News   Jul 16, 2024
 453     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     2 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

Re: 43 storey RBC office tower to start construction in July

^True, however the beltline is more NYCC than 905

True but then they only have a million people. What will Calgary look like when they have two million people? They are making the same mistakes most North American cities did. Note that they mention parking access to these projects but nothing about transit.

what im saying is that mississauga and brampton combined are just as large as calgary. calgarys downtown core just doesnt have competition that big compared to toronto.

There was an interesting article about how Calgary is looking into the kinds of building materials that developers are using on towers. Apparantly they are thinking of keeping developers from using that ugly cheap stucco on projects. Should be interesting to see if anything happens.

The garment/fashion district would certainly benefit from a higher standard of building design and materials- there's certainly a lot more to be considered than height restrictions. One thing immediately apparent about Toronto's urban areas is that architecturally it's very willy-nilly- one part of the downtown looks and feels' very much like another. I think in the garment district in particular there is opportunity for some architectural continuity- a distincly different urban form.

As for the new tower- I must say from the rendering so far it doesn't look like anything eyecatching. Indeed it looks rather bland.

Just a quick update. Word on the street is that the latest advertisment in The Star comes attached with the line 'Now preparing for construction'. This will be an interesting project to watch rise.

The Post had that ad about two weeks ago.

This project certainly went mute. I found it appropriate to bump this thread seeing we are now in July.

Nothing going on onsite as of yesterday.

I'm wondering if the prospect of losing two of Canada's largest mining companies out of the downtown core will be a factor in projecting downtown office space demand. I doubt it, but at my accounting firm we have 10 to 20 people (depending on time of year) working on Falconbridge alone.

I hope that merger doesn't go through. Strategically, it's terrible for the Canadian mining sector.

They will still need to have their Canadian accounting work done here, and they don't have much space in downtown anyway.

I think it will depend on how much of the head-office is retained in Toronto. The whole point of a merger is cost "synergies" - meaning how much duplication can they cut out so I imagine some space reduction is to be expected. The parent can also decide to keep thier existing auditors or change to the parent's - either way that would stay in TO, but the bulk of the work will always be at the parent's office and not at the sub.

Phelps Dodge has stated that they will not eliminate any jobs for two years. The businesses will run on their own anyway - PD doesn't have Nickel operations, that will be left entirely up to Inco and Falconbridge. There may be some movement between Inco & Falconbridge in terms of divisional reporting but the number of jobs in Canada should remain the same. The auditors will likely change to PwC from E&Y for Falconbridge as PwC audits both Inco and Phelps Dodge.

JG

despite the on-site work we're seeing, i still put the probability of RBC going up as likelier than that of B/A. RBC has a tenant, and most of their subcontractors have already signed delivery agreements. B/A is still waiting on a lead tenant, and ellis don is yet to hand out tenders for most of the work.

that's not to say that B/A won't happen. i'm just saying that RBC is even more sure to go, even if the shovels aren't in the ground yet

Back