News   Aug 28, 2024
 1.1K     6 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 442     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 479     0 

Provincial Highway Service Centres

It's definitely "good Quadrangle" meaning decent quality modern design. I'd be more impressed if they emphasized local materials, especially in regards to the stone. The lighting fixtures look generic though. Something more original would have been better.

Instead of announcing the reconstruction every three months, why doesn't the government actually get on with construction? They've put the same press release out at least three times in the last year.

This is the first I heard that Quadrangle is designing the service stations. Most of the service stations between Toronto and Quebec are closed and the buildings and gas bars demolished. They are working on them and eventually they will be finished. I read an article this afternoon (can't find it now) that Canadian Tire gas bars will be going into the new service stations.

I don't want nor expect top chef-cooked gourmet.

I want real food not what passes for food amongst the future diabetics of the nation.

Too much to ask for in North America, I know.

When originally designed, they had far better food choices than they do currently. Real food.

Really? I've heard nothing but bad things about the old Scott's-operated cafeterias - the food being all prepared, like how Howard Johnson's restaurants were, but worse. I've been told that bringing in the fast food made a big improvement.

I've got nothing against Timmy's/Wendy's/McD's being in the service centres, that's what you find everywhere. Tim Hortons at least has serviceable coffee. But there could be room for some variation as well to go along with the typical selection, which you can find sometimes at the larger Turnpike service centres in some states. Otherwise, go off the highway and find something in any town of any size. I do dislike HMS Host though, because I discovered that they charge more than town-located franchised fast food (they also operate the Nobel Wendy's/Tims/Esso, which is thankfully almost by-passed by the 400 extension now).

They should make it so that in any location the selection on opposite sides of the freeway are different. Often I end up eating when making two hour drives and it sucks being presented the same menu going some place as when coming back. Wendys+Tims+Esso, Harveys+Second Cup+Mr.Sub+Sunoco, A&W+Starbucks+Subway+PetroCan, McDonalds+Quiznos+Shell. This would allow a trip which goes past two stations in each direction to provide four completely different menus and choices of gas stations and a good mix of Canadian companies as well as international brands. Of course they aren't going to do this... instead they will likely end up with all the same thing because that will bring the most revenue in.

The MTO won't be running the restaurants, so I think their position should be put in whatever supports the most business at a reasonable rent rate. Long-term leasing of the whole facility makes the most sense for the MTO as they’re not really geared towards picking venders. Long-term lease means you get a cartel of stores banding together for the site.

They should start a Crown Corporation for Service. Give the Service Agent the service centres and set up tenancy based on low base rate plus profit sharing. This’ll keep the service centres viable rather than just closing them out when the tenants can’t afford the long-term lease. That'd break the monotomy of choice and maybe make quality (high margin) a consideration more than quantity (low margin).

The MTO does not have a diversity mandate for their service, so why would you expect they would put any effort or funds into diversity? If you want to promote diversity, you need a mandate. If you believe in diversity and capitalism, you provide equal opertunity for all players and let the market do want it wants.

For example, if you are setting up an Indian-food business, do you want a location with lot of people that don't want to spend a lot of time in your store (Service Centre) or do you want a location with as many people who are willing to spend 45-90 minutes (Downtown locale)? People start MacDonald's francises in Service Centres because that's where the demand and money is. If you want to change that, change demand or change the funding structure. Imposing ethic foods or high-quality food or anything else is just a recipe for failed businesses.

Service Centres are targetted at those that don't want to spend the time getting off and on the highway and those areas without 24-hour gas service "close" to the highway.

from ontroads

Canadian Tire To Build and Operate 23 Fuel and Convenience Store Locations Along
Highways 400 and 401 in Ontario

Email StoryIM StoryPrintable View.TORONTO, April 6 /CNW/ - Canadian Tire
Corporation, Limited (CTC, CTC.a) today announced an agreement to build and
operate gas bars and convenience stores at 23 state-of-the-art service centres
being redeveloped along Highways 400 and 401. The new service centres will
provide travellers with modern and accessible facilities for fuelling, shopping,
resting and quick service dining.

Under an agreement with the Province of Ontario, the centres will be redeveloped
and operated by Host Kilmer Service Centres (Host Kilmer); Host Kilmer has in
turn chosen Canadian Tire as the petroleum and associated convenience store
partner for all 23 locations.

"Automotive is a key differentiator for Canadian Tire and a competitive
advantage," said Michael Medline, President of Canadian Tire Automotive. "These
highways are the busiest in Ontario. We estimate the sites will generate six
million incremental transactions a year and will help us develop new and
longstanding relationships with customers."

Customers will be able to earn Canadian Tire Money through purchases at the pump
and in the convenience store, which will offer an assortment of items for
drivers on the go. "There are 78 Canadian Tire stores serving communities in
close proximity to the new service centres," continued Medline. "And, there is
great value for consumers and the Company in offering Canadian Tire Money that
can be redeemed within minutes of getting off the highway or at any of our 479
stores across the country."

The 23 service centres are anticipated to be the first LEED Silver certified in
Canada (an international standard for 'Leadership in Energy and Environmental
Design'). Seven sites are currently under construction and, by the end of 2012,
the plan projects 20 sites will be open for business. Host Kilmer, a partnership
between U.S.-based HMSHost and Canada's own Kilmer Van Nostrand Co. Limited, a
family-owned company with diversified interests in private equity,
infrastructure, brownfield development and the sports and entertainment
business, will operate the extensive network of travel centres.

Canadian Tire strives to be Canada's automotive authority and the new sites in
Ontario will complement the Company's national automotive assets that include:
273 Petroleum locations, 479 retail stores including 5,500 automotive service
bays and 87 PartSource hard parts and accessory stores.

Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (TSX: CTC.a, CTC), Canadian Tire is one of
Canada's most shopped general retailers with 479 stores across the country. The
core retail and automotive operation is strengthened by PartSource, an
automotive parts speciality chain; Canadian Tire Petroleum, one of the country's
largest independent retailers of gasoline; Mark's "Clothes That Work" is a
leading retailer of men's, women's and work apparel; and Canadian Tire Financial
Services, which has issued over five million Canadian Tire MasterCard credit
cards. More than 58,000 Canadians work across Canadian Tire's organization from
coast-to-coast in the enterprise's retail, financial services and petroleum
businesses.

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/06042010/30/link-f-cnw-canadian-tire-build-op\
erate-23-fuel-convenience-store.html

On top of this...I also found searching on Yahoo/Google that Burger King, A&W
will be coming to the service centres as well.

Mark

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/ontroads/message/17824

The MTO does not have a diversity mandate for their service, so why would you expect they would put any effort or funds into diversity? If you want to promote diversity, you need a mandate. If you believe in diversity and capitalism, you provide equal opertunity for all players and let the market do want it wants.

For example, if you are setting up an Indian-food business, do you want a location with lot of people that don't want to spend a lot of time in your store (Service Centre) or do you want a location with as many people who are willing to spend 45-90 minutes (Downtown locale)? People start MacDonald's francises in Service Centres because that's where the demand and money is. If you want to change that, change demand or change the funding structure. Imposing ethic foods or high-quality food or anything else is just a recipe for failed businesses.

Service Centres are targetted at those that don't want to spend the time getting off and on the highway and those areas without 24-hour gas service "close" to the highway.

Then let them have a mandate. Do you always merely rationalize the government's status quo?

There are plenty of ways of operating businesses. Mall food courts are more diversified today. The appeal of the service centre location is the captive market, because no one wants to go to a downtown locale further from the highway to get decent food when they're travelling by car. People have a lot of respect for certain ethnic foods as being more nutritious fast food with a less generic taste then the average burger or sub.

I don't need outlandish suggestions like changing demand or subsidizing retail, because diversity is not just some ideal for me; I see it in our demographics and the preferences on the street. It's easy to find Asian food made in ten minutes in downtown Toronto for a cheap price that you can eat in 10-15 minutes. The demand is clearly there.

Canadian Tire gas stations with A&W, Tim Hortons, and Burger King. Surprising. A&W is wholly Canadian owned, Tims is Canadian again, Canadian Tire is Canadian but their gas is from Esso, and Burger King.... I'm surprised Burger King still exists.

You expecting Burrito Boyz?

I was expecting McDonalds or Wendys, one of the major gas brands, and Tim Hortons or Subway. If I was allowed to guess which gas station they would use I would probably give up after many guesses ending with Husky, Pioneer, and Ultramar. A&W I would have guessed maybe 5th. Tims wasn't a big surprise. This is good for A&W and Canadian Tire for gas specifically because both brands need greater brand awareness.

Back