News   May 02, 2024
 759     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 393     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 315     0 

Queen's Park North Revitalization

So many beautiful mature trees in that park - one of my favourites, in the whole city, is the huge white oak just to the north-west of Eddie.

Does anyone know what's going on at Queen's Park? They have had scaffolding and green netting up for several weeks but I can't seem to get any info on the project here or elsewhere... :confused:

I noticed a couple months ago they are finally doing something about the pile of dirt the statue sits on, it's been a while since I was there so I don't know what it looks like now.

I noticed a couple months ago they are finally doing something about the pile of dirt the statue sits on, it's been a while since I was there so I don't know what it looks like now.

It looks exactly the same as it did a couple of months ago. Work on the statue is about as rapid as work on the fountains at Queen & University.

However, the OP was asking about work on the building proper, not the park. I don't have an answer, sadly.

I believe there were some interior renovations planned last year - washrooms etc - not sure if they were completed yet

Really like what they are considering. I think the Wellesley St. reconfiguration will be crucial, particularly the inclusion of (food) vendors.

When will toronto realize planting some trees and installing a few benches are far from enough? An urban park should be more than that.

I go to UofT, live around the area, and also frequently walk across the park and even go there to relax and have picnics or what not when the weather is nice. But every time Im at the park I always think they could a much better job with the park considering its prominence and importance to downtown toronto. There quite a couple random pathways that lead to other pathways, some are paved(cheap looking) and others are dirt and gravel. I didn't get a chance to go through the revitalization plans that were posted cause its finals season, can someone sum up what the proposed changes would be?

Thanks in advance!

Did you at least *try* to read the linked PDF?

AoD

Obviously not. I was never a huge 'user' of QPN, but I loved the revitalization of Philosopher's Walk (which continues with the Music Dept. rebuild). The addition of the running track and re-routing of bikes and re-use of Wellesley all seem like great ideas, although I'm skeptical the 'continuous grass' thing can be done without French-style 'don't touch my grass' signs...

I go to UofT, live around the area, and also frequently walk across the park and even go there to relax and have picnics or what not when the weather is nice. But every time Im at the park I always think they could a much better job with the park considering its prominence and importance to downtown toronto. There quite a couple random pathways that lead to other pathways, some are paved(cheap looking) and others are dirt and gravel. I didn't get a chance to go through the revitalization plans that were posted cause its finals season, can someone sum up what the proposed changes would be?

Thanks in advance!

They are not "plans" at this stage, more like concepts - basically reorganized/improved paving and pathways, more formal spaces for monuments, lawns for the undergrowth, etc.

Given the notoriety of the space as a cruising ground at night, it will be curious to see how the designers deal with this issue. Speaking of trails - this would be amazing at night winding through the urban forest of QPN:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...icate_glowinthedark_bike_path_in_toronto.html

The next public consultation meeting is on Jan 28, 2015.

AoD

Last edited:
Really like what they are considering. I think the Wellesley St. reconfiguration will be crucial, particularly the inclusion of (food) vendors.

Definitely. I've always thought having a small café or walk-up ice cream stand like the one cited in the PDF (Bryant Park) would be great in QP, provided the park can draw more people into it to make that a workable business.

Nice to see they're planning on keeping/upgrading the running track, as well. That's a super-handy amenity and pulls a lot of folks into the park at dawn and dusk. Since it's almost exactly 800 meters it's perfect for interval work. I use it all the time but the footing's a bit dicey in the northwest corner.

Back