News   Apr 26, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 582     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

That's too bad. We need more education, not less.

Are they taking donations?

I'm sure they would; but I wouldn't.

I think you need to wait and see what the province decides to do.

I expect they will let Laurentian live; i don't see the politics or policy in killing it.

But you want to see what changes they make. (at least I would)

Perhaps I'm incorrect in my understanding of the law.

But as I understood it, the Crown cannot go bankrupt; ergo the institutions of the crown cannot.

The province is ultimately responsible.

I can't recall a hospital running deficits (which has happened quite often) ever filing CCAA.

Nor a university or school board.

I can recall financial difficulties and the province appointing a trustee and sacking the board.

But again, perhaps I'm missing information here; perhaps there is precedent of which I'm unaware.

I could also be wrong but I don't understand them to be an institution of the Crown. However, having said that, it seems that the Universities Foundations Act makes their foundations a Crown agency, but not the university itself, so it's a tad confusing:

2 The objects of each foundation are to solicit, receive, manage and distribute money and other property to support education and research at the university for which the foundation is established.
3 Each foundation is a Crown agency within the meaning of the Crown Agency Act.

No mention of the actual operation of the institution itself, it seems just the money.

They are regulated, given their charter, etc. by the government but are not an ABC (agency, board or commission). I don't know if there is precedent.

Edit: I came across the Laurentian University of Sudbury Act on the LU website but could not find it on e-laws as either a current or revoked statute. There has to be other enabling or empowering legislation governing universities, but it's too close to sleepy time.

Last edited:
Well, I AM currently unemployed and trying to buy up some analogue synths and new turntables and mixer so I'm in no rush to just hand my money out to all and sundry, don't you worry.

You're a tad unorthodox...............I don't know if I'd worry............but I would never presume to predict the Sunrise ........

Laurentian's situation sounds like a cash flow management problem, but these of course can have components both current and historical. As of this moment all we know is they simply owe a debt, and have no cash left to pay it, and no one will lend them money to pay it. That could be either a public or private debt, note I am using investment industry terms here, not government terms. I don't know if they floated public bonds and can't make an interest payment, or they have a more private arrangement with another financial institution and promised to pay them cash interest and cannot do that. No surprise this happened the first business day of February. This is a certainty that January 31 was a deadline for payment of some kind to someone.

Either way, I can't help but think back to multiple stories from 2015-2019 about Ontario Universities and Colleges becoming more and more dependent on foreign student fees, both because of decreasing government funding, but also the same schools were engaging in competitions for those students which resulted in dumping huge amounts into capital expenditures to make their schools the most flashy. And I mean "most flashy" not the "best school". A lot of these schools dumped tens of millions on amenities which were PR gestures only targeted to recruiting people from outside of Canada who would pay quadruple the going average tuition rate for what were trash programs they created only to get that money. Either way, recruiting 2,500 overseas students is like getting 10,000 Ontario students. Recruiting foreign students is a literal industry in Ontario now with six-figure salaries and six-figure expense accounts to the top of that group. Again, this isn't new. It's been going on for years and the bubble has now burst. But those capital expenditures on buildings required long term operating maintenance costs. Hey, where have we heard about this problem before (TTC)?

The same goes for the colleges too. I wouldn't be surprised if George Brown is one of the next. All that money for new buildings and residences in the past five years now sitting empty instead of 90% filled with foreign students, and 90% paid with money borrowed to get that student income stream to pay the debt interest? I expect its collapse and dissolution/merger next.

Last edited:
Apparently Laurentian was having cash-flow problems long before covid and they do have the problem that the population in northern Ontario is not growing (and actually shrinking in many places). They must also have a harder time attracting foreign students than a university in a larger cosmopolitan city. Not sure about GBC but they have a very good reputation and offer lots of employment-related courses and programs,

Apparently Laurentian was having cash-flow problems long before covid and they do have the problem that the population in northern Ontario is not growing (and actually shrinking in many places). They must also have a harder time attracting foreign students than a university in a larger cosmopolitan city. Not sure about GBC but they have a very good reputation and offer lots of employment-related courses and programs,
That's true that it has a strong reputation. Actually, if anything is first to go it will be the smaller satellite campuses of colleges and Universities before they are forced to make the really big decisions. Places like Humber College's Orangeville campus, or Brock University's Hamilton campus.

Schools under direct control of Ontario having problems.

'It’s shameful': family of deaf girl alleges abuse, culture of neglect in Ontario’s schools for the deaf

From link.
The family of a deaf girl is speaking out about what they call a consistent culture of neglect within Ontario’s schools for the deaf.

They wish to remain anonymous to protect their child’s identity, but say she’s been severely traumatized after her school failed to protect her from multiple assaults.

“We’re probably the world’s leaders in neglecting deaf children. It’s shameful,” the family told CityNews in a phone interview. “Our daughter was allowed to be mistreated for years because there was simply no accountability of her abusers.”

They allege the most recent abuse started in 2018, at the Ernest C. Drury School for the deaf in Milton, where their daughter was assaulted by an older student “at least a hundred pounds heavier and much stronger” than her.

In a letter to the Ministry of Education, the family says the assaults resulted in a brain injury and a significant fear of attending school. They say they complained that the school had failed to protect their daughter and in response, the family alleges the superintendent “covered up the school’s failure by withholding information from the police and failed to interview our daughter to get her account of the events.”

The family says their daughter was so severely traumatized, she started to experience severe headaches, nausea, photosensitivity and balance issues, which eventually escalated to psychotic episodes in class. During one such episode, she “suffered from hallucinations of people that were not there, people who told her to bring a knife to school and to kill herself, which she tried.”
“The school believed the bullies and didn’t believe her, that she was a victim. And this crushed her,” the family says. “It just made her health so much worse, because she was walking around terrified of getting hurt.”

They say the school denied their daughter medical accommodations, which caused avoidable and life-threatening physical and mental health struggles.

“I think she was failed by the system,” says Eugene Bhattacharya, the family’s lawyer. “Their responses contained misinformation and factual matters that were simply incorrect.”

Ontario’s deaf schools are run directly by the province and have long been accused of neglecting students.

In 2016, three schools for the deaf, including E.C. Drury, were named in a class-action suit alleging students were physically, sexually, and psychologically abused at the schools. The Ontario government settled, paying victims a total of $15 million. While families hoped the lawsuit would bring about change, they say the abuse and neglect have only continued.

“It isn’t a solution to simply have a new class action settlement every generation,” says Marshall Swadron, another lawyer for the family. “They have to get to the root of the problem and it seems to be a problem of supervision based on what we’ve seen.”

In a statement to CityNews, the Ministry of Education said it would be inappropriate to comment on specific student cases but they take all such allegations “very seriously.”

“[We] will fully investigate any such allegations. The provincial and demonstration schools branch takes the health, safety, well-being and learning needs of each student seriously,” they said.

The family wants the province to appoint an independent investigator to examine the schools. They’re hopeful that filing a complaint with the Ministry of Education and exposing this abuse will force the system to improve for all deaf students in Ontario.

That's true that it has a strong reputation. Actually, if anything is first to go it will be the smaller satellite campuses of colleges and Universities before they are forced to make the really big decisions. Places like Humber College's Orangeville campus, or Brock University's Hamilton campus.

I don't know that it would serve our larger institutions well; but I do wonder if some of the smaller ones wouldn't benefit from a nominal merger.

I'm thinking of the University of California system at a much smaller scale.

Perhaps pooling all the universities in Northern Ontario.

That doesn't necessarily mean shuttering any campuses, but leaning out Administrative costs; and perhaps being able to more effectively elicit grants and donations.

Something important for smaller schools is their transportation links both within their respective centres; but also to the nearest bigger cities.

I think if HFR goes through that could be exceeding helpful to Trent in Ptbo, if there's something that resembles an hourly connection to Toronto and Ottawa.

I don't think it would bring vast numbers of commuter students, though some increase would be expected, but it would make the school more appealing to many if family and big city amenities were a bit more convenient.

In the case of North Bay, that's a real challenge.

A restored Northlander would not be sufficient in my judgement to move the needle.

At least not at previously travel times and frequencies.

Whether there's a viable option that would make the school more attractive to commuter students in the near north with bus/train connections to Sudbury, Mattawa; I'm not sure about..

Likewise, making it more attractive to GTA students by getting transportation to a point where a weekend trip back to the City wasn't an exhausting, time-consuming endeavour could be a serious challenge.

From link.

Folks, he saw his shadow...
145990154_2815706538643324_8334309566729513072_o.jpg

Wonder if Doug Ford is using Sam Oosterhoff (MPP Niagara West and Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Education), as an example of how home schooled worked?

From link.

As the parliamentary assistant, Oosterhoff will be responsible for aiding Education Minister Lisa Thompson (now Stephen Lecce) with legislation, committee matters, and working with the community and industry members. Given that it's the Ministry of Education, his role will have a big impact on students and parents in Ontario.

But the big problem is that Ontarians think he is really unqualified for the position, and it's not just because of his age. Oosterhoff was homeschooled his entire life, meaning he has never been in the Ontario public school system, the part of Government that he is now in charge of.

Personally, I see him as a bad example of how "home schooling" turns out.

Back