News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 455     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Put a Tim Horton's in The Village and I'll be happy! Nothing beats Tim Horton's Ice Cappachino.

The Village as in Forest Hill Village (aka "The Ville")? Wouldn't that just add to the competition? BSS girls and UCC boys have been happy with Starbucks and Second Cup for well over a decade (at least we liked it when *I* was there.....a decade ago. Maybe the novelty has worn off since then).

A new Tim Horton's will be opening at Bloor & Church. I guess the Second Cup next door saw the writing on the wall because they closed and will be replaced by a Sushi joint.

That place will make a killing there. As a Tim's shareholder I approve of this move very highly.

The interesting thing about that Second Cup is...wasn't the Second Cup HQ in that building?

Here's some new restaurants open/opening on Queen West, and some closing.

It's been open awhile, but I finally noticed this place--is it any good? Sort of sad they destroyed the facade with all the crappy signage--looks more like an 1980's job on Yonge Street.

dsc00383k.jpg

Another burger shop--isn't this fad a tad overdone in Toronto?

dsc00382y.jpg

Ukrainian dive bar holdout west of Bathurst finally calls its quits! Whew!

dsc00377eq.jpg

Since coming back from California/Oregon this past summer, I've noticed tons of Mexican restaurants are opening across Toronto--from St Clair West to K-Market to Queen West of Bathurst here:

dsc00306z.jpg

(I still love old school La Hacienda's burritos across the street--had one yesterday and was still impressed by them.:))

A future cafe here? Appliances finally calling it quits on this corner--again, wow!

dsc00308f.jpg

The old thai place beside Bar_One has morphed into a cheap burger joint--I'm gonna try one of these someday, wonder how a .99 cent burger will taste here?

dsc00312e.jpg

Just in time for flu/soup season, the soup nazi has left the building! (I always thought this area was the wrong location for such a business, especially when the woman's soups weren't that impressive and in fact rather expensive for the amount you got.)

dsc00327w.jpg

Since coming back from California/Oregon this past summer, I've noticed tons of Mexican restaurants are opening across Toronto--from St Clair West to K-Market to Queen West of Bathurst

A very welcome change. It's strange that a city like Toronto has so few Mexican restaurant options.

A very welcome change. It's strange that a city like Toronto has so few Mexican restaurant options.

No doubt. Lots of places to buy stuff to make authentic Mexican but very few (decent) places to actually eat Mexican food.

Typed while making Conchita Pibil for a dinner party tonight, made of obscure (to me at least) stuff sourced within a 15 minute walk of my place.

Now if we could only get decent tequila and Mexican beer in Ontario I'd be a happy guy.

^You can.

Along St Clair West, I counted over 20 Mexican restaurants, at least half of which have just opened in the past 6 months, some of which are opening soon.

Iirc, Mexicans are bypassing USA and heading to the GTA in record numbers these past few years. I expect LCBO buyers to take note.

On Saturday I found myself staring at another new restaurant coming to the Augusta/K-Market/Little Latin America strip:

dsc00459s.jpg

Last edited:
Long time Bay & Gerrard coffee shop Java Joe is now Tower Burger.

Semper fi, old friend... I believe that was the very first coffee shop I ever went into when I moved to Toronto in 2003. The owner was a very nice guy, but it never looked very busy.

Back