News   Apr 26, 2024
 234     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 474     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Renaissance Condos (Brampton Downtown, Alterra, 27s, KNY Architects)

A visited on Feb 01-10

IMG_feb-01-10-0111.jpg

IMG_feb-01-10-0100.jpg

IMG_feb-01-10-0119.jpg

I'm liking this building for the fact this is a non-box glass tower ... the curved/bow windows are a nice touch ~

It's still a box. I'm always amused by those that imply everything being built in Toronto is exclusively right angles. Page + Steele own our waterfront and it's exceedingly rare for one of their projects not to incorporate some curved wall.

The podium will fit in with much of the neighbourhood, most of the dt structures are having their facades renovated.

The podium will fit in with much of the neighbourhood, most of the dt structures are having their facades renovated.

It doesn't look like it's fitting in with that neighbouring three storey glass clad structure at Queen Street. Its cheesy beige and white precast podium doesn't fit in with the more intricate Victorian brick facades in the area either.

Last edited:
The podium is very unfortunate, but the tower is turning out to be somewhat better than adequate. I understand the reasons why the podium is the way it is (above-ground parking necessary as the tower sits on the old bed of Etobicoke Creek), and I think DT Brampton is much better for it being built. Stuck on George Street, it doesn't have to blend in with the old retail and commercial buildings on Main and Queen. Though Park Place is more exciting (even though it is a box), and I think Blade, when built, will also be a better product.

Look at MCC - it suffered some horrible condos in the 1990s and early last decade, and only the most recent crop is interesting.

The glass on this one is pretty good! The building though... well it's not as bad as I thought it would be, but that podium is definitely gross.

Quite nasty overall. Looks like the developers were inspired by some of the crap seen in downtown Hamilton/Kitchener/London. Park Place is a much better model to follow.

Strange that you say that considering Kitchener/Waterloo doesnt' have any modern glass condo like that one in either city core, Uptown or Downtown. The one recent large condo to go up in Waterloo is the Bauer buildings, which is a brick slab/loft-style building, not a glass tower.

Strange that you say that considering Kitchener/Waterloo doesnt' have any modern glass condo like that one in either city core, Uptown or Downtown. The one recent large condo to go up in Waterloo is the Bauer buildings, which is a brick slab/loft-style building, not a glass tower.
As in London

Took some pics today.

Attachments

• HPIM2734.jpg
    HPIM2734.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 258
  • HPIM2736.jpg
    HPIM2736.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 251
  • HPIM2738.jpg
    HPIM2738.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 242