as possible. I can't stand being around unruly children.
It is actually surprisingly nice and the food much better (and cheaper) than I had expected. To avoid too many kids go in the evening!

It amazes me that so many good restaurants struggle or shut down after a few years, yet that mediocre place manages to keep going for DECADES. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another restaurant familiar to me that's still open in its original location from when I was a kid in the 80's.

It's from the 90's, not the 80's, but I am amazed the HotHouse is still at its same location 25+ years later (website says established in 1994,) and still going with its 'something for everyone' menu where you can have General Tso's Chicken, Coq Au Vin, Jambalaya, and Thai Noodles, all served to different people the same table.

It's from the 90's, not the 80's, but I am amazed the HotHouse is still at its same location 25+ years later (website says established in 1994,) and still going with its 'something for everyone' menu where you can have General Tso's Chicken, Coq Au Vin, Jambalaya, and Thai Noodles, all served to different people the same table.

I've never been to it, but I could swear that Hot House was already there in the 80's...

The Hot House ownership changed about a year ago as Andrew Laffey wanted a less hectic life so a few things have changed but it remains a very reliable and reasonable place! I have had several very good meals there and lots that were 'one's moneys worth'. None bad!

I've never been to it, but I could swear that Hot House was already there in the 80's...
hh.jpg

You should try it!

Dzo Vietnamese Eatery is opening in March 2020, and replaces the former Lucca Ristorante at 308 Dundas St W, beside the Village Genius Pub just west of McCaul.

Buena Copa, from the same group behind Good Hombres and Campechano, has opened at 460 College Street just west of Bathurst.

The Wheatsheaf is returning as a sports bar and music venue

Toronto's oldest bar will now feature a permanent stage for live bands throughout the week. It reopens on St. Patrick's Day with performances by members of Blue Rodeo and The Beauties.

By NOW Staff
February 26, 2020

The Wheat Sheaf, Toronto's oldest bar, is about to reopen after a restoration.

The bar, now spacelessly rebranded Wheatsheaf Tavern, will reopen under the management of Scale Hospitality – the people behind King West bistro Lapinou – on March 17 with a St. Patrick's Day bash.

The new renovation will feature some details from the original, which was established in 1849 – including the signature tin ceiling and exposed brick – in addition to a brand-new permanent stage and leather booths.

Back