News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

We really should return to nuclear as a large source of power, at least in the interim. There are much safer designs available (salt-cooled reactor cores for instance) that are nearly impossible to melt down. We should also look at SMR (Small/Medium Reactors) in/closer to urban areas, which would cut transmission loss, be overall safer, have a cheaper and faster upfront setup, and be more environmentally friendly with a coolant system that doesn't need to be dumped into local waterways.

I'm not sure those systems are ready for commercialization, but could be mistaken.

I can only imagine the howls if a nuclear reaction was proposed anywhere "in/closer to urban areas".

I can't be sure, honestly.

I wasn't in the room, and my closest source would be at least once removed.

I've heard different reasons given.

These included:

-The cost of upgrading the transmission corridor (in my opinion this is a poor reason as it was still far more cost effective that the latest Darlington rehab)

- The desire for to nominally maintain full self-supply capability within Ontario.

and

-Saving the nuclear industry, in Ontario (I find this one most believable, but still highly questionable

I can envision any or all of those reasons being cited as plausible. While no doubt it would be less costly to upgrade transmission corridors vs. a plant upgrade, it would not be cheap. Saving the nuclear industry is a common Canadian theme. We have a commendable track record of developing cutting edge technology but fail to be able to commercialize them. The CANDU reactor was a successful design but only had limited penetration internationally. In this and many other endeavours, we are simply aren't a big enough market ourselves to make them profitable. If the industry - whatever it is - can't be sustained the brains that developed it will drift away.

I'm not sure those systems are ready for commercialization, but could be mistaken.

Gen IV test reactors are being rolled out across the globe starting in 2020, so 2030 for new reactors doesn’t seem too far off.

I can only imagine the howls if a nuclear reaction was proposed anywhere "in/closer to urban areas".

Y’know, no one seems to give a toss when various Fleet Weeks happen and a dozen small enriched uranium reactors are parked right next to Manhattan, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles and other cities.
People crow alllllll the time about things that pose little danger; cell towers, GMOs, vaccines. It doesn’t make them right.

Gen IV test reactors are being rolled out across the globe starting in 2020, so 2030 for new reactors doesn’t seem too far off.

Y’know, no one seems to give a toss when various Fleet Weeks happen and a dozen small enriched uranium reactors are parked right next to Manhattan, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles and other cities.
People crow alllllll the time about things that pose little danger; cell towers, GMOs, vaccines. It doesn’t make them right.

Fair point but the exampled "no one" are American, who are much more supportive of the presence and role of their military. A temporary visit is a bit different than a permanent installation parked outside of you back window. We have a history of invoking the "won't someone please think of the children" arguments.
Also, no fear of a visit of nuclear powered ships to Toronto. All (US anyway) exceed Seaway capacity.

Are they? That sounds awfully optimistic.

People are distracted by all the sailors :p Anyways @lenaitch is right - they have a different view of the military. Nevermind nuke-powered ships in Toronto though - considering we have 3 of the world largest reactor complexes in the world around Southern Ontario with GW-level outputs, who cares about a few more 100MW class reactors floating around even if they can get here.

AoD

Are they? That sounds awfully optimistic.

According to https://www.world-nuclear.org/infor...-reactors/generation-iv-nuclear-reactors.aspx :
(Updated May 2019)
  • An international task force is sharing R&D to develop six nuclear reactor technologies for deployment between 2020 and 2030. Four are fast neutron reactors.
…and of interest, we have a stake in it too:
In May 2019 Terrestrial Energy, the Canadian developer of a molten salt reactor, became the first private sector company to join GIF.

According to the Globe, Doug Ford's clapping seal circus has wasted 231 million dollars of taxpayers' money on cancelling green energy initiatives.

Yet another myopically minded clusterfuck that Burloak can twist himself into a pretzel attempting to justify.

According to the Globe, Doug Ford's clapping seal circus has wasted 231 million dollars of taxpayers' money on cancelling green energy initiatives.

Yet another myopically minded clusterfuck that Burloak can twist himself into a pretzel attempting to justify.

From link.

But gas plants, of course.

AoD

Back