News   Jun 26, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.9K     2 

Quebec-Windsor Corridor

My apologies, it’s not you it’s me: I got mixed up with east and west…!

Okay, I see you have swapped east and west in your original post. Do you think there is room for a third track on CPKC's Vaudreuil Sub? It looks pretty tight to me. Maybe VIA could jog over to CN's Kingston Sub in Dorion, but I suspect that would just move the bottleneck down the track from Coteau to Dorion.

Okay, I see you have swapped east and west in your original post. Do you think there is room for a third track on CPKC's Vaudreuil Sub? It looks pretty tight to me. Maybe VIA could jog over to CN's Kingston Sub in Dorion, but I suspect that would just move the bottleneck down the track from Coteau to Dorion.
The better question then would be from where Via's ownership ends, is there space for 4 tracks all the way to Central Station.

Given that CPKC seems content with having a single track west of De Beaujeu for exclusive use, I’m inclined to assume that the same is true east of De Beaujeu (including the Vaudreuil Sub). Having HxR and exo share a single track over the two bridges leading to the Isle-Perrôt would be far from ideal, but still manageable. And even if you’d need to build new bridges, you’d still require substantially less capital funding than building an entire new freight bypass with a new crossing of the Saint-Lawrence Seaway…

Last edited:
Here is a rough sketch of what I am talking about. The black line represents my proposed new CPCK main line. I drew it as a very rough approximation of existing and former corridors, and there are other options. CPKC would still have access to Cote St. Luke yard (if they kept it), the Parc Sub and the Outremont Spur. The spurs off of the Vaudreuil could be accessed after hours.

There are many obstacles to this actually happening, but I did say it is a fantasy.

View attachment 564425
Not so easy to get from the former CN Massema Subdivision to the current CN Massema Spur - diamond is no longer extant. I suspect any such project would need to be going under or over CPKC here.

1715979957495.png

Not so easy to get from the former CN Massema Subdivision to the current CN Massema Spur - diamond is no longer extant. I suspect any such project would need to be going under or over CPKC here.

View attachment 564773
Why would CPKC need to connect to the current CN Massema Spur? Admittedly it might be a challenge to connect to the northern branch of Adirondack Sub, as that would be a tight turn, but I did say it is a fantasy.

Why would CPKC need to connect to the current CN Massema Spur? Admittedly it might be a challenge to connect to the northern branch of Adirondack Sub, as that would be a tight turn, but I did say it is a fantasy.
You are right, you wouldn’t need a grade separation here (if the assumption is that only CPKC would use the bypass), but you’d absolutely need to grade-separate Coteau Junction, which is going to be very expensive and of zero utility for passenger operations…

Back