News   Jul 16, 2024
 44     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 457     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 560     2 

Queen's Park North Revitalization

Somehow, I think Earth Heals Herself's headed for the Are Be/Mystery White Boy basement sooner or later...

Why not? I've seen this plants in a few city gardens. I'd rather have something such as this over the typical monotony of tulips, begonias, etc... There's no point in plating trilliums as they only bloom for 3 or 4 weeks in the spring. We're probably better off planting annuals, since perennials bloom for a max of 2 months and the former are in bloom all spring and summer.

A well planned garden of perennials will see colour and countless blooms from mid to late April until early October. A great example are the gardens all around the apartments at the the City Park Co-op on Alexander Street between Yonge & Church Sts., take a walk through sometime.

Agreed... and there are all kinds of native plants, grasses and shrubs that can be used for consecutive colour/bloom. Not to say that annuals couldn't be added into the mix for some colour structure. The point is there should be symbolism to every choice in Queen's Park.

Yes, they're called hipsters now. They're basically a modern take on the hippie.

Hippies smoked pot and took LSD. Hipsters do coke and drink PBR. Hippies were for peace and sex. Hipsters are just for sex. Hippies were not hardly self-aware. Hipsters are painfully ironic.

There is a report at the TEYCC today on the Queen's Park revitalisation - which is starting in the spring. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.TE12.60

The funding is apparently available (and more is expected in the 2012 budget:

"Funds for the restoration work in Queen's Park North are Council approved and coming from Capital Projects as follows: 1) $208,000 approved in 2010 under PARK 576, Queen's Park Improvements S45, and 2) $125,000 approved in 2011 under PARK 594, Queen's Park Improvements S45. Another $345,000 under PARK 614, Queens Park Improvement FY2012 S42 has been included in the 10-Year Capital Plan for Parks, Forestry and Recreation, and is subject to Council approval in January 2012."

That's great to hear. They really need to set the bar high for Queen's Park. Such a vibrant and prominent place in the city deserves the best.

I couldn't agree more, this is fabulous news for a greatly neglected mid-sized green-space in the heart of the city.

That's great to hear. They really need to set the bar high for Queen's Park. Such a vibrant and prominent place in the city deserves the best.

Isn't this just a few trees? This space needs the traffic tunnel, and it needs Taddle Creek. But I think the City has an aversion to spending money anywhere near the provincial Leg.

The budget it admittedly still rather light, but if they could at least fix up the elements that are downright offensive like the trashy benches and eroded mound for the King Edward VII statue, and perhaps repave the central area with granite and some of the crossing paths with new asphalt (for now), the park wouldn't be an embarrassment. Some lighting for the monuments wouldn't break the bank, either. It should be more ambitious than that, though, and the condo development in the area could mean extra funds devoted to the space if it wasn't so ignored.

I've always wished Edwards Gardens or High Park were right downtown ... Edwards Gardens is amazingly well maintained !
People always go on about how we don't have great parks compared to other cities but Edwards Gardens fits the bill less the fact its far from downtown :(

I've always wished Edwards Gardens or High Park were right downtown ... Edwards Gardens is amazingly well maintained !
People always go on about how we don't have great parks compared to other cities but Edwards Gardens fits the bill less the fact its far from downtown :(

James Gardens in Etobicoke is beautiful, too. I love the spring-fed ponds, with the water then flowing down the hill into other ponds by a stream. Those gardens have everything, from the most formal gardens to sprawling lawns framed by rural-looking landscapes. I wonder who designed the gardens; I haven't encountered any credit to the landscape architects.

James Gardens in Etobicoke is beautiful, too. I love the spring-fed ponds, with the water then flowing down the hill into other ponds by a stream. Those gardens have everything, from the most formal gardens to sprawling lawns framed by rural-looking landscapes. I wonder who designed the gardens; I haven't encountered any credit to the landscape architects.

Sure then, lets move them both downtown !

Along with the Science Center ... now that would be amazing !

According to the BCCA newsletter, work was supposed to begin on the site around the King Edward statue this August and then wrap up in October. I haven't seen too much action around the site so far.

Back