News   Apr 22, 2024
 789     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 672     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

For some reason, I didn't get an alert for my name being mentioned. Just glad I happened to be trolling to see this.

Holy Moly! That must be really buried, as this is the first mention of it. My knee-jerk reaction is *unconsitutional*! They don't have the power to over-ride the Constitution, not even with a 'not-with-standing' clause.

For a quick first take, here's what the Constitution *doesn't* protect:

http://www.eclc.ca/programs-service...s-under-the-charter-of-rights-and-freedoms-2/

I haven't even read the linked CBC article yet, I was just so shocked at the headline. More later...

Edit to Add:

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_31_of_the_Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms

The details surrounding the concept and legislation of 'Crown immunity' are way above my mental pay grade to offer much of anything meaningful. From what I understand, the corresponding Federal legislation has the 'two-step' procedure and either is or was subject to a Federal Appeals or Supreme Court challenge. I can't readily find if the Court has ruled. I would think, from a purely lay position, that if the Province tries to 'save themselves harmless' from the act of passing legislation; (i.e. arguments that a piece of legislation could cause harm), might have a measure of success. Like it or not, they were given a mandate to govern under the system we have. However, if they try to more broadly insulate themselves from actual torts and harms as a result of a piece of legislature (including the acts of their employees and agents), I would think they would have more difficulty. But, as mentioned, not a legal or constitutional expert.
From today's press release. A tangible touchpoint? Really? (Source: https://news.ontario.ca/mgs/en/2019...urce=ondemand&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=p)

Seriously? A tangible touchpoint? It ain't a piece of the Shroud of Turin.
As an observer mentioned, beyond branding, this type of stuff is doing exactly what is was intended to do. It has people chattering about it and the really important stuff, like the substantial cuts to some ministries, is sneaking by. They're dangling keys in front of kittens.

The details surrounding the concept and legislation of 'Crown immunity' are way above my mental pay grade to offer much of anything meaningful.
I think it's above everyone's, including the courts, and here's a further example:
Gas stations that don't display carbon tax sticker could be fined up to $10K
By Allison Jones in News, Energy, Politics | April 12th 2019

Buried in Ontario's budget bill are fines of up to $10,000 per day for gas station operators who don't display government-mandated stickers about the price of the carbon tax.

The budget contains a new piece of legislation called the Federal Carbon Tax Transparency Act that would require gas stations to display the sticker on each pump. The sticker shows the federal carbon tax adding 4.4 cents per litre to the price of gas now, and rising to 11 cents a litre in 2022.

The legislation doesn't require the stickers to provide information about the cost of climate change impacts, nor does it require the stickers to provide information about carbon rebates offered by the federal government as part of its plan.

The Ontario legislation lets the government send inspectors to see if gas stations are properly displaying the stickers and sets out penalties for non-compliance.

Individuals could be fined up to $500 each day, or up to $1,000 a day for subsequent offences. Corporations could be fined up to $5,000 a day, or up to $10,000 a day for subsequent offences.

Obstructing an inspector would carry a fine of at least $500 and up to $10,000. [...]
https://www.nationalobserver.com/20...display-carbon-tax-sticker-could-be-fined-10k

There are, of course, many questions being asked about this too, but what no-one has mentioned so far is the ability of the Feds to use Order in Council to make it illegal to either require this, to do this without displaying the rebate details, or to even mandate the not-posting of anything of a political nature, along with a challenge to the Province to take it to court. I pity the poor vendors caught in this.

Under the Constitution and subsequent acts in compliance to it, energy is a shared jurisdiction, albeit differing across the provinces. In the event, I suspect this requirement by the Ont Cons violates something even more mundane than the Constitutional requirements.

It's a certainty this will be tested in court, even with the Cons admitting today that they don't know how it can be enforced.

PS:

Last edited:
Here is a graphic to print out and stick on top of Ford's anti-carbon tax stickers at the gas pump.
This is an interesting turn of events, as it may allow the Feds to 'keep their hands clean' on this as per dragging it to the courts, as if this becomes a 'guerrilla movement' as I'm sure it will, then is the owner responsible for the actions of the Public?

Try that one in court. Methinks Dougie Bone is in for a tough chew. And a well deserved one...not only will this go viral, Dougie's gonna have his sorry doggie ass dragged through the doo-doo while everyone lifts their leg on him.

This is looking like fun...

Addendum: Just had a great idea. Take that print-out to Deco Labels, and order a hundred or so. They will refuse you, doubtless, and right there is cause for a court test.

Just enjoying a visit to their website, and slipped on this:
Eco-friendly, LED ink systems are being employed to reduce energy and enhance food-packaging safety. We are proud to offer liner waste recycling for our clients. We want to do our part in building a sustainable future.

Our facilities have switched to LED lighting and we have auto on/off sensors. Deco is diverting waste cardboard and film from landfills to recycling. The majority of raw and pressure sensitive paper purchased is from FSC certified vendors.
https://decolabels.com/innovation-development/being-green/

Rich in essential irony...

Last edited:
The Toronto April 16, 2019 Supplementary Report - Toronto's Transit Expansion Program - Update and Next Steps is at this link. Sixty-one questions (p. 61) that Doug Ford needs to answer to.

The following questions apply to all four transit projects identified in the transit proposal outlined in the 2019 Ontario Budget.
1. At what stage in the project lifecycle is each project, relative to either the City/TTC project lifecycle map (in EX4.1) or the Metrolinx Benefits Management Framework?
2. Is Metrolinx preparing a business case analysis for each project in the new Ontario plan? If so, when will these be reported to the Metrolinx Board?
3. What level of design was used to develop the cost estimate and schedule for each project?
4. What is the cost and schedule estimate classification for each project?
5. What is included in each cost estimate (e.g., financing, property acquisition, escalation, operating, maintenance, fleet, maintenance and storage facilities, etc.)?
6. Who prepared the cost estimates? Have they been peer-reviewed/validated by a third party?
7. Have operating cost estimates been prepared for each project?
8. What are the ridership projections for each project for each of the following:
a. Peak point demand
b. Weekday demand
c. New riders
9. What input assumptions were used in the modelling work with respect to the following:
a. Forecast year (e.g., 2031, 2041);
b. Population and employment growth;
c. Land use assumptions;
d. Service integration with TTC surface transit;
e. Proposed service plan(s);
f. Capacity of transit lines and proposed transfer stations;
g. Fares; and
h. Other planned network improvements (e.g., SmartTrack Stations Program, Waterfront Transit Network, Line 1 Capacity Improvements, Eglinton East LRT, GO Expansion, Durham-Scarborough BRT, etc.)
10. What are the impacts on the City/TTC transit network resulting from these projects?
Sheppard East Extension
59. How will the Province advance work on the proposed extension of Line 4 (Sheppard) to McCowan?
60. What is the status of the confirmed funding for the Sheppard East LRT?
61. What technology is proposed for the rapid transit line east of McCowan? What will this change of plans mean for the approved Conlins LRV Maintenance and Storage Facility?

If the budget is an example of how Doug Ford does business, we should worry. Incomplete information even days after. If Deco Labels is still under control of Doug Ford, walk away from doing any business with them.

Last edited:
This is hilarious. Well played Mr. Natyshak

NDP revives Tory bill curbing taxpayer-funded partisan ads in bid to embarrass Ford’s government

The New Democrats are reviving a Progressive Conservative bill from the Tories’ opposition days in a bid to embarrass Premier Doug Ford’s government for its taxpayer-funded partisan advertising binge.

NDP MPP Taras Natyshak is tabling private member’s legislation identical to a bill introduced by Tory MPP Sylvia Jones two years ago that would revive the auditor general’s powers to veto commercials deemed to be politically partisan.

Doug Ford threatens to change expiry date for Ontario teachers’ contracts

From link.

Teachers’ contracts will not be immune to Ford government changes if the premier gets his way.

On Tuesday, Doug Ford took a strong stance on upcoming contract negotiations, suggesting he wants to change the current expiry date and cautioning educators against reacting with strike action.

Speaking with reporters after an announcement in Markham, Ford called it “amazing” that all education sector collective bargaining agreements end on Aug. 31, just days before students return to classrooms.

“I can tell you, that’s never going to happen again under our watch after we get through this,” Ford warned, without specifying a preferred end date for contracts.

However, Education Minister Lisa Thompson stopped short of echoing the premier’s comments. She maintained that she wants to speed up the bargaining process and negotiate in good faith.

“I respect what the premier is saying, but again we are looking forward to having good faith conversations,” Thompson told reporters at Queen’s Park.

Thompson said it’s too soon to even discuss an appropriate end date for education contracts because the renegotiation process hasn’t kicked off yet. While Thompson said bargaining could begin as early as April 29, an official notice has not been sent out to unions.

Ford continued his tough talk about the negotiations, saying unions “declared war” on his government even before he took office. He suggested teachers currently have a “pretty good deal.”

“They get their three-month holiday, they get the best benefits package in the entire country, the best pension in the entire country,” Ford said. “They have a great gig.”

While Ford’s beef is with union leaders and not teachers, he also warned educators against striking.

The premier said a strike would inconvenience families and jeopardize students’ education.

“Don’t pull this strike nonsense on parents and on the poor students,” Ford said.

When asked whether she agreed with the premier’s comments about the labour talks, Thompson said she’s looking forward to having “good faith” conversations with unions.

Ford has not ruled out back-to-work legislation, but said the government will do “everything in its power” to prevent a strike from happening.

Doug Ford to change the expiry dates on bread and milk to make them last longer.

Back