News   May 07, 2024
 114     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 177     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 724     3 

RapidTO: Citywide Streetcar Priority (City of Toronto, TTC)

Don't you want more people taking the subway into town vs just driving the whole trip?
if only we had designed one of the best bus networks in the world (and absolutely the best in Canada/USA) specifically to funnel people to the subway, that currently moves 100s of thousands of people a day. One can only dream :/

if only we had designed one of the best bus networks in the world (and absolutely the best in Canada/USA) specifically to funnel people to the subway, that currently moves 100s of thousands of people a day. One can only dream :/
The best bus network won't help when it's 30 degrees outside, you have to work with reality

Temperatures are not the problem, the service levels are.

On a map, the TTC network looks very complete. But the frequencies of many suburban bus lines are quite atrocious. The 37 and 45 are two great examples of this, 22 and 20 minute frequencies on the Steeles branches in evening rush hour. Only a masochist would willingly choose this service.

The best bus network won't help when it's 30 degrees outside, you have to work with reality
The reality is that latest TTC metrics state that every weekday 1 million residents board surface transit from an outdoor stop. It is how the majority of workers commute and maybe if we get rid of a pitiful amount of parking surrounding stations more of these people can live on transit lines and wont have to wait outside in 30 degree heat or freezing cold.

1692339193862.png

The reality is that latest TTC metrics state that every weekday 1 million residents board surface transit from an outdoor stop. It is how the majority of workers commute and maybe if we get rid of a pitiful amount of parking surrounding stations more of these people can live on transit lines and wont have to wait outside in 30 degree heat or freezing cold.

View attachment 500897
It should be noted that people that rely on transit are less likely be able to afford a place beside a station even if more housing is built beside them.

Also 1 million trips usually means less than 500,000 people as they are counted twice for their return trip. Others might take 4-8 trips a day going to different places throughout the day.

View attachment 500897
I don't see why people here hate parking? First off I hate pretty much all forced urban development since you have literally nothing within walking distance anyways. No grocery except a sobeys or raba, no real jobs usually either.

SECONDLY, a lot of the lots have hydro lines running through so you'd NEVER be able to build anything aside from parking anyways. And I feel a lot of people would rather drive the whole way to their destination if subway parking didn't exist.

Temperatures are not the problem, the service levels are.

On a map, the TTC network looks very complete. But the frequencies of many suburban bus lines are quite atrocious. The 37 and 45 are two great examples of this, 22 and 20 minute frequencies on the Steeles branches in evening rush hour. Only a masochist would willingly choose this service.
You are literally talking to someone who lives next to a 10 min frequency route, who choses to drive to the station because of the weather and are telling me I don't exist?
You're forgetting the 945 and 937 exist!

Because of the construction that apparently "ended" weeks ago but is still very much going on it wouldn't make that much sense to up the frequency if you see 3 buses waiting to cross finch due to traffic

Huh? What are you talking about? When did I say you don't exist?

If you can't wait for a bus with a 10 minute frequency when it's 30 degrees out, I have no sympathy. Also, I don't know what adding more buses to a line with 10 minute frequencies has to do with what I said? I was talking about lines with 22 and 20 minute frequencies??

Huh? What are you talking about? When did I say you don't exist?

If you can't wait for a bus with a 10 minute frequency when it's 30 degrees out, I have no sympathy. Also, I don't know what adding more buses to a line with 10 minute frequencies has to do with what I said? I was talking about lines with 22 and 20 minute frequencies??
You're saying "Temperatures are not the problem" and the frequency of the 45 is too low when that's BS when you include the 945 especially considering it runs as a local bus for over half the route.

Also I really don't care if I have your sympathy. But holllyy so many people here are disconnected from reality. Including the 5 min walk, it was over 30 mins from when I left my door to when I got on a bus. At most it should be 15 mins, but it was double that due to the bus being late. Why would anyone deal with that when they have an alternative? I certainly will just drive to the subway $3-6 for parking is worth not getting burnt and sweaty! Another example of being disconnected from reality is people asking for the TTC to re-develop parking lots that can't be anything else due to hydro lines.

Back