News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 743     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Redpath Co-generation Gas Plant (Queens Quay East)

Why not just stick the darn thing out beside the gas plant at Hearn?

Because it's a cogeneration plant - the steam it generates, which would otherwise be wasted, instead gets shunted to Redpath for use in their operations. I guess if the plant was over by the Hearn they couldn't do that?

Anyway, I think it's an interesting idea. It's an industrial block anyway. May as well get as wide a variety of uses in there if you can.

Here is the first permit application (actually a Zoning Review) for the co-generation plant at Redpath Sugar. Note to Mods: Maybe we need a new thread for this project?

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1A3

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 239448 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jul 15, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: permit to construct new operation facility for a 45 mw heat and power facility.

Well, maybe they could do something fun with the smokestack:

smokestack2.jpg

Last edited:
I think the idea makes perfect sense. This is simply making the existing process more efficient. Why create steam to only make sugar and loose a lot of energy which could have made electricity or vice-versa? I would imagine the existing smoke stack on the site is used for similar purpose without the benefit of generating electricity. I wonder if the existing stack would come down.

Natural gas electrical plants are both clean and relatively safe. People talk about the pollution but then have gas stove tops boiling water inside an enclosed kitchen and don't think twice about it. There is a risk of an explosion but the same risk exists wherever natural gas is used, like strip malls in Etobicoke for example.

I think the idea makes perfect sense. This is simply making the existing process more efficient. Why create steam to only make sugar and loose a lot of energy which could have made electricity or vice-versa? I would imagine the existing smoke stack on the site is used for similar purpose without the benefit of generating electricity.

Actually there is currently a small steam turbine driven generator inside the plant. The high-pressure steam from a boiler is expanded through the turbine before being used as process steam.

I think the idea makes perfect sense. This is simply making the existing process more efficient. Why create steam to only make sugar and loose a lot of energy which could have made electricity or vice-versa? I would imagine the existing smoke stack on the site is used for similar purpose without the benefit of generating electricity. I wonder if the existing stack would come down.

Natural gas electrical plants are both clean and relatively safe. People talk about the pollution but then have gas stove tops boiling water inside an enclosed kitchen and don't think twice about it. There is a risk of an explosion but the same risk exists wherever natural gas is used, like strip malls in Etobicoke for example.

Lots of people scream "save the environment" but refuse to look at their own lifestyles. A huge disconnect here. And blind spot.

Most of us don't think of the need and use for oil, coal and nuclear that are required to generate our electricity and provide fuel for our transportation and agriculture. We're a energy intense society. No one wants to give up what they have to power down to environmental "friendly" levels. When someone suggests a windmill for example, people come out in mobs to protest on the grounds of "esthetics".

Sadly, most of us are going to be dragged kicking and screaming as our standard of living and society is downgraded.

Last edited:
Sadly, most of us are going to be dragged kicking and screaming as our standard of living and society is downgraded.

In terms of a co-generation plant where the production of sugar already employs a boiler this means what? You see this as a downgrade since electricity is produced and we should be consuming less electricity, or you see the creation of this as better than coal and oil and the fact it is co-generation and wastes less makes this a good fit? I can' t figure out where you stand from your post.

Back