News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 825     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Redpath Co-generation Gas Plant (Queens Quay East)

Lots of people scream "save the environment" but refuse to look at their own lifestyles. A huge disconnect here. And blind spot.

I don't know...a lot of people I know look only at their own lifestyles. People think that their becoming a vegetarian or biking to work will save the world. It won't. We need broad, sustained, concerted, and global governmental action if we are going to make any difference in our environmental impact. I know people who become freegans thinking how great it is for the environment and then can't be bothered to cast a vote for environmentally-friendly policies that could actually effect real change.

^I take it you mean voting for political parties that make promises of enacting those environment-friendly reforms. While great in principle, all the party platforms in Canada have a lot more on them than just environmental issues (including the Greens) so for virtually all voters there are many things to take into account besides just supporting the party most perceived to be mindful of the environment. And honestly, what do you think has a bigger impact.. 34 million people each using less A/C, better modes of transportation, etc or the government putting up a few windmills?

But more related to this actual thread, if this is blocked by NIMBYism (which I'm sure will be out in full force) it'll just really really piss me off. Not withstanding the actual merits of the project which are quite evident, it just reinforces my view that the majority (or the rich ones anyways) of Torontonians really do consider themselves superior in a way to smaller communities throughout Ontario. I moved here only a year ago and many people I've met are strongly in favor of renewable or cleaner energy (as am I), but it baffles me that they see no reason for them to carry any of the burden of generating this electricity... ridiculous when the city consumes so much of it. In the small town in Southwestern Ontario where I grew up, this are no fewer than 100 new windmills within a few kilometers of my parents house. And that's fine, I realize if I'm going to surf (Urbantoronto.ca) on my laptop and carry around a Blackberry that the (cleaner) electricity has got to come from somewhere. But Toronto refuses to do its part... Kill the windmills way off the Scarborough bluffs because they "ruin" your view, kill the gas fired plant in Oakville and now battle the newer proposal near Missisauga. I'm all too certain this project will fall too.
Suppose this is probably true of people in most big cities around the world. They want to have their cake and to eat it too.
/rant off

Kill the windmills way off the Scarborough bluffs because they "ruin" your view, kill the gas fired plant in Oakville and now battle the newer proposal near Missisauga. I'm all too certain this project will fall too.
Suppose this is probably true of people in most big cities around the world. They want to have their cake and to eat it too.
/rant off

And what do Torontonians have to do with killing off a plant in Oakville and Mississauga?

This plan better get accepted. The good part is, there's not that many residents there now. Which is why this plan must get approved and move fast.

And what do Torontonians have to do with killing off a plant in Oakville and Mississauga?

This plan better get accepted. The good part is, there's not that many residents there now. Which is why this plan must get approved and move fast.

I've never met a power plant that doesn't have some NIMBY say build it somewhere else. Given this is a private operator, if they're smart, they'll come out with a render that shows a smooth face to Waterlink, no taller than Waterlink's smooth wall facing the molasses maker (whether it's reality or not.) Wave it around for a month saying, "see? You won't even notice!" Then slip Ford a campaign contribution and build.

I've never met a power plant that doesn't have some NIMBY say build it somewhere else.

I completely agree.

However, this...:

"it just reinforces my view that the majority (or the rich ones anyways) of Torontonians really do consider themselves superior in a way to smaller communities throughout Ontario. I moved here only a year ago and many people I've met are strongly in favor of renewable or cleaner energy (as am I), but it baffles me that they see no reason for them to carry any of the burden of generating this electricity... ridiculous when the city consumes so much of it. In the small town in Southwestern Ontario where I grew up, this are no fewer than 100 new windmills within a few kilometers of my parents house. And that's fine, I realize if I'm going to surf (Urbantoronto.ca) on my laptop and carry around a Blackberry that the (cleaner) electricity has got to come from somewhere. But Toronto refuses to do its part... Kill the windmills way off the Scarborough bluffs because they "ruin" your view, kill the gas fired plant in Oakville and now battle the newer proposal near Missisauga. I'm all too certain this project will fall too."

makes absolutely no sense.
What does Toronto have to do with Mississauga and Oakville? Has all of Southern Ontario amalgamated over the last 2 days?
What large city doesn't have people who would protest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional use for steam

Though unlikely, I would love to see excess steam used to create thermal baths along the waterfront, for example at Portland Slip and Parliament Slip.

photo-iceland-d-001.3.jpg

More info from DCN...http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/...61dd3e7dde49&projectid=9140467&region=ontario

COGENERATION PROJECT
Proj: 9140467-2
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
CONTEMPLATED
Redpath Sugar Refinery - Queens Quay E, M5E 1L7
$103,000,000 est
Note:
Owner has submitted a formal bid to the Ontario Power Authority. Schedules for design, tender, and construction will be determined pending approvals. Further update spring 2012.
Project:
proposed construction of a gas-fired cogeneration plant. This facility will produce 45-megawatts and is located on Redpath Sugar's 4.25-hectare refinery site.
Scope:
2 storeys; 4 hectares
Development:..Engineering
Category:...Elect power, building; Elect power, engineering

I'd wish it is a little bit more ambitious and have it turned into a district heating plant for the surrounding area.

AoD
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. There is currently the ugly temporary plant in front of Corus and I'm not sure it's large enough to support George Brown as well. In addition, I would think a 45mw plant is large enough to provide steam for Redpath as well as the waterfront DE system. The only question is where to put the chillers for the summer cooling requirements.

Mo-tage:

Maybe, but I thought WT has other locations in mind for the EBF district plant. As to chillers - well, too bad it isn't hooked up to the Enwave cooling system.

AoD

Mo-tage:

Maybe, but I thought WT has other locations in mind for the EBF district plant. As to chillers - well, too bad it isn't hooked up to the Enwave cooling system.

AoD

I was thinking the same thing -- and maybe Northland is, too. If I was their lead sales engineer, I'd definitely be cold calling WT and putting out feelers to Enwave.

RRR:

I am not sure how much unsubscribed cooling load there is left in the deep water cooling system - it was significantly limited compared to the original scheme back in the what, 60s

AoD

I don't know what overhead the enwave system has, but connecting East Bay Front to the existing Enwave system would require a pretty long and expensive pipe.

In terms of where the heating/cooling plant is going, I've heard of a few different schemes, including Redpath, basement of another building, facility in a park. I have no idea what the plans are currently. But it always made sense to me to tie it into something at Redpath.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. There is currently the ugly temporary plant in front of Corus and I'm not sure it's large enough to support George Brown as well. In addition, I would think a 45mw plant is large enough to provide steam for Redpath as well as the waterfront DE system. The only question is where to put the chillers for the summer cooling requirements.

This temporary plant is being relocated into the basement of the GBC building.

Back