News   Jul 16, 2024
 315     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 617     2 

Queen's Park North Revitalization

The park could use a few stray leopards. In addition to that a 20 foot statue of Geddy Lee or Kim Mitchell. Like was mentioned above, granite paving would look incredible and better manicured lawns. Some gardens are needed as well.

The grass is well kept, the problem is some of it doesn't grow well under some of the very old, tall trees because of so much shade. More gardens, absolutely. And not of the "Queen's Park" petunias that are planted in the south park by the thousands each summer - interesting annuals and perennials around the fountain and statues.

Could we correct the title of this thread to "Queen's Park revitalization" please?

The park could use a few stray leopards. In addition to that a 20 foot statue of Geddy Lee or Kim Mitchell. Like was mentioned above, granite paving would look incredible and better manicured lawns. Some gardens are needed as well.

To chase away the bums that like to sleep on the benches?:p

They should tear up all the grass, place fresh soil underneath, add an underground sprinkler system, then re-sod the park. In areas where grass doesn't grow well due to the trees, riverstone could be added over the patchy grass or mulch. As for gardens, I'd like to see some canna stutgart plants. They're really colourful, tropical plants that would look great.

Canna leaves
canna-stuttgart.jpg

Canna flowers
Canna%20%27Stuttgart%27%20closeup%20SGE%20%28600%20x%20498%29.jpg

I'd happily do the gardening, personally. I have a huge passion for it and have been doing so my entire life. Give me a budget to work with and I'd spruce up the park really nicely.

Last edited:
They should tear up all the grass, place fresh soil underneath, add an underground sprinkler system, then re-sod the park. In areas where grass doesn't grow well due to the trees, riverstone could be added over the patchy grass or mulch. As for gardens, I'd like to see some canna stutgart plants. They're really colourful, tropical plants that would look great.

I love the way you think but remember that Queen's Park (north) is very well used for weekend events throughout the summer, sometimes tens of thousands of people flock there for concerts, cultural events, rallies and such. I can't think of where gardens could go without being in the way and getting trampled.

I love the way you think but remember that Queen's Park (north) is very well used for weekend events throughout the summer, sometimes tens of thousands of people flock there for concerts, cultural events, rallies and such. I can't think of where gardens could go without being in the way and getting trampled.

Move rallies elsewhere. The last thing the grass needs is thousands of people standing on it.

We shouldn't make too many changes to the park, tho! We don't want to disturb the park's already fascinating, yet delicate ecosystem: the nighttime gay sexcapades.

Does that still go on? I often cycle or walk my dog through there at night in the summer, it's so peaceful and quiet in the middle, and I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary going on. There's usually other people walking around, so I can't say for sure what they're up to.

It has always gone on. One of John Grube's tomes ( Queens and Flaming Virgins: Towards a Sense of Gay Community, perhaps ... ) tells of an encounter during a thunderstorm in the bandshell that once stood there that sounds terribly romantic.

Philosopher's Walk used to be a hot spot in the '70s and 80s before they expanded the building at the south end of it and clearcut the shrubbery. So I've heard tell.

It has always gone on. One of John Grube's tomes ( Queens and Flaming Virgins: Towards a Sense of Gay Community, perhaps ... ) tells of an encounter during a thunderstorm in the bandshell that once stood there that sounds terribly romantic.

Philosopher's Walk used to be a hot spot in the '70s and 80s before they expanded the building at the south end of it and clearcut the shrubbery. So I've heard tell.

Oooh, how terribly titillating, my dear! You're going to corrupt some of the younger members.It's almost as if you're reminiscing about your own romantic liaisons. I'm horribly shocked, utterly beyond all salvation SHOCKED. Prostrate.

Last edited:
You're right. Esthetics before Democracy.

Toronto has enough useless protesting every year. Rallies could be held anywhere. Taking up the entire park for a rally is selfish anyway. What if people just want to relax but are forced to leave because of some noisy hippies?

Who the hell has sex in a park? Somebody contact George Michael and tell him about the hoopla that goes on here.

Toronto has enough useless protesting every year. Rallies could be held anywhere. Taking up the entire park for a rally is selfish anyway. What if people just want to relax but are forced to leave because of some noisy hippies?

Hmm, sounds like one of those Adrien Visentin-esque ReformAlliancers turned Green here...

Back