Owner(s): CANADIAN BROADCASTING
CORPORATION [
Ward: Trinity-Spadina (20)
Agent: MARK NOSKIEWICZ
GOODMANS LLP
Property Address: 230 FRONT ST W Community:
Legal Description: PLAN 66M 2248 PT BLK 1 RP66R 15457 PART 1

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
The site is located at the north-west corner of the block ("the Broadcast Block") bounded by Wellington Street
West to the north, Front Street West to the south, Simcoe Street to the east, and John Street to the west. The
applicant is seeking relief from the provisions of Zoning By-law 438-86, as amended, and Site Specific By-law
637-88 to construct on the site a 41 storey office tower with ground level retail and service uses located within a
10 storey podium base.

REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:

1. The by-law requires that the combined non-residential gross floor area and residential gross floor area
be not more than 366,010.1 square metres. The proposed buildings will have approximately 369,021.0
square metres of combined non-residential gross floor area and residential gross floor area.

AoD

Re: 43 storey RBC office tower to start construction in July

That was my favorite parking lot. I'm going to miss it. R.I.P.

Re: Cadillac Fairview tower to end Toronto dry spell

Don't worry, there are two new, large parking lots a bit to the west, on the 550 Wellington lot, and the one where Artword Theatre used to be.

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
The site is located at the north-west corner of the block ("the Broadcast Block") bounded by Wellington Street
West to the north, Front Street West to the south, Simcoe Street to the east, and John Street to the west. The
applicant is seeking relief from the provisions of Zoning By-law 438-86, as amended, and Site Specific By-law
637-88 to construct on the site a 41 storey office tower with ground level retail and service uses located within a
10 storey podium base.

Okay, it can read as though the total height has gone down from 43 storeys to 41, or up to 51 (41+podium). It seems to indicate the former.

Re: Cadillac Fairview tower to end Toronto dry spell

boiler - I don't expect either of those parking lots to exist for too many moons, and I think the artword's lot already has a sales office being built on it for the Starck condo, n'est-ce pas?

SGM - I agree, it would appear to be the former. We received a notice of address change at MapArt today that stated the same 41 and 10 storey figures. The rendering of the project can be construed as a 41 storey tower, but the podium only reads as 9, so it would appear that tinkering continues...

That was my favorite parking lot. I'm going to miss it. R.I.P.

I'll actually miss it too. Before I moved to Toronto, I'd always park there during day trips.

It will live on in pictures--and in movies. The parking scene with the car stunt, "find a spot, d*ckhead!" at the beginning of Police Academy was filmed there.

1. The by-law requires that the combined non-residential gross floor area and residential gross floor area
be not more than 366,010.1 square metres. The proposed buildings will have approximately 369,021.0
square metres of combined non-residential gross floor area and residential gross floor area.

Size has only gone up by 3,000 sq metres which probably means larger podium and two fewer floors.

boiler - I don't expect either of those parking lots to exist for too many moons, and I think the artword's lot already has a sales office being built on it for the Starck condo, n'est-ce pas?

The sales centre takes up about 15-20% of the lot, the rest is parking, with a booth and everything. Remember that it's not just the theatre, but also the old brick building next to it that were demolished.

As you say, hopefully these lots won't last, but as the situation stands, the parking capacity of this area has grown during this transition period.

Remember MLS - they said the same thing about base and tower.

So Im gonna say 51 stories in combination. 10 story base, 41 story office tower.

41 stories would be a real let down. I mean it was always supposed to be a 50 story building before they found a tenant.

Then it was supposed to be a phased development 30 story first phase and 20 story second phased added later.

It will live on in pictures--and in movies. The parking scene with the car stunt, "find a spot, d*ckhead!" at the beginning of Police Academy was filmed there.

I'll have to check that out. The price there had jumped recently...the lot was a cost effective place to meet other 905ers when going to the club.

I'll have to check out one of the other lots mentioned next time I'm downtown.

My Dad's van was in that parking lot for a split second as they panned by in that movie.

"I mean it was always supposed to be a 50 story building before they found a tenant."

no ... 40 storeys

At one point the proposal tower was potentially going to be dropped to 34 stories - so 41 is good news.

A PCL container has arrived on site. Parking closing notice also on the Ritz Carlton site so both should start in the next few days.

Both towers are going up at once? Is the Ritz Carelton sales office sitting on the construction site?

Back