News   Apr 26, 2024
 529     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 

Renaissance Condos (Brampton Downtown, Alterra, 27s, KNY Architects)

T

thenay

108966-43453.jpg

Brampton councillors have said 'yes' to a 27-storey condominium to be built on George Street in the downtown core, a decision that will kick-start a downtown "revolution", according to some.

At 27 storeys, the building will be tallest in the downtown, visible from a distance.

The approval is the first in a move toward intensification downtown that could see as many as seven highrises built in and around the area, bringing in thousands more residents.

The George Street project still has to go through site plan approval, but councillors gave it the go-ahead at Monday nights' Planning, Design & Development Committee meeting.

The project is reportedly almost sold out, but one more big hurdle still exists: The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority could put a halt to this and some of the other buildings in the area because of new, stricter flood control criteria. The city has been working hard to solve the issue, and Moore said they are close to a solution.

It hasn't happened overnight, though. City staff only supported a 20-storey building on the site, which is the "as-of-right" height for a building in the downtown. It was up to the politicians to be convinced that 27 storeys would work. The original design of the building did not meet with council's approval. Fennell praised area Councillors Grant Gibson and Moore for spending many hours over several months with the developer, Alterra-Finer Ltd., negotiating changes that would make the building look more appealing.

Boy is this a major improvement over the original design, which was downright grotesque. Congratulations to Brampton for working out something better.

Downtown Brampton was largely a dead zone for so long. With the new arts centre, the condos on Belvedere Court, and several others in the works, we have big positive changes taking place.

The project is reportedly almost sold out, but one more big hurdle still exists: The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority could put a halt to this and some of the other buildings in the area because of new, stricter flood control criteria.

Almost sold out? That does surprise me, but it shows that yes, there is hope for downtown Brampton. Now if only GO provided proper service....

As for the TRCA, that's interesting. Downtown Brampton is entirely in a historical floodplain. It's funny, because every spring, Etobicoke Creek (which used to run through the core, under buildings) would of course, swell and flood. After a bad flood in 1948, they moved the creek - just in time before Hurricane Hazel. But it hasn't flooded since, so why this is a concern, I don't know.

Didnt know that a 27 storey building is considered a skyscraper?

In Brampton, it would be amongst the tallest buildings in the city (I think that some of the slabs and point towers around BCC are as tall or taller), and the tallest in the downtown area. I'm glad that the new renderings do look nicer - I guess the extra height does allow for a nicer look.

The area's changing quick - the "Landmarq" (ugh) is now above ground level - the design is adequate, but at least has retail, and with the new theatre and the Peel housing tower, could give rise to a decent urban, mixed use, mixed income area.

Looks like the stuff built at South Common Mall & along hwy 10.

Exactly - it's all relative. There are likely a long list of cities in this country whose tallest building is less than 27 stories.

Hmm, it might be interesting to create a list of the tallest buildings found in cities from sea to shining sea...

"Didnt know that a 27 storey building is considered a skyscraper?"

There is no definitive definition of a skyscraper. I've heard ten stories is the minimum, but a more reasonable measure in this day and age is perhaps 150 meters (492.12 feet) or more.

Can anyone post a render of the original design of this building? Would be nice to compare. As is its not bad, for Brampton anyway.

Last time I was through (last weekend), it looked like the temporary GO lot was being closed off and some light work taking place on the George St site. I actually expect this project to start soon.

I plan to go sometime in May to do a photo thread of the area.

Construction is beginning

Brampton’s Renaissance condo clears hurdles
DAN O’REILLY
Feb. 1, 2008

Complying with flood-plain rules results in one-year delay and extra $1 million in costs

Construction was set back a year and an additional $1 million investment was required for architectural and structural design revisions to comply with stricter flood plain regulations, but site work for the erection of downtown Brampton’s first condominium in several years is now in full swing.

To be located on a one-acre site on George Street, within eyesight of the City of Brampton’s administration building, the 27-storey Renaissance is expected to kick-start a major revitalization of the historic downtown at the juncture of Main and Wellington streets.

Scheduled for completion by early 2009, the tower will provide an affordable alternative to Brampton’s predominately low-rise market and comply with provincial and city intensification policies for its downtown, says Robert Cooper, president of the Alterra Group, the Toronto-based developer/builder.

Designed by Burlington-based KNY Architects Inc. with structural design by Kalishenko Leonard & Associates Ltd., the project will consist of a stepped-back tower, and a podium with 4,800 square feet of retail space at ground level, parking on four levels and two floors of lofts.

An official opening ceremony for the condominium was held in December. But getting to that point was not an easy process, says Cooper.

“We were well received,†says Cooper in a reference to the original municipal approvals it obtained a few years ago. Within a few months of the project’s grand opening in the spring of 2005 approximately 130 units were sold.

Shortly after that, however, Alterra had to go back to the drawing board after learning conservation officials were placing a much stricter emphasis on provincial flood-protection policies. As downtown Brampton is in a floodplain, the construction timetable for the Renaissance project got derailed.

“We has just finished the design and were starting the working drawings,†says Alterra architectural designer technician Sara Vanderwal, who was working for the architects at the time.

Alterra convinced Toronto Region Conservation officials the tower would meet regulatory flood plain controls with design changes that included raising the elevation three feet, relocating major electrical and mechanical equipment to the second floor, plus removing a planned second underground parking garage door and other ground flooring openings.

The second door had been intended for garbage trucks, which will now enter the building through the main entrance. A column in the garage drawings had to be removed and replaced with a transfer beam, Vanderwal points out.

While the residential component of the building starts at 9.5 feet above grade, a major requirement was an unhindered entranceway for emergency personnel at all times.

Fortunately, the building site abuts a property that’s above the flood plain level and Alterra was able to negotiate a deal with the owner, the Anglican Church, to permit access should such an event occur, says Vanderwal.

“We had to reconfigure the stair well [in the drawings] and will have to build up the grade at that area.â€

That won’t happen until much later in the construction schedule, says Alterra site superintendent Steve Matijasic. Some of the work to date has included the installation of approximately 200 concrete caissons around the perimeter of the site, plus tiebacks and lagging.

“We need this freezing,†says Matijasic, who recently was anxiously waiting for a cold snap up to remove about 200 loads of excavated soil.

With one snowstorm in December, a second one New Year’s Day, followed by the traditional January thaw and rain, the fill was too wet to remove. Dump sites were also closed over the Christmas holidays, he says.

Construction of the footings will probably begin in about eight weeks, with concrete work from the foundation to the roof expected to take 16 to 18 months. The largest and most complicated component of the project will be the parking garage, which consists of two levels of underground parking and the four above-ground levels. There are numerous columns and beams to install, says Matijasic.

“Once we get to the sixth floor [where the tower starts] we’ll be doing a typical floor a week.â€

The overall project will take about 25 months to complete, says Matijasic.

End Date

I was wondering when the construction for the renaissance condo would be finished they told my mom next december which i hope isn't the case. I just want to know what you guys have heard?

Back